• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1: Waratahs v Drua

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
An excellent start to the season for the Tahs. Just what they were after. On the field at least. Defence was excellent once again. Probably the standout. Really good individual performances by Holloway and Bell with HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Gamble and Harris up there too. Donaldson a very impressive first half.

Noticeable that they were really niggly. Plenty of behind play stuff, smiles and pats on the head of the opposition after a mistake, Gordon throwing the ball away after conceding penalties. Will be interesting to see if that was just a tactic for the ill disciplined Fiji. If so we’re likely to se again next week v the Reds but not sure it will work on Brumbies or Force.

However. That Drua first half performance was one of the worst I’ve seen for many years. Terrible discipline. Horrible handling. Players just not up to the level. They were better in the 2nd half and should continue to get better through the season.

Last edited:

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think the Tahs will get a margin like that for the rest of the season, unless they're on the other end

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
An excellent start to the season for the Tahs. Just what they were after. On the field at least. Defence was excellent once again. Probably the standout. Really good individual performances by Holloway and Bell with HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Gamble and Harris up there too.

Noticeable that they were really niggly. Plenty of behind play stuff, smiles and pats on the head of the opposition after a mistake, Gordon throwing the ball away after conceding penalties. Will be interesting to see if that was just a tactic for the ill disciplined Fiji. If so we’re likely to se again next week v the Reds but not sure it will work on Brumbies or Force.

However. That Drua first half performance was one of the worst I’ve seen for many years. Terrible discipline. Horrible handling. Players just not up to the level. They were better in the 2nd half and should continue to get better through the season.
Reg clearly back with added salt. Good to see. We missed you. ;)

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
You cannot stop NSFW, you can only hope to contain them.

Fairly clear run in for their coronation now.

Both hands on the wheel, Cyclo!

wobsbandwagon_(1).jpg

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
An excellent start to the season for the Tahs. Just what they were after. On the field at least. Defence was excellent once again. Probably the standout. Really good individual performances by Holloway and Bell with HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Gamble and Harris up there too.

Pretty fair summary. Holloway has come back a better player. Doing lots of little things really well.

I'm keen to see where this is team is really at next week against the Reds.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Drua were fierce in the first 20. But couldn't maintain it, as long as you weather their big shots, you can sail through on their ill-discipline.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Pretty fair summary. Holloway has come back a better player. Doing lots of little things really well.

I'm keen to see where this is team is really at next week against the Reds.
I'm under no illusions we will be giant-killers. But that was as good outing for Comp game 1 of the season. I'd say Coleman would be pretty pleased, but not delighted. Reds and Brumbies will be tougher nuts, as will be the Force. But you gotta start somewhere.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Gordon carrying on a bit
Has a player ever thrown the ball away so often and not been penalised or spoken too?

I think NSW aggression will cost them this season, Swinton will be carded often if opponents are smart enough to niggle him.

Perese has skill but need to learn to hold the ball if there is no easy pass from a tackle, miracle balls look awesome but giving the ball to the opposition when your team is on the front foot is not.

Well done NSW, from not winning a game to being top of the table is a fair effort.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Good to get a win. Hard to gauge the result with a winless team against a debutant but happy with the result and the way we played. Felt sorry for Tauakipulu.. totally out of his depth and surprised that the Drua didn't keep packing scrums and get a yellow earlier. Is Smith available because if not we we will get exposed against other Aussie franchises. Great to see a heartfelt belting out of the team song,:)