• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 4, 2018 - Jaguares vs Waratahs @ Buenos Aires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tahs finish their tour in Argentina with kick off at 8:40am Sunday morning Sydney time.

I'd expect Vui to come back into the side for Tawake and potentially a debut for Lachie Swinton.

It would be good to see Newsome start for Kellaway and Taqele have a crack off the bench.

Tolu Latu could potentially come into the 16 jersey to help sure up the scrum.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting to see how the Tahs scrum goes against Mario's boys.

At least Tom R. has a high opinion of the bloke and it's worked well for him.

Tahshave too much firepower out wide.

Tahs by 30 +

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
This game could almost decide where the Waratahs will finish this season. They won't be a top team based on their performances so far; I think they'll end up mid-table but this game could be a slippery-slide towards the bottom. The Jaguares are a better team than their performances to date, they just need to tighten up on their discipline. They are at home for this game and are likely to come out firing because they are already on the skids and will want to reverse that.

The Waratahs have this game and then a game against the Rebels before their first bye. Given the accumulated travel I don't expect a win next week, the Rebels are starting to build some momentum. So a loss this week as well will have them on 6/7 points by the time the comp is one third over, not a winning proposition. Ergo, its a must-win game.

There are three Keys to a Waratah victory:
  1. The scrum must improve. Now that's a statement of the bleeding obvious if ever there was one, but the question on everyone's lips is "how can it, given the apparent talent available?" Gibson's stubborn streak means his best tight head is at home honing his fitness and why Latu is on the outer is anyone's guess. What is left is two serviceable loose heads, two props just out of the U-20's and a Fijian prop who did not cover himself in glory last week; and of course a back five who don't appear to have a lot of push. This could get very ugly, very quickly.
  2. I lost count last week of how many times the Waratahs were on the front foot and making good ground only for someone to stuff it up with a bad pass, dropped ball or loss of the ball in contact. It reminded me of last year so much I thought I had dropped into a time loop a la Groundhog Day. That has to improve.
  3. They need Kurtley Beale on the pitch. With him, Foley looks like a matchwinner; without him, pretty ordinary. Kurtley is the spark that makes things happen.
My tipping proves I am no expert and I have literally no idea how this game is likely to pan out. So, with that in mind I will be watching a couple of players to see how they go. Holloway was brilliant week 2, anonymous week 3. Which Holloway will turn up for round 4? Hanigan has impressed so far (scrum aside), will his new found power game continue? Foketi looks the real deal so far, will he continue his great progress? Will Newsome and Naiyaravoro get a chance to make a contribution? Surely Kellaway has played himself out of the 23.

The life of a Waratah tragic can sure be hard sometimes.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Interesting to see how the Tahs scrum goes against Mario's boys.

At least Tom R. has a high opinion of the bloke and it's worked well for him.

Tahshave too much firepower out wide.

Tahs by 30 +

Still smoking the shard i see. No way Tahs win by 30.

Tahs have an opportunity to get a rare win on the road here, given the Jaguares form. That being said, they beat us at home last year and we haven't improved that much. It'll be very tight, with Jaguares dominating the scrums (obviously) and the general forward play.

I sure wish Kepu flew over and Beale wasn't (potentially) injured. Sure hope Foley hits some form too. He had a shocker last week (goalkicking aside).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This game is likely to be 45-42 by the end and I don't know who will be the winner

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Jaguares opened at $2.50 which at home is a bit over the top in my view.

I thought it was too good to pass up and threw a bit of money at it. Not enough to ensure that I'll be a happy man if I lose the bet. Happier than if I win it, that's for sure.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Still smoking the shard i see. No way Tahs win by 30.

Tahs have an opportunity to get a rare win on the road here, given the Jaguares form. That being said, they beat us at home last year and we haven't improved that much. It'll be very tight, with Jaguares dominating the scrums (obviously) and the general forward play.

I sure wish Kepu flew over and Beale wasn't (potentially) injured. Sure hope Foley hits some form too. He had a shocker last week (goalkicking aside).
My mail is that Kepu has a calf injury and they didn't want to risk him missing the game v Rebels. I haven't heard about KB (Kurtley Beale) injury, hope he's fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
My mail is that Kepu has a calf injury and they didn't want to risk him missing the game v Rebels. I haven't heard about KB (Kurtley Beale) injury, hope he's fit

Finally the Tahs have fessed up to the SMH that Kepu is injured. What possible advantage do they think they got by hiding the truth?

Now they've got that out there could they also let us know if Beale is playing or not?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Finally the Tahs have fessed up to the SMH that Kepu is injured. What possible advantage do they think they got by hiding the truth?

Now they've got that out there could they also let us know if Beale is playing or not?
I have pointed out a couple of times that I thought Kepu was injured and mentioned that I heard it in an interview before the tour. They probably don't know if Beal is fit yet

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
While I would prefer to know who is injured, there is no right to know and there are enough journos about to ask questions

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So if Jake Gordon fails the concussion RTP protocol, the non-contracted Nick Duffy will start at halfback and Will Miller will be the reserve halfback.

That's pretty worrying! Hopefully Nick Phipps is available for the Rebels game.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
If that were to happen BH, then the scales are probably tilted in the Jaguares favour. Tomas will set the field alight.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The Jaguares and the Argentinan national side seem to have struggled to score tries of late so if we make sure we don’t give away costly turnovers or easy penalties in our own half then I can’t seem them creating a lot from structured play. That said in recent years the Tahs have often had 10 times the attacking power of their opposition but still let them into the game with cheap points. I reckon we’ll either run right over the top of them and win in a blow out or lose it in a close battle.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So if Jake Gordon fails the concussion RTP protocol, the non-contracted Nick Duffy will start at halfback and Will Miller will be the reserve halfback.

That's pretty worrying! Hopefully Nick Phipps is available for the Rebels game.

I must have missed a whole page in the forum somewhere. So, Jake Gordon went off with concussion? What happened to Mitch Short? And who is Nick Duffy?

Only positive in that is that Will Miller will see some game time!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I must have missed a whole page in the forum somewhere. So, Jake Gordon went off with concussion? What happened to Mitch Short? And who is Nick Duffy?

Only positive in that is that Will Miller will see some game time!

Yes, the reason Short came on when he did was because Gordon had a head knock.

Apparently Short suffered a season ending knee injury late in the game. I certainly didn't notice during the game.

Nick Duffy is the Norths halfback. He played some NRC for the Rays I believe.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes, the reason Short came on when he did was because Gordon had a head knock.

Apparently Short suffered a season ending knee injury late in the game. I certainly didn't notice during the game.

Nick Duffy is the Norths halfback. He played some NRC for the Rays I believe.

Is that a debut try and season ending injury in the space of bout 15 minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.