• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 7: Rebels v Reds

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Well done to the Rebels crowd, I don't know if STAN tweaked the sound but this is the first time I have thought a crowd actually got involved, we could actually hear booing.

It was a shame about the crap music blaring in stoppages, it must have been horrendous at the game.

I thought the same, actually looked like a great crowd and sounded it too.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think the main problem with ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is he seems to do a lot of not much.... sort of Ned Hanigan-lite, but at least Ned was a pretty good Super Rugby player.

Interesting, i look at the stats and in the past 2 weeks:

Rob Valetini
15 carries for 18m
12 tackles
1 lineout wins

Scott-Young
15 carries 27 m
15 tackles
3 lineout wins

I dont disagree that ASY (Angus Scott-Young) ceiling is probably as a good super rugby player, but just want to to highlight the comparative stats of a player yourself and others froth on as a wallaby, despite doing a lot of not much..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cool, but those stats don’t reflect how physically ineffective ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is in almost every aspect of play.............

There’s no comparison between the two.

Like I said, a whole lot of not very much.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Valetini has a much higher ceiling than ASY (Angus Scott-Young). He’s a legit test candidate and has put in some impressive performances this year. But I’d have ASY (Angus Scott-Young) at the Reds over him because you know what your getting. I dispute Slim’s statement that he is ineffective and put that down to just parochial bias which is fair enough. The thing with Valetini is the the is so up and down. Not just game to game but within a game too. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) a no-nonsense grinder and that’s what the Reds want at 6 and that’s what they are getting.

In saying that , Wright takes his spot immediately once fit.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Valentini looks to make more effectual involvements but those stats don't support that when you look at carry meters for example. What ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has in spades over almost every 6 in the comp atm is workrate which is exactly what the Reds needed this year someone to hold together the forward defence and cleanout to allow clean ball for next phase. Tonight he had a bit of a shocker to be honest but he has been great for the Reds this year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Cool, but those stats don’t reflect how physically ineffective ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is in almost every aspect of play.....

There’s no comparison between the two.

Like I said, a whole lot of not very much.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) ranks 5th for tackles won in Super Rugby AU.. can’t be that ineffective eh

Meters carried per run are absolutely a reflection of physicality for forwards playing tight, if Valetini was as consistently physical as you say he would be making much more in post contact meters, in the last two games Valetini is barely averaging 1 run per meter. Is that even crossing the gain line?

If ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is a whole lot of not very much, it amazes me you rate Valetini so highly.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The Powell omission from the Wallabies PONI squad is perplexing to me. As evidenced by his performance tonight where he was very varied and clever in attack and safe as houses in defence to the point where he absolutely nailed LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

Powell is easily good enough to be wearing Gold. His problem is that he is all the same well beaten by White and shaded by both Tate and Gordon.

If I was a Rebel fan I wouldn't swap him for anyone, but he has a tough pathway to GOLD.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Respect to the Rebels - super team playing great rugby. But wow, Reds.

Some of the positional changes seemed odd before kick-off but the coaching team is shown to know their stuff once again. Against the fears, Campbell was utterly comfortable on the wing, including Digby-esque on the tight side. Petaia still needs to improve but provided the kicking game he needs in the back three.

Stewart solid, not mind-blowing, on return. That's OK, let him gain some game fitness. Paisami showing comfort in the centres, anywhere in the centres.

I was initially concerned with Flook, the footage doesn't show the reason why but a try by Rebels came from Flook's wide wing with Hegarty last defender and Rebel numbers with no Winger to be seen. Don't know the reason. He perked up though. Let's give him more time.

Tight five rotation - absolutely maintaining the strength.

There is a lot to like in the Reds.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Powell is easily good enough to be wearing Gold. His problem is that he is all the same well beaten by White and shaded by both Tate and Gordon.

If I was a Rebel fan I wouldn't swap him for anyone, but he has a tough pathway to GOLD.

There’s just a lot to like about halfback depth in Australia currently, it’s a good sign that a quality one might miss out

Reactions: dru

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Respect to the Rebels - super team playing great rugby. But wow, Reds.

Some of the positional changes seemed odd before kick-off but the coaching team shown to know their stuff once again.

There is a lot to like in the Reds.

Thorn is teaching his squad to expect the unexpected. Nobody has a "lock" on any position. That is a wonderful situation to be in, because injuries will happen unfortunately.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) ranks 5th for tackles won in Super Rugby AU.. can’t be that ineffective eh

Meters carried per run are absolutely a reflection of physicality for forwards playing tight, if Valetini was as consistently physical as you say he would be making much more in post contact meters, in the last two games Valetini is barely averaging 1 run per meter. Is that even crossing the gain line?

If ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is a whole lot of not very much, it amazes me you rate Valetini so highly.

The NFL has a yards after contact stat which would be a more effective way to calculate physicality.

If you happen to be passed the ball from a drop out and run it back 20 metres before being tackled, your stats for the match will look great.

I would take ASY (Angus Scott-Young) because of his consistency, you can build a team around him as you know what you will get.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Yes, it amazes me that using two games as your data pool, which includes the one we all universally agreed he wasn’t particularly good in, reflects so poorly.........

But as the Stan commentary displayed, Valetini makes a lot of post contact metres.......... go figure?

And no one is disputing that ASY (Angus Scott-Young) would have completed a lot of tackles as he does a lot of work......... as I said - Ned Hanigan-lite.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
This is Brumby Runner level posting Slim. Valid criticism of Valetini in the other thread and you’re going to the counter punch, getting a bit nasty calling ASY (Angus Scott-Young) Hanigan-lite. I don’t think it’s unreasonable people wanting more from Valetini. As many have said, he has such a high ceiling, definitely much more so than ASY (Angus Scott-Young). We just want to see it fulfilled more consistently because he could, and should, be a dynamo for the Wallabies at 6.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
drew, I largely agree but I think you’ll find that DC brought up ASY (Angus Scott-Young), I agreed.......... and Adam couldn’t resist mentioning his favorite obsession.............

It was all fairly predictable.

Anyways, I’ve made my contribution and glad to move on...........

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
drew, I largely agree but I think you’ll find that DC brought up ASY (Angus Scott-Young), I agreed.... and Adam couldn’t resist mentioning his favorite obsession.....

It was all fairly predictable.

Anyways, I’ve made my contribution and glad to move on.....
Wow - I don’t know whether your just a master at this or just completely lack self awareness.

In either case, well played.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
drew, I largely agree but I think you’ll find that DC brought up ASY (Angus Scott-Young), I agreed.... and Adam couldn’t resist mentioning his favorite obsession....

Valetini isn’t my obsession, Wallabies are..
I just like to seem the same standard applied when assessing players of their worth, especially if they’re going to pull on a gold jersey.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Amy Perrett has made it as a Super ref.
She attracted non-discriminatory booing.

I thought she did pretty well given the speed of the game, she communicated really well with the players, I could hear her constantly talking to individuals warning them when they were close to committing an infringement, one or two calls could have gone the other way, but that’s refereeing. also having a female referee is also a positive role model

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
I thought she did pretty well given the speed of the game, she communicated really well with the players, I could hear her constantly talking to individuals warning them when they were close to committing an infringement, one or two calls could have gone the other way, but that’s refereeing. also having a female referee is also a positive role model

The rucks were a mess but they were a mess all game so she atleast consistant with them.