• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round One: Reds vs Waratahs. Suncorp Feb 24

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yes I was angry about it because the punishment didn’t fit the crime, that doesn’t make it misdirected. Calling a person dodgy is derogatory, with respect to a decision it just means it was 50/50. The TMO did what he/she had to based on their determination, it was the determination that was dodgy, it could have gone either way.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
. Calling a person dodgy is derogatory,.
Yeah, agreed

. The TMO did what he/she had to based on their determination, it was the determination that was dodgy, it could have gone either way.
Lol nah man, by the rule book it couldn’t have gone either way. Jorgensen touched him before he had the ball, by the rules it was 100% correct decision.

If you’re arguing the punishment for touching him before he received the ball was excessive then absolutely I agree, but that’s a different discussion and is about WR (World Rugby) and the rules, not officials doing their job.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Just finished my rewatch after having been there, a few more thoughts:

For the Reds:
- I thought Hodgman did some really good solid work around the ground, particularly on the carry, he's a real bonus for us this year.
- Paisami just looks so bloody ready for it this year, it's great to see.
- The McReight, Wilson, McDermott link just keeps getting better. It's great having Wright back out there too, I think he really frees up the others to play their natural game.
- Both 10s were great, Lynagh's kicking and control wins out for me. That said, I do think we might see them swap the start occasionally so McLaughlin-Phillips can take advantage of fresher runners and Lynagh can close things out with his control.
- Was more visible in the stadium but it was good to see the bodies in motion and second line with Tate often dropping in as a the playmaker for it. It wasn't as consistent as it needs to be but it's clearly something they're building.
- Maul was an absolute weapon, it looks well formed but the tahs defence was also poor, so we'll have to wait and see how strong it is.
- We switched off a bit too often, particularly after we built a lead in the second half. 1st round and the conditions probably played a role, but we can't afford that against the top teams.
- Mixed game from Petaia - dangerous with ball in hand, but isolated too often. Caught out in defence at fullback but kicked brilliantly, particularly the return with interest on the fly around 62 minutes. Needs to be out there but I still think wing is the spot for him with Campbell at fullback.
- Loved all the shots of Les Kiss in the booth, seemed really energized and it's hard not to like him. That said it's probably easy to show well when your team opens the season with that performance. The way Tate talked about him in the post match suggests the players have really bought in and embraced him too.

For the tahs:
- As previously mentioned the kicking was horrible, but the one exception to that was Walton - he kicked well with low stabs through to take advantage of the wet, skidding turf, similar to what the Reds were doing. He was looking a million times better at centre than fullback.
- Holloway was an absolute pest in the way you want from a lock, really found the balance well. Unfortunately the lineout and maul defence was poor, which he bears some responsibility for.
- Very mixed game from Nawaqanitawase - a good intercept for a try and turnover on the line, but his other flashy moments were followed by bad errors - A classy kick dummy into a shanked kick to give the Reds good field position and an athletic bat back to keep a 50/22 in field only to leave Jorgensen swamped in goal for a 5m scrum. It was shades of his play a few years ago, exciting but frustratingly incomplete.
- I thought Pietsch was very solid, but really needs to improve his finishing/decision making near the line. Seems ridiculous to say for a guy with a brace to his name, but he very nearly botched the 2nd throwing a pass that should never been thrown and getting a lucky rebound.
- Really going to need guys like Gleeson to stand up if the tahs are to lift this season. The carries just didn't have the penetration or venom of the Reds last night and they tended to run straight into the teeth of the defence and get stopped in their tracks.
- There were sparks there for the tahs, particularity when Wilson came on and lifted the pace. If Gordon can't find his form decisions might need to be made sooner rather than later.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah, agreed

Lol nah man, by the rule book it couldn’t have either way. Jorgensen touched him before he had the book, by the rules it was 100% correct decision.

If you’re arguing the punishment for touching him before he received the ball was excessive then absolutely I agree, but that’s a different discussion and is about WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) and the rules, not officials doing their job.
This is essentially what I’ve been raging about. If it makes you feel better just sub in 50/50 wherever you see me say dodgy.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I am intrigued with all the talk of refereeing decisions - am I the only one who thinks we dodged a bullet with Paisami’s head clash with Perese. I thought it was relatively clear, and most likely a red, but I haven’t seen anyone else mention it. Everyone else thought it was okay, I assume?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm interested in comments on PC's question earlier, which was 'Gamble v McReight'
Who was the better player on the night?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I am intrigued with all the talk of refereeing decisions - am I the only one who thinks we dodged a bullet with Paisami’s head clash with Perese. I thought it was relatively clear, and most likely a red, but I haven’t seen anyone else mention it. Everyone else thought it was okay, I assume?
I don't think there's any issue there. I didn't notice it at the ground so made a point to pay attention when watching the replay. The angle's could be clearer, but to me it was reasonably clear on the slow motion replay that Perese's head snaps forward first and then back - the "whiplash effect" indicating that there wasn't initial head on head contact, much the same as Koroibete on Jelonch a few years ago which was overturned at the judiciary. Maybe other angles would tell a different story but there's no issue from what I've seen.

I do think Paisami will need to be careful with his height going forward though.

Reactions: TSR

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Re Gamble v McReight, I think McReight wins that contest due to a very strong second half. Having said that, I thought they were both pretty good, Gamble was certainly one of the Tahs better forwards

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Personally I didn't think Jorgensen's or Lynagh's went forward, but I see from here which was which clearly is based on which team you support!

Red Twist

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am fully aware of the rule book and its implications. The ref could literally have said ‘it was 50/50 as to whether that tackle was legal or not, but it certainly doesn’t deserve a higher sanction than a penalty so that’s what I’ll do. Penalty red.’ He has the power to do that.

By the way, dodgy = 50/50. I, along with many others, just wish the ref would use their discretion more rather than ‘going upstairs’ at every opportunity and let the players play rugby.
Ah, so you'd like to implement a different set of laws for the Waratahs. Gotcha.

Reactions: Ras

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from last night

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
- As previously mentioned the kicking was horrible, but the one exception to that was Walton - he kicked well with low stabs through to take advantage of the wet, skidding turf, similar to what the Reds were doing. He was looking a million times better at centre than fullback.
I would love to see a Matt Burke law just for the Tahs.
If you cannot catch your own box kick, no box kicking for you!