• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 6: Waratahs v Reds

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Just on Suli not pinning his ears back when he was going for that try, that’s when he did his hammy. That’s why it looked like he just stopped running when he went to step back inside.

Torn or just a pull? he's gone if he tore it.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Got to give a bit of a plug for Harrison last night. I think he gets better every week and he's a tough little bugger. He's got a good running game, kicks very well, both during play and off the tee, and is constantly looking to put players away. His decision making, while still with some distance to go, is improving. Considering he's behind a pack that's being dominated, and doesn't have any dynamic runners outside him to put into spaces, he's really having a go.
Last night the Tahs got a penalty advantage for a late tackle, and about 45 seconds later got the penalty due to a high tackle. The late hit and the high one were both on Harrison, but he just jumps up and gets back into it.
Before all the usual suspects jump down my throat, yes I know he sits behind JOC (James O'Connor), To'omua and Lolesio in the no 10 pecking order, but I'm happy to have him at 10 for the Tahs.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Just a quick one on the Reds centres, for mine Paisami is the best 12 in Aus at the moment, and by quite a bit, a real class act. Petaia, on the other hand, while clearly a remarkable athlete, I wouldn't want near a test side until he learns to respect posession.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think I was amazed at their inability to set up any seemingly defensive screen, that try that McDermont scored was something that happens to often with Tahs, they seem to have no desire at times to defend around fringes of breakdown.
Meant to ask for opinions, is it my imagination or is Petaia jsu not seeming to be making good decisions in attack etc, perhaps he better on wing? he certainly hasn't come on as I thought he would.
I really like petatia as player still to me most likely to spark something in attack but sure still not finished product but I think to me more proving real deal at 13 but maybe closer analysis suggests I might be wrong as it might well be the good things he does blinds me to things not so good.

Defence for tahs a worry but equally not making excuse but at times reds passing and offloads in tackles and on the run was absolutely sublime. But yeh Gilmore as tahs defence coach got some work to do for sure.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tahs had the right attitude - physicality was good, at least. Lineout was top notch and hence Porecki's selection in the training squad is the result of his accuracy and work rate at set piece.

Reds have a lot of firepower - Paisami was in rude form and Perese is just a shadow by comparison.

That Tahs try was a thing of beauty tho: a drop off pass in midfield to stick the defence, then Foketi exploited the wide channel it created half a step ahead of JOC (James O'Connor). Inside ball to Harris, following up the tramlines like a good back rower.

The Blues used that play a lot to make ground against the Crusaders.

Again, we saw some very poor refereeing at scrum time, where the Reds were given a handy from the ref despite not moving forward before the wheel. The spidercam angle showed this beautifully at one point because it was right in front of the Reds' posts, and therefore on the 5m line: Tupou not able to budge his side, and the Reds LHP walking around.

Penalty Reds. o_O

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That Tahs try was a thing of beauty tho: a drop off pass in midfield to stick the defence, then Foketi exploited the wide channel it created half a step ahead of JOC (James O'Connor). Inside ball to Harris, following up the tramlines like a good back rower.

Awesome try.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Again, we saw some very poor refereeing at scrum time, where the Reds were given a handy from the ref despite not moving forward before the wheel. The spidercam angle showed this beautifully at one point because it was right in front of the Reds' posts, and therefore on the 5m line: Tupou not able to budge his side, and the Reds LHP walking around.

Penalty Reds. o_O
You say these words as if anyone knows what they mean.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Despite the scoreline I thought the Tahs weren't as bad as some people are saying. Perese was good and really stood up to Paisami in defense, probably more than any other oz centre, and he was their toughest ball runner as well. I think as he gets comfortable again in rugby he will be great. Probably the best game I have seen Foketi play. Maddocks had some very nice touches but still not quite where he should be, Harrison was pretty good as well.

I thought Harris played well and think they should persist with him so he can get comfortable at that level. He looks to be a real physical specimen, a couple of great runs and some solid defense. The 2 guys who came on at lock, Williams and Douglas, should be starting the rest of the year. Even though they are very green they looked much better than the other journeymen who have been starting. I was quite impressed with them. Look like solid lumps of lads too. Tizzano again was very good, a couple of great turnovers. Shame about the whole Penny debacle now, I could see some great attacking play/structure at yikes with that team. They just seem to lack some experience and confidence to keep it up.

I wont say much about the Reds however I will say that it wasn't a very impressive performance. Rocks and diamonds type team they are. A lot of very poor mistakes with brilliance scattered in there. Although they are top of the ladder I think the Brumbies are probably the best team at the moment.

One player I will point out is Scott-Young. He really is an unsung hero. The amount of work he gets through is quite amazing, he just never stops. Bounces back to his feet straight away and he is a very strong defender. If he could add a stronger ball carrying ability and good post contact meters to his game I think he would be a great test player. He is a very good leader as well, marshals the boys well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The saddest part is that I thought the Tahs probably played their best game of the year.

Will Harris had easily his best Super Rugby game at number 8.

Jack Maddocks finally showed some decent form.

The young locks, Williams and Douglas looked good. Certainly better than Caird and Whetton have previously. I'm not sure Wykes is any better now days than either of them as well.

The centres were pretty good although Perese's ball security is a little questionable. He gave them some go forward though.

Tizzano was again excellent.

Given all that, the Tahs got flogged which shows how far off the pace they are.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The 2 guys who came on at lock, Williams and Douglas, should be starting the rest of the year. Even though they are very green they looked much better than the other journeymen who have been starting. I was quite impressed with them. Look like solid lumps of lads too.
Fully agree. Lots of potential there.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pulled the same move on the Force. Very disappointing that refs don't see it. Also disappointing that teams actively contribute to scrum shenanigans. Endless resets ruin the game as a spectacle. It's short term gain for long term pain.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Given all that, the Tahs got flogged which shows how far off the pace they are.

A couple of bursts from the Reds and a couple of bits of good teamwork.

More experience, more cohesion, more time in pro rugby.

Easy to forget the Reds were also in a hole a few short years back.