• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby T-T R4 Brumbies vs Hurricanes

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Ardie didn’t think that was a knock on?? Fuck me sideways, take it on the chin buddy, even Ben Skeen would have called that one.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Canes looked clueless against a proper defense. Reverted to SRAotearoa form when confronted with their first decent Aussie side of the season.

Bumbreeze not too flash though. Boring as shit really. White econovan rugby.

LOL@SuperHero Jordie. Rafts of missed tackles, speculative chip kicks gifting away possession, just biffing him teammates in the wood chipper time and time again. Then at the death he gets a chance to actually be the SuperHero..... and promptly fucks that up too.

THEN HE FUCKS IT UP AGAIN.

GOODBYE TO THE FINAL, SUPERSTAR.

leo-cheers.jpg

Reactions: mst

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Glad to get the win. Brumbies were the better team for most of the game but mistakes and some perplexing decisions made it closer than it should have been. The line out also suffered with Swain failing his hia and we ended up with a very short pack apart from Frost.

Barrett missing those kicks was only justice for the crowd braving the cold to support the team. It was good to finally have our first home game in TT.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Mhmm that feels good. Brumbies looked great, where the flip has that been all year?

Frost looks to be delivering on his promise from a couple years ago, which makes sense young lad needs to grow into is body.

White was a sneaky bastard, he’s got them smarts.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, happy they won....

The Brumbies missing so many experienced players looked like they were going to give it away.

Tom Cusack's ability to give away dumb penalties this year is impressive.....

But Valetini muscling up to Ardie Savea made me very, very happy.

I liked kuezenel tonight as well - he will be good pick up for force and looks much better player at 12 for me. Valetini got wallaby spot all sown up on that performance but also thought frost was immense. And to Tom Banks I apologise to have struggled to rate you as he has been playing good footy this year. And Stowers (one force let get away) was immense as was ikatau (other then his dumb moment to dive over try line unmarked then run it around to place next to goal posts).

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Alright former Canterbury rugby union football representative, Jordie Barrett. Be like that. Suddenly forget how to kick when the Evil Empire's final hopes are on the line. Fine. Whatever. I guess the Blues will just have to do it themselves and beat these Cantabistani bastards up in Auckland, then.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tom Banks in the post match interview “defence won us the game tonight”. Hmmm wonder if when we will hear this come from a tahs player post match

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I liked kuezenel tonight as well - he will be good pick up for force and looks much better player at 12 for me. Valetini got wallaby spot all sown up on that performance but also thought frost was immense. And to Tom Banks I apologise to have struggled to rate you as he has been playing good footy this year. And Stowers (one force let get away) was immense as was ikatau (other then his dumb moment to dive over try line unmarked then run it around to place next to goal posts).

I never really rated Kuenzle, but when he came on against the Chiefs he was really strong and direct......... I think 12 is going to be his position going forward.

Frost is definitely a future Wallaby - hopefully he can maintain his strong ball carrying as he matures.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Man I want to hate the Brumbies but they seem like such a good club who support each other on and off the field, pricks.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Jeez, never thought a win over a Kiwi team could leave me feeling so frustrated! I feel the Brumbies had them on the ropes for most of that match and should have won quite comfortably. I've rarely seen the Canes backline shut down so effectively.

Instead after Ikitau choosing a swan dive for the highlight reel over actually getting a kickable conversion, and countless missed opportunities, we're relying on a borderline knock on call and Jordie Barrett missing two very kickable penalties in the last 4 minutes. Not something I ever want to be relying on happening again.

Still, a win's a win. Well done Brumbies. It's been a pretty depressing SRTT but I'm glad we're playing Kiwi teams again, we've got some pretty bad habits entrenched the last couple of years and this seems to be the best way to get out of them.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That last penalty highlights a real annoyance I have with the current tranche of referees and which I posted on another thread only a couple of days ago.

Harry Lloyd definitely did not support his own weight and it was an infringement sealing off the ball, but the same thing happened on numerous occasions throughout the match without being penalised. Come the last few minutes and the ref's call has a direct impact on the outcome of the game. Only JB's failure to convert saved the game for the Brumbies.

If something is an infringement, then referee the bloody thing right throughout a game you muppets. Do not leave it to a critical moment where it happens to look a lot like bias/favouritism coming into play.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I understand your point BR and largely agree.

At the same time I am prepared to play devils advocate. There are several issues with the ref pulling up every technical break down penalty -
- players do modify their behaviour, but modern coaching is all about exploiting or bending the rules. So when we solve one problem we’d almost certainly create another
- generally speaking fans blame the refs, not the players, for high penalty counts. People turn off and complain that the game is too stop start. You’d think that if refs had a crack down then teams would adapt and the flow of the game would return in a short while. But that doesn’t ever seem to be the way it happens. So, based on that, I’d suggest fans actually don’t want every penalty called. Normally only the one’s committed against our team.

So I am prepared the accept some leniency at times. The question is in the balance between consistency and letting the game flow. In that respect I think it’s like driving without your seat belt or speeding. You aren’t going to get caught every time, but when you do there is no use complaining that someone else was speeding too and there are some times/places - ie school zones - that you should realise are higher risk.

Harry Lloyd should have been aware that refs always police sealing off more closely at the end of the game when a team is trying to close a game out. He was significantly more likely to be called for it then compared to at pretty much any other time in the game. He should have also been aware that they were well within Barrett’s kicking range and that a penalty was enough to lose the game. And, knowing these things, he needed to not give the ref the opportunity to penalise him.

Morgan Turinui made the comment in the first half that the Brumbies gave away a penalty when it was a good time to give away a penalty. That is game management and all teams do it. But Harry’s at the end was poor decision making on his part and he should beware of the risk.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
That last penalty highlights a real annoyance I have with the current tranche of referees and which I posted on another thread only a couple of days ago.

Harry Lloyd definitely did not support his own weight and it was an infringement sealing off the ball, but the same thing happened on numerous occasions throughout the match without being penalised. Come the last few minutes and the ref's call has a direct impact on the outcome of the game. Only JB's failure to convert saved the game for the Brumbies.

If something is an infringement, then referee the bloody thing right throughout a game you muppets. Do not leave it to a critical moment where it happens to look a lot like bias/favouritism coming into play.

i think it has been a refereeing directive for quite some years. As soon as a team tries run down the clock, they have to do it perfectly, as even the smallest infringement will pinged.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
i think it has been a refereeing directive for quite some years. As soon as a team tries run down the clock, they have to do it perfectly, as even the smallest infringement will pinged.

I can understand and even agree with the logic behind it. The game should be played for 80+ minutes, and cynically trying to run down the last few minutes is a semi-penalisable offence, ie. the slightest indiscretion will be penalised.