• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1: Brumbies v Force

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reported in the Canberra Times that McKellar will announce his team for Sunday this afternoon. Expected that most positions will be filled by last year's Wallaby squad players with the No 7 spot in most contention.

Options for the 7 jersey are, Jahrome Brown, Rory Scott and Luke Reimer. Brown and Reimer are very competitive over the ball while Scott will tackle anything and get up to make the next one or two tackles as well. I don't think any of them are reknowned lineout options, but all have a bit of attacking flair. My personal pick would be to go with the most experienced in Brown who I think could establish himself as a top notch No 7 given a reasonable injury-free period.

Likely team would be:

Slipper, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Swain, Neville, Samu, Brown, Valetini, White, Lolesio, Wright, Simone, Ikitau, Muirhead, Banks.

Reserves : L Lonergan, Sio, Ross, Frost, Kennedy, R Lonergan, CFS, Mogg.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1. Tom Robertson, 2. Feleti Kaitu'u (c), 3. Santiago Medrano, 4. Fergus Lee-Warner, 5. Izack Rodda*, 6. Brynard Stander, 7. Kane Koteka, 8. Tim Anstee, 9. Ian Prior, 10. Reesjan Pasitoa*, 11. Manasa Mataele*, 12. Bayley Kuenzle*, 13. Kyle Godwin (vc), 14. Toni Pulu, 15. Jake Strachan.

RESERVES: 16. Andrew Ready, 17. Harrison Lloyd, 18. Greg Holmes, 19. Ryan McCauley, 20. Ollie Callan, 21. Issak Fines-Leleiwasa, 22. Jake McIntyre, 23. Richard Kahui.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1. James Slipper
2. Folau Fainga’a
3. Allan Ala'alatoa (c)
4. Darcy Swain
5. Cadeyrn Neville
6. Rob Valetini
7. Rory Scott
8. Pete Samu
9. Nic White
10. Noah Lolesio
11. Andy Muirhead**
12. Irae Simone
13. Len Ikitau
14. Tom Wright
15. Tom Banks

REPLACEMENTS

16. Lachlan Lonergan
17. Scott Sio
18. Tom Ross
19. Nick Frost
20. Ed Kennedy*
21. Ryan Lonergan
22. Ollie Sapsford*
23. Jesse Mogg

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
FORCE (1-15):
Tom Robertson,
Feleti Kaitu'u (c),
Santiago Medrano,
Fergus Lee-Warner,
Izack Rodda,
Brynard Stander,
Kane Koteka,
Tim Anstee,
Ian Prior,
Reesjan Pasitoa,
Manasa Mataele,
Bayley Kuenzle,
Kyle Godwin,
Toni Pulu,
Jake Strachan

RESERVES:
Andrew Ready,
Harrison Lloyd,
Greg Holmes,
Ryan McCauley,
Ollie Callan,
Issak Fines-Leleiwasa,
Jake McIntyre,
Richard Kahui

dru

Tim Horan (67)
1. James Slipper
2. Folau Fainga’a
3. Allan Ala'alatoa (c)
4. Darcy Swain
5. Cadeyrn Neville
6. Rob Valetini
7. Rory Scott
8. Pete Samu
9. Nic White
10. Noah Lolesio
11. Andy Muirhead**
12. Irae Simone
13. Len Ikitau
14. Tom Wright
15. Tom Banks

REPLACEMENTS

16. Lachlan Lonergan
17. Scott Sio
18. Tom Ross
19. Nick Frost
20. Ed Kennedy*
21. Ryan Lonergan
22. Ollie Sapsford*
23. Jesse Mogg

Gee that's strong.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
1. Tom Robertson, 2. Feleti Kaitu'u (c), 3. Santiago Medrano, 4. Fergus Lee-Warner, 5. Izack Rodda*, 6. Brynard Stander, 7. Kane Koteka, 8. Tim Anstee, 9. Ian Prior, 10. Reesjan Pasitoa*, 11. Manasa Mataele*, 12. Bayley Kuenzle*, 13. Kyle Godwin (vc), 14. Toni Pulu, 15. Jake Strachan.

RESERVES: 16. Andrew Ready, 17. Harrison Lloyd, 18. Greg Holmes, 19. Ryan McCauley, 20. Ollie Callan, 21. Issak Fines-Leleiwasa, 22. Jake McIntyre, 23. Richard Kahui.
So the brumbies recruits look like being a linchpin of their 9-10-12 axis (to me I see fines soon starting over prior). Interesting and more so curious to see how pasitoa and kuenzele go.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
It will be difficult to beat that Brumbies line up-but the up tempo game the force look like playing should make it a exciting 80 minutes

dru

Tim Horan (67)
This is probably the Aus game of the round. Brumbies list looks immense. It's a fabulous litmus test for the Force. I don't think the Force has to win to prove a point either, but that will be their intention.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
This is probably the Aus game of the round. Brumbies list looks immense. It's a fabulous litmus test for the Force. I don't think the Force has to win to prove a point either, but that will be their intention.
The only caveat is add to that Dru is that round 1 form can be a poor reflection of the actual season. Plenty of teams have looked like crocks at the start only to find their groove 3-4 games in.

I think the Force in particular can be expected to build over the season as their halves (hopefully) grow into their starting roles.

You’d assuming the Brumbies are more likely to hit the ground running with a largely settled and more experienced team - but even then a few of those guys will have joined pre-season late after Wallaby duties.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies’ backline reserves don’t look as strong without the likes of Kuenzle (really started to flourish at 12 during Super Rugby TT), Hansen or Kata…

The dip in quality there could be the Brumbies undoing this year.

Strong starting lineup from both sides otherwise.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The only caveat is add to that Dru is that round 1 form can be a poor reflection of the actual season. Plenty of teams have looked like crocks at the start only to find their groove 3-4 games in.

I think the Force in particular can be expected to build over the season as their halves (hopefully) grow into their starting roles.

You’d assuming the Brumbies are more likely to hit the ground running with a largely settled and more experienced team - but even then a few of those guys will have joined pre-season late after Wallaby duties.
Yeh force rebuilding their backline so will take time and pasitoa, fines, kuenzele still very early in their super rugby careers.

At the moment there is not a lot of what you could call top super rugby players in their backline, and reason why many at the force was for opportunity for starting roles as behind other players at their former super rugby clubs. I think the force needs a couple of these players to step up but to expect all these players to step up unrealistic so I think looking to recruit another couple of top shelf backs has to be the priority over next few years. Don’t get me wrong I like the direction the force are heading, and unrealistic to expect them to be at brumbies level over night.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So the brumbies recruits look like being a linchpin of their 9-10-12 axis (to me I see fines soon starting over prior). Interesting and more so curious to see how pasitoa and kuenzele go.
I haven't seen Fines, so don't really know him, but did think when reading Force's line up as soon as I saw his name (Priors) I see a weak link. A capable player,but in my opinion nothing more.

Fixed ot for ya Slim!

Last edited: