• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby-TT: Rd 1 Western Force v Chiefs, May 15th, Perth

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
FORCE READY FOR CHIEFS' CHALLENGE
May 10, 2021
The Western Force is preparing to play their inaugural Super Rugby Trans-Tasman fixture when they take on the Chiefs this Saturday night at HBF Park.
The season opener is set to be a big occasion, as it’s the first time the Force has taken on a New Zealand side in a Super Rugby clash since 2017.
Read more......

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think that the Force have exactly the style that Kiwi teams will find difficult. Not to say that they will win against the Chiefs, just that the Chiefs probably will need to adjust to cope.

I'll be watching this one for sure.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Looking forward to this.
Currently 75% capacity allowed due to COVID.
Hoping for a further announcement and we could have a full house

Hopefully Kearney back although the suspension of Kuridrani and Pulu will hurt

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Mitchell Brown (ankle sprain) & Naitoa Ah Kuoi (general wear & tear) are both injured & won't travel to Perth so Tribe gunna be very light in the locking dep't.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...risis-for-transtasman-opener-v-force-in-perth

I guessing young Josh Lord will get a start and Finau cover the bench? I like the look of Lord even if just turned 20, (and he a Naki boy;)). I agree this is going to be tough, week after final, decent haul to Perth, but most importantly Force are a team that's going well and as dru pointed out have the kind of game that will suit against Chiefs etc.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Force prepare for battle with the Chiefs
May 11, 2021
The Western Force has ramped up preparations for Saturday night’s Super Rugby Trans-Tasman season opener against the Chiefs at HBF Park.
Having been a part of the Chiefs 2012 Super Rugby title-winning side, Force outside back Richard Kahui can’t wait to line up against his former side.
Read more.....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think that the Force have exactly the style that Kiwi teams will find difficult. Not to say that they will win against the Chiefs, just that the Chiefs probably will need to adjust to cope.

I'll be watching this one for sure.
Advantage for me was with super rugby au I could manage 2 games over the weekend - now back to having to watch 5 games...

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Similar but for me it means I'll be watching less Hospital Cup.

I must admit dru, another advantage of being home in NZ, last few years when watching Hospital cup or whatever, there often wasn't time for a quick beer after to have a chat about game, which is one of my real joys in going to rugby. Now I back to watching club game , having a beer with opposition supporters having a chat, then still wandering off home to have tea, and sit down to enjoy the tv rugby. Makes it worth having to stay up for midnight games from Perth.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
DMac at 10, a reasonable team I thought considering who is out.
Chiefs: Chase Tiatia, Shaun Stevenson, Anton Lienert-Brown, Alex Nankivell, Jonah Lowe, Damian McKenzie, Brad Weber (c), Luke Jacobson, Lachlan Boshier, Pita Gus Sowakula, Tupou Vaa’i, Josh Lord, Angus Ta’avao, Nathan Harris, Aidan Ross. Reserves: Samisoni Taukei’aho, Ollie Norris, Joe Apikotoa, Zane Kapeli, Liam Messam, Xavier Roe, Bryn Gatland, Bailyn Sullivan.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
That's a rather strong looking Chiefs team - thought (and somewhat hoped) they might rest a few players given the travel schedule. Will be very interesting to see how the Force measure up...

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
FB_IMG_1620890702999.jpg

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
We'll miss Sita's presence.
All I can say is that Jake McIntyre must have been training the house down to warrant breaking the Cubelli/Miotti halves combination which has been working so well.
Hope Ollie Callan can get some good game time to show us more of what he can offer at this level.
GO YOU FORCE!!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Similar but for me it means I'll be watching less Hospital Cup.
Well I use to watch minimal shute shield but watched more during the week(now got loads of content on demand) as let’s face it who would not want to watch rugby 7 days a week (us rusted on at least understands this ). Plus wife and daughter out mid week for her hockey so get the main big tv to watch rugby on for otherwise non rugby family (luckily lots of mates who are). But yeh may be getting to taped super rugby games mid week and less shute shield.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Think the Force might be stronger in the tight 5 and that combined with the travel factor might see them home.

A few over this side of ditch giving them a shot too BR, Chiefs are another team that have played a final last week and along with travel, and probably more importantly the Force have the spoiling tearing into thing type game that a few kiwi teams may find a little hard to deal with.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Force have the advantage that we only have a couple of players in contention for Wallabies selection so there's no need to rest players. Hopefully the boys come out all guns blazing and put in a big performance. Shame we are missing Timani and TK but everyone needs to step up for the TT competition.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Far out. Vaa'i is casually throwing these great long passes like he's Sotutu. Really hope he gets a good extended run in the All Blacks this year.