• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 6: Waratahs v Reds

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
So is the Penney the man for the job? Make all the excuses you want re lack of experience, young team etc. the fact is that the Tahs aren’t executing to the level of a professional rugby team. Learning how to tackle and organise defence isn’t a new skill set when you reach Super level, yet they can’t seem to do it. 30+ points put on them 4 times this year and lost to the Force who are shithouse.

That tells me there are far far deeper issues regarding structure and leadership.

No leadership - Penney choses Newsome as Captain
No attack - Penney keeps Whittaker as attack coach with his aimless pointless kicking and hot potato game plan
No locks - So Penney brings in Caird who can't make a NZ match, Whetton, who loves to point and not much else and Wykes enough said.
No defence
Overall lack of a game plan - Penney
Lack of heart
Lack of soul

Players look lost out there.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
So is the Penney the man for the job? Make all the excuses you want re lack of experience, young team etc. the fact is that the Tahs aren’t executing to the level of a professional rugby team. Learning how to tackle and organise defence isn’t a new skill set when you reach Super level, yet they can’t seem to do it. 30+ points put on them 4 times this year and lost to the Force who are shithouse.

That tells me there are far far deeper issues regarding structure and leadership.

The Tahs replacement front row is better than the starting front row
The Tahs second-choice centre combination is better than the first-choice pair
The Tahs best player (Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)) is on the bench
The Tahs second and back rows play like strangers meeting on a blind date
The Tahs captain is a plod who can’t hold his own position, let alone the leg of any passing opposition attacking player

Any assertions as to the coach’s culpability, are therefore, purely coincidental.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I have to say that was not great. I ended up going to bed with about 20 minutes to go as it was 11pm here, and I was struggling to stay interested. As a Reds (in super Au comp) supporter, I was caught between pleasure in the fact that Reds were winning, and feeling so bloody sorry for the young Tahs team, that to be honest look to have only 7-8 players that should even be playing at this level, let alone the 4-5 test class players you really should have in a super team to be really competitive. I didn't think the Reds even played that well. I not sure how much is coaches fault, but regardless I would think they would have to go to get a whole new feeling in team, (probably board needs a stir up too). I do think probably board has to make decisions on saving money so it leads to this kind of team, but the ongoing affect could well be less and less money anyway, as crowds and eventually sponsors may just disappear.
Ok, well that's just my thoughts from over here in Godzone, and even being a kiwi who isfirstly an AB and NZ rugby fan and a bit of a Reds supporter, I find it real worrying to see a team from Australia's biggest rugby market performing so poorly and will end up hurting rugby in Aussie if not fixed at sme stage.
And I know some of you are a lot more clever than me and may well disagree and/or have some answers.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just finished watching the replay as out last night.

That was enjoyable game despite the score as to me that was good showcase for oz rugby as Reds skills were sublime with some continual great pop passes and skills in attack...and gees finding room to fit all reds forwards in the starting pack going to be a struggle as I thought Uru was excellent as was Tupou who again was key part of an excellent front 5 and scrum dominance; and another key reason why NSW struggled.

But also enjoyable as lot to like about NSW performance despite the scoreline as centre pairing worked and not been foketi fan but best footy seen from him from a long time and value of Perese clear; while Harris I thought was very good whilst young locks of Douglas and Williams offer some promising signs for the future. I also thought Harrison showed why he is the long term 10 Tahs should persist with.

I reckon Reds would have been most sides with that performance last night.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well I have to say that was not great. I ended up going to bed with about 20 minutes to go as it was 11pm here, and I was struggling to stay interested. As a Reds (in super Au comp) supporter, I was caught between pleasure in the fact that Reds were winning, and feeling so bloody sorry for the young Tahs team, that to be honest look to have only 7-8 players that should even be playing at this level, let alone the 4-5 test class players you really should have in a super team to be really competitive. I didn't think the Reds even played that well. I not sure how much is coaches fault, but regardless I would think they would have to go to get a whole new feeling in team, (probably board needs a stir up too). I do think probably board has to make decisions on saving money so it leads to this kind of team, but the ongoing affect could well be less and less money anyway, as crowds and eventually sponsors may just disappear.
Ok, well that's just my thoughts from over here in Godzone, and even being a kiwi who isfirstly an AB and NZ rugby fan and a bit of a Reds supporter, I find it real worrying to see a team from Australia's biggest rugby market performing so poorly and will end up hurting rugby in Aussie if not fixed at sme stage.
And I know some of you are a lot more clever than me and may well disagrepe and/or have some answers.

I am just reading through others posts - given where Tahs were at I actually thought there was some promising signs there for the Tahs as Tahs had their chances for some further scores as were a threat but Reds just also were on fire. Yes tahs need to do some recruiting but there was definitely some positives to find in this performance and I think the scoreline does not always tell the full story. Unlike Brumbies and Force game where struggled to watch this was easy to watch for Reds clearly superior but equally Tahs also looking threatening with the ball in hand. Tahs defence and scrum coaches got some work to do but Reds scrum would have dominated most teams tonight as very strong.

Th0mo

Allen Oxlade (6)
The tight heads job is to split the hooker and loose head. Just because he’s very good at it doesn’t mean it’s illegal. Most of the time.

Actually it is illegal to not scrum straight, especially angling from setup. This will blow up on him in a test match or final down the track.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
And I know some of you are a lot more clever than me and may well disagree and/or have some answers.
You point out almost every week what time it is, sorry to break the bad news but 11pm on a Saturday for 90% of the population is not a shockingly late time slot. Anything between 12-6 is the graveyard time slot for tv stations hence infomercials and some networks choosing to not broadcast anything in this time slot

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Newsome is our captain. A guy who is barely club-grade. Think about that for a minute.
No wait.best not to.

Porecki is a solid player. But why is it the case that two Sydney boys i.e. BPA and Fainga'a, are starters for their state and WB contenders - and yet we’ve got to 2 solid club players, one of whom can’t make 100 kgs.

Welcome to the NSW talent management system.

I am not in the habit of defending the Tahs, but at the time that BPA and Fainga'a were around, the Tahs had a full roster of contracted hookers.

Newsome is bog standard, for sure. But then so are most of the team.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
For 60mins that was strangely NSW best performance for the season. Perese was decent infact the centre partnership was the best they have had all season. Maddocks continues to play well in a well beaten team and Harrison was solid with a well beaten pack in front of him. Forwards are a massive issue, Tizzano plays his heart out although I’d like to see him carry more but the rest are poo. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is a shadow of what he was 2 seasons ago, Porecki is strangely talked about as a wallaby bolter but is outplayed currently but Kaitu’u, Mafi, Hanson and Fainga’a. Sinclair is not Super Rugby quality, and the rest are toilers at best. Caird has had a few up and down games but by in large is missing more games than not so far. Surely they have someone better than Faulkner for TH, actually the propping stocks are strange with Faulkner, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and Bell all been preferred LH than TH yet two of them play TH regularly.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You point out almost every week what time it is, sorry to break the bad news but 11pm on a Saturday for 90% of the population is not a shockingly late time slot. Anything between 12-6 is the graveyard time slot for tv stations hence infomercials and some networks choosing to not broadcast anything in this time slot

I wasn't complaining about time in any way, just saying why I heading off. FFS I was talking about game and just kind of saying maybe it wasn't game's fault , and maybe mine. I trying not to be one who says this is shit I am off, which is not what I saying. If you took that what I trying to say my thoughts on game well f*** me, time to be vetry careful I don't upset your preciousness I guess!

just out of interest after 10pm is not great for majority of popualtion watching sport, one of reasons NRL used for pulling Perth Reds.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I am just reading through others posts - given where Tahs were at I actually thought there was some promising signs there for the Tahs as Tahs had their chances for some further scores as were a threat but Reds just also were on fire. Yes tahs need to do some recruiting but there was definitely some positives to find in this performance and I think the scoreline does not always tell the full story. Unlike Brumbies and Force game where struggled to watch this was easy to watch for Reds clearly superior but equally Tahs also looking threatening with the ball in hand. Tahs defence and scrum coaches got some work to do but Reds scrum would have dominated most teams tonight as very strong.

I think I was amazed at their inability to set up any seemingly defensive screen, that try that McDermont scored was something that happens to often with Tahs, they seem to have no desire at times to defend around fringes of breakdown.
Meant to ask for opinions, is it my imagination or is Petaia jsu not seeming to be making good decisions in attack etc, perhaps he better on wing? he certainly hasn't come on as I thought he would.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think I was amazed at their inability to set up any seemingly defensive screen, that try that McDermont scored was something that happens to often with Tahs, they seem to have no desire at times to defend around fringes of breakdown.
Meant to ask for opinions, is it my imagination or is Petaia jsu not seeming to be making good decisions in attack etc, perhaps he better on wing? he certainly hasn't come on as I thought he would.

He looked better on the wing to me, I wonder if a swap with Vunivalu playing 13 would work and Petaia on the wing would work?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Given how well Ikitau is playing, Petaia is under quite a bit of pressure. At his best he is sublime, but at his worst he wouldn't look out of place in the Force backline. You can't be that mercurial at test level. I'm not sure shifting him to the wing will help- I think it's a maturity thing. Just needs time and expectation.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Actually it is illegal to not scrum straight, especially angling from setup. This will blow up on him in a test match or final down the track.

yep - you have to scrum straight. I don't believe there is anything in the laws about having to scrum straight forward though (towards the try line). That's why the laws state you only re-set a scrum that's gone 90 degrees, rather than it being a penalty (because it isn't against the laws).,

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Splitting the hooker and LHP doesn’t mean your angling in, as a THP the two shoulders you’re engaging against are the LHP and hooker. Shearing the LHP off the scrum actually has more to do with head position and dropping the shoulder to dislodge the LHP.

Where people get confused, and officials struggle to officiate is that the LHP shearing off or losing his bind with the hooker now means the THP is only pushing against the hooker. Naturally he will angle in, but the penalty offence Is actually the LHP losing his bind. There’s a domino effect occurring here.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Obviously pleased but we were so loose it is very hard to judge where we are.

We continue to show little glimpses of great football we cannot string a whole game together yet.

Continually pushing the passing is getting a little stale, whenever we held onto the pill, waiting for opportunity we scored.

Highlight for the me the awesome driving maul with the backs getting the hands dirty. Sublime. Oh and Tupou's goose step!

Hard to feel for NSW after the schlackings we've been on the end of but I can certainly sympathise. I've been there. They will be a good side in a year or two just need a few more cattle.

McReight, McDermott, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) all great. Suli is clueless in D and why the hell didn't he pin the ears back in the corner? Big Dell incarnate. Jordie is mixes the rough with the smooth. Needs to get some sense.

Harrison, Harris and the centres I thought showed moments of class. When they click they can actually play some football but the defence was atrocious. Some of the pigs are just not up to it.