• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 7: Rebels v Reds

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Agree. Also the Rebels. I don’t think the should be disregarded after one poor showing. Remember the Reds got pumped by the Tahs last year.
No I don't remember any such event ever happening my friend. I think the Rebels are a very good shout also knocking over a team or two.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
If I was picking a Wallaby team to play an important test match do or die, Valentini is going to a better chance at making my bench than ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

BUT

If I'm contracting a pool of players who I'm trying to combine to get the best overall output over a Super Rugby season? ASY (Angus Scott-Young) hands down. Good solid player, rarely has a poor game (ignoring last night), smart, sensible, loyal, rarely injured. The type who can occupy a middle to upper middle tier contract in your salary cap for many years, and may be a chance of a few Test caps after a particularly good season or if there are several injuries. One of the cornerstones of good squad management is identifying 3-5 guys like ASY (Angus Scott-Young) to build your team around.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
If I was picking a Wallaby team to play an important test match do or die, Valentini is going to a better chance at making my bench than ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

BUT

If I'm contracting a pool of players who I'm trying to combine to get the best overall output over a Super Rugby season? ASY (Angus Scott-Young) hands down. Good solid player, rarely has a poor game (ignoring last night), smart, sensible, loyal, rarely injured. The type who can occupy a middle to upper middle tier contract in your salary cap for many years, and may be a chance of a few Test caps after a particularly good season or if there are several injuries. One of the cornerstones of good squad management is identifying 3-5 guys like ASY (Angus Scott-Young) to build your team around.
Well said, that's what I was trying to say without the words to articulate it.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Look, I think ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is a fine player and seems to be a good guy but if it came down to a direct choice I'd choose Valentini every time. The going missing thing is a myth as far as I'm concerned. Valentini has out attacked and out defended every six in Australia this year and probably last as well.

https://www.rugbypass.com/players/angus-scott-young/

https://www.rugbypass.com/players/rob-valetini/

https://www.rugbypass.com/players/lachlan-swinton/

Run meters is the key in that, RV tackle completion rate also impressive. I'd love to see a post contact meters and reload time stats measured as I think RV would be miles ahead in post contact and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) miles ahead on reload times but without those stats it's just speculation and could be perception only.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Run meters is the key in that, RV tackle completion rate also impressive. I'd love to see a post contact meters and reload time stats measured as I think RV would be miles ahead in post contact and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) miles ahead on reload times but without those stats it's just speculation and could be perception only.

Post contact metres might be easy to add but reload would be a nightmare for the guy doing it.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

BUT

Hamish Stewart fits the second category for me as well.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I totally understand not noticing RV going missing... That's kinda the point, you don't notice him. But I'll move on. Regarding the Rebs they're a good team yes, but I think clearly a cut below the Brumbies/Reds. I think most have them somewhere with the 'earth bound Kiwi teams' like the Blues & Highlanders.

I think it'd be Brumbs/Crusaders/Reds tier 1, tier 2 Rebs/Blues/Highlanders and Force/Chiefs/Hurricanes/Waratahs tier 3.
The Force are probably a bit of a wild card they could shock people and knock off a team well above them, and then next week lose to a team well below them.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s great. But I’d much rather TT goes ahead so we can see the rankings based on actual results.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I totally understand not noticing RV going missing. That's kinda the point, you don't notice him. But I'll move on. Regarding the Rebs they're a good team yes, but I think clearly a cut below the Brumbies/Reds. I think most have them somewhere with the 'earth bound Kiwi teams' like the Blues & Highlanders.

I think it'd be Brumbs/Crusaders/Reds tier 1, tier 2 Rebs/Blues/Highlanders and Force/Chiefs/Hurricanes/Waratahs tier 3.
The Force are probably a bit of a wild card they could shock people and knock off a team well above them, and then next week lose to a team well below them.
Aha I think you’ll be in for a rude shock come TT. If the Reds and Brumbies can win 3/5 each I’ll take that as successful. If the Rebels, Force or Tahs can win two games I’ll be frankly surprised.

Reactions: dru

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think Stewart has flagged some of his team mates this year, he's an excellent player, but probably has a bit of Godwin/Lance about him. I do think he'd be one of those guys who are decent at Super Rugby, but somehow exceptional at test Rugby. He was unlucky to not get a wallaby spot last year. But I think he'll probably spend a bit of time at flyhalf next year, if he can put it together at flyhalf that'll be a game changer for him. Because as a flyhalf he goes from good defender to world XV all defensive team, his kicking game is already top shelf, and he's normally very composed and makes good decisions. If he's an out and out flyhalf he's in the mix for a Wallabies spot. But it's looking more and more challenging, I suspect he's reached his potential, but he's one of those players you can never really count out.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

BUT

Nonsense. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) will be benched the second Wright is back. You dont build a team around him.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Nah, Reds took the Crusaders the full 80 before COVID, and the Crusades only just excaped with the win at home. And that was the Reds basically two years ago. This Reds team now looks a very very different team. Brumbies notched good wins in NZ before COVID too. Not saying they'll win SRTT but they should be on par with the Crusades and in the mix for a SRTT win.

Obviously we've really got nothing much to compare to on terms of recent form, but I think most would agree the Reds that showed up against the Rebs will trouble anyone. Similarly the Brumbies always trouble everyone.

The if Waratahs win a game all year I'll be socked. The Rebs will probably be like 6th, but they'll compete against the top teams, & should beat the bad teams but it's totally something they'd do to lose to a shit team. Force and Waratahs who knows, maybe they'll be not awful, maybe they'll be last...

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
As said previously Lomani is now a winger (just like Fines at the brumbies) & has been all season. Wessels obviously thinks him on a wing is a better option than a bloke who has played half an nrl season in 3 years & a bloke who has never played Super Rugby before.
Key word here is versatility. He can cover the wing or 9.