• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1: Waratahs v Drua

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Turner should have gone to the bin, how is it if you elect to contest the ball and someone is deemed to land in a dangerous position as a result you are gone

Yet you elect to tackle someone in the air and it is just a penalty

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not sure what the best part was. Seemed pretty scrappy but still lots to like from the Tahs. If we play like this against the NZ/AUs teams, we'll be done.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Saw this on Reddit and lol’d:

How the fuck is it that every rep team for every age group for every state in Australia is full of Islanders, every Shute Shield team is full of Islanders, every other Super Rugby team in Australia is full of Islanders and YET the Waratahs look like one of those photos from the trenches in World War 2?

They look like a bucks party to Thredbo.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure what the best part was. Seemed pretty scrappy but still lots to like from the Tahs. If we play like this against the NZ/AUs teams, we'll be done.
That was my feeling too. There are elements to be optimistic about, but it's not entirely polished. That said, you can see how the Fijian's could easily be a stumbling block for some teams once they get some aspects of their game sorted. They are big, physical boys.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Looks a lot like a first up game. Pretty scrappy, Drua look like a team that have played NRC and have a fair bit to learn about super rugby. Tahs are just almost going through the motions.
It's 10.45pm here, but I'm tragic enough I will sit through second half:rolleyes:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Is there more than a couple of thousand there? Or is everyone wearing the same colour outfit as the seats?
The crowd is actually ok if look at one side where fans stacked. Probably 5-7k. Yeh rugby in NSW been in crisis with rat shit performances, poor admin / mgt and no home stadium. But can rebuild. What hole you been in Reg?

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
That was my feeling too. There are elements to be optimistic about, but it's not entirely polished. That said, you can see how the Fijian's could easily be a stumbling block for some teams once they get some aspects of their game sorted. They are big, physical boys.
And they're pretty good at taking advantage where given, there were a few spots where if the Tah's didn't hustle, they could have got through the ad line

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looks a lot like a first up game. Pretty scrappy, Drua look like a team that have played NRC and have a fair bit to learn about super rugby. Tahs are just almost going through the motions.
It's 10.45pm here, but I'm tragic enough I will sit through second half:rolleyes:
Yeh scrappy…drua showing there is some raw talent but the lack of super rugby experience showing (with only baden kerr with super rugby experience). Tahs been a little bit disappointing with lack of control with possession - particularly in the forwards. First game so can’t read too much into it but yes like to see tahs tighten up in second half.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
The crowd is actually ok if look at one side where fans stacked. Probably 5-7k. Yeh rugby in NSW been in crisis with rat shit performances, poor admin / mgt and no home stadium. But can rebuild. What hole you been in Reg?
No home stadium is a bit of a cop out

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Really disappointing crowd
I think on tv shows worse then it is. Actually not that bad as reasonable amount of fans on one side. Did anyone think tahs getting no more then 3k last season were going to suddenly get above 10k in the first game especially after the last season. You lot lost perspective/ reality.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
And they're pretty good at taking advantage where given, there were a few spots where if the Tah's didn't hustle, they could have got through the ad line
You tighten up their set piece, clean up things in the breakdown... you watch their 7's teams and its bodys and ball in motion. Magic. 15's game just has too many elements that they are not up to standard on yet... but... potential... spades.

Tah's I'm liking that they are looking like a team... they feel a little more in sync. Finished product. No... but I actually feel optimistic.