• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round One: Reds vs Waratahs. Suncorp Feb 24

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'm watching the replay. It's the worst attedance at Suncorp I can remember for a Reds vs Tahs game. Hopefully there must be 7k spectators

1000229413.jpg

1000229414.jpg

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm watching the replay. It's the worst attedance at Suncorp I can remember for a Reds vs Tahs game. Hopefully there must be 7k spectators

View attachment 18287
View attachment 18288

that’s a case of super rugby crowds around this country in general. Also doesn’t help when it rains

look at the brumbies. They are our most successful team and they get sweet FA to games.

the crowd formula is the winning formula. I think the reds willl get a bump in upcoming fixtures

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Some encouraging signs from the Tahs, considering their injury list. Need a new halves combination, though. I have been an Edmed fan, but he and Gordon have to go. They are slow, and predictable.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
If the Tahs expect to win anything this year they are going to need the football. Losing their own lineout, woeful passes, good passes dropped cold, soft penalties, penalty kicks not going out, everytime you do that you gift the other side the football. Plenty of other things to work on, but ball retention, particularly when in an attacking position, has to be near the top.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Some encouraging signs from the Tahs, considering their injury list. Need a new halves combination, though. I have been an Edmed fan, but he and Gordon have to go. They are slow, and predictable.
Gordon sooo slow. A couple of times ref had called use it and he still waited another 15-20 seconds for a useless predictable box kick. Surprised ref didn't penalise him for not using it

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Edmed’s kicking alone is a reason to go, his kicks for touch and general in play were terrible for a Super Rugby 5/8. On a penalty they would give it to Edmed and he barely make 20m

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
If the Tahs expect to win anything this year they are going to need the football. Losing their own lineout, woeful passes, good passes dropped cold, soft penalties, penalty kicks not going out, everytime you do that you gift the other side the football. Plenty of other things to work on, but ball retention, particularly when in an attacking position, has to be near the top.
That’s my thinking too. They can’t build pressure if they’re constantly making these simple errors.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The yellow card might’ve been harsh but it was correct. Jorgenson makes contact with Petaia’s left arm before he touched the ball and prevents him wrapping properly.

I am surprised Paisami’s hit on Perese prior to the Pietsch try didn’t get more attention. Looked head on head to me (and given Perese stayed off for HIA seems pretty clear it was). Probably a red card.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Edmed’s kicking alone is a reason to go, his kicks for touch and general in play were terrible for a Super Rugby 5/8. On a penalty they would give it to Edmed and he barely make 20m
It’s a team of majority journeymen types.

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Mahe, Gordon, Edmed, Walton, Sinclair, Holloway, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner).

Some have had some good seasons but overall not elite talents.

Tahs are a likely to get the spoon. Probably be 0-5 to start the year. Then we’ll shove kids into a busted side.

Looks like business as usual this season from the game standard. Brumbies will finish top Aus side, maybe make the 2nd week of finals. Reds to finish 6-7th and lose first week.

Reactions: Ras

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought this and the Chiefs Crusaders game were the best ones. I was expecting the Tashs to get a towelling but they stood up well. Agree with the lack of ball retention but some of the guys seem to struggle in watching the ball.
I was surprised to hear in the commentary that Coleman only has a few weeks to prove himself if not he's gone! If this is true who the hell could do a better job, they have tried nearly every coach in Christendom...

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
It’s a team of majority journeymen types.

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Mahe, Gordon, Edmed, Walton, Sinclair, Holloway, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner).

Some have had some good seasons but overall not elite talents.

Tahs are a likely to get the spoon. Probably be 0-5 to start the year. Then we’ll shove kids into a busted side.

Looks like business as usual this season from the game standard. Brumbies will finish top Aus side, maybe make the 2nd week of finals. Reds to finish 6-7th and lose first week.
I disagree with you Ghost, think they will go OK this season. Having watched one of the pre-season games I thought it was going to be another poor year but this game changed my mind. Some of the linking was excellent and the major problem is a lack of cohesion and poor discipline.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I disagree with you Ghost, think they will go OK this season. Having watched one of the pre-season games I thought it was going to be another poor year but this game changed my mind. Some of the linking was excellent and the major problem is a lack of cohesion and poor discipline.
I just don’t see it. 3 tries and one from and intercept, one bounce back to Pietsch.

Got a lame 9 and a meh 10 even though I do feel for a 10 outside Gordon.

I would like to see them make a call around the coach. Don’t know what the team may have heard we haven’t but it doesn’t help anyone to hear noise saying he has 4 weeks to show it. It’s pro sport and the 1%ers add up and cost you games.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s round one. Way too early to be deciding spots on the table yet. But the Tahs do have a tough couple of weeks ahead.presumably that means an easier run home, but they’ll need to try and get a win or two over that period.

From a Reds perspective it’s only 1 game but some key building blocks seem to be coming together. Scrum was solid, lineout very good. Lynagh’s kicking game is very good and the backrow continues to hum along. Paisami & Flook are forming a sound combo. I thought Vunivalu still seems a bit hit and miss and Petaia did a bit at fullback too but did some really good things. I haven’t looked at any stats but I thought our breakdown work in attack was still too loose at times. If we can sharpen that up than most of the foundations are covered and everything else can come on top of that.

There will be harder days ahead no doubt, but a first up win against NSW scoring 6 tries - I’ll take that as a start to the season any year.