• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round One: Reds vs Waratahs. Suncorp Feb 24

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’m not saying it was an incorrect call. By the letter of the law it was right. The ref should have just awarded a penalty and not even involved the TMO. It was not deserved of neither a penalty try or a yellow card, let alone both. And sully re the third try it came backwards out of Jorgensen’s hands, it doesn’t matter that it landed in front of the mark he passed it from.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
It's what I see from TV. It's the same stand for all the matches playing there (NRL/A-League). Beside that it's not a good promotion for the game, people go to the restaurant that is full, not the one that is empty
Hale Street is made up mostly of Suncorp Members tickets that's why it's so empty. 60-70% of the seats you see on the broadcast cost several grand to purchase and if you're only getting half a dozen or so games, no-one buys stadium membership just to go to the Reds.

The broadcast side was packed.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Tom Lynagh ‘tip on’ that was called forward was the right call but 50/50.

Very similar in the 6N Ireland v Wales game with the same call by the TMO. No try in the 60th minute if you want to see it.

Good to see consistency.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Really enjoyable game to watch considering the weather and first round.

Well done to the Reds on getting Les Kiss. Just what the Reds needed to take the next step forward. They looked calmer and with more of a plan than under Thorn.

Good news for the comp and for Aus rugby.

Tahs problems look similar to last season in that their bench forward play is a big drop off. Hopefully they can slowly transition to Bowen or at least set up the transition for next year as Edmed is nothing special in my opinion.

Conversely Lynagh looks ready to establish himself as the bona fide Reds 10.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m not saying it was an incorrect call. By the letter of the law it was right. The ref should have just awarded a penalty and not even involved the TMO. It was not deserved of neither a penalty try or a yellow card, let alone both. And sully re the third try it came backwards out of Jorgensen’s hands, it doesn’t matter that it landed in front of the mark he passed it from.
The ref wasn’t in position to call. That’s when using the video ref is the right thing to do. In any case - if he’d called it at the time it would’ve still been a penalty try and yellow card. The TMO just made sure he got it right. They aren’t perfect, but both officials did exactly the right thing.

And if you are not saying it is incorrect, why call it dodgy. If Jorgenson tackled him early - which he did - the ONLY outcome could be a penalty try and, therefore, a yellow card. It’s not the TMO’s fault Jorgenson got caught in a tough situation and got it wrong. That was thanks to the Reds pressure and they earned the reward. Any other decision would have been a travesty under the current rules.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I am fully aware of the rule book and its implications. The ref could literally have said ‘it was 50/50 as to whether that tackle was legal or not, but it certainly doesn’t deserve a higher sanction than a penalty so that’s what I’ll do. Penalty red.’ He has the power to do that.

By the way, dodgy = 50/50. I, along with many others, just wish the ref would use their discretion more rather than ‘going upstairs’ at every opportunity and let the players play rugby.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I am fully aware of the rule book and its implications. The ref could literally have said ‘it was 50/50 as to whether that tackle was legal or not, but it certainly doesn’t deserve a higher sanction than a penalty so that’s what I’ll do. Penalty red.’ He has the power to do that.
No - he doesn’t

Reactions: Ras

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It doesn’t work like that. There is a clear framework with regards to penality tries and yellow cards. He has no discretion over the frame work.

You may be thinking of the high/dangerous tackle framework where they can consider mitigating factors in the decision. That doesn’t apply here.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It doesn’t work like that. There is a clear framework with regards to penality tries and yellow cards. He has no discretion over the frame work.

You may be thinking of the high/dangerous tackle framework where they can consider mitigating factors in the decision. That doesn’t apply here.
Only if he refers it. It wasn’t deserved of referral, he could have just made a call and no one would have blinked twice. Anyway, it is what it is, all I’m saying is less TMO involvement leads to a better game to watch, use the TMO only for high level infringements.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Ok, that was an enjoyable game, even if my team didn't win. Well done Reds.

The game went in the direction I suspected, with the Tah's much like the Rebels bringing the attitude but not having the finishing. They have a few areas they really need to be working on, such as their maul defence and whilst I thought their defensive structure was much better, they dont appear to be able to sustain the rush with too many offsides.

As for some of the controversies;
- I thought the Tah try was fine as it was back out of the hands (I think so people need to really clue up on this area, not the first or last time we'll see similar.
- I thought the Jorgensen/Petaia try was a 50/50. Even in slow motion it looked like it was simultaneous to me and probably didn't deserve a try/sanction, but I can see the benefit being given to the attacking player/team. Though Jordy did knocked one on earlier so I'm not even sure it's probable he scores there :p
- Scrums were interesting. I'm not sure he (Doleman) got them all right. The one at around 68-9mins with the Tah's in the A-zone I'm pretty sure the Reds LHP was well and truly boring in. The scrum moves sideways more than forward. I'm really not sure how he gave that one to the Reds. Be interested what others think, but I think the Reds got away with one there.

Overall I was happy to see some improvement and heart from the Tahs. I'm still not convinced that the attack is where it should be for a squad that has had a reasonable amount of cohesion now. All the injuries obviously haven't helped and as others mentioned the depth really isn't there. I thought for the short notice he likely got Walton stood up in this game for the Tahs. Though he wasn't always on song I also didn't mind Vailanu and his little rush, low chop role he seemed to have in defence.

Lots of work ons for both teams, but the Reds a lot further along.

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Im just going to leave it alone now but what im actually saying is involving the TMO unnecessarily is bad for the game. If hypothetically the ref just gave Qld a penalty and they went to the break with another 3 points would you be on here wingeing that it should have been a penalty try and a yellow card for that?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Im just going to leave it alone now but what im actually saying is involving the TMO unnecessarily is bad for the game. If hypothetically the ref just gave Qld a penalty and they went to the break with another 3 points would you be on here wingeing that it should have been a penalty try and a yellow card for that?
Haha - well you have me ina corner now.

I’m going to say that I would’ve have thought they got it wrong because if it was a penalty then it had to be a penalty try and a card.

BUT I’m also going to claim with a straight face that I wouldn’t have complained about it on here and I would’ve accepted the refs call. And, probably luckily for me, you can’t prove otherwise :)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Adam I’m not being a sore loser, it’s about over officiating. I get what the rules say. I’m fine with the result, qld were the better team. Qld is my second team, rightfully the origin of the other roughly 50% of our national team.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Adam I’m not being a sore loser, it’s about over officiating. I get what the rules say. I’m fine with the result, qld were the better team. Qld is my second team, rightfully the origin of the other roughly 50% of our national team.
There’s a time at a place where officials judgement should be debated or argued, I think making derogatory comments about officials and calling them dodgy on call which was correct, as defined by the rulebook and guidelines is misdirected anger though.

Rules, systems & guidelines absolutely can be improved, the officials shouldn’t be the ones blamed for working in line with them.

Reactions: Ras