• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super W 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Super W draw has been released:

2023 Buildcorp Super W Draw

Round 1:

NSW Waratahs vs Western Force, Friday 24 March, 5:05pm, Allianz Stadium, Sydney

Fijiana Drua vs ACT Brumbies Saturday 25 March, 1:35pm, Prince Charles Park, Nadi

Melbourne Rebels vs QLD Reds, Saturday 25 March, 5:05pm, AAMI Park, Melbourne

Round 2:

QLD Reds vs Western Force, Friday 31 March, 4:05pm, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

Fijiana Drua vs Melbourne Rebels, Saturday 1 April, 1:05pm, HFC Bank Stadium, Suva

ACT Brumbies vs NSW Waratahs, Saturday 1 April, 5:05pm, GIO Stadium, Canberra

Round 3:

QLD Reds vs ACT Brumbies, Friday 7 April, 5:05pm, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

NSW Waratahs vs Fijiana Drua, Saturday 8 April, 3:05pm, Concord Oval, Sydney

Melbourne Rebels vs Western Force, Saturday 8 April, 5:05pm, AAMI Park, Melbourne

Round 4:

ACT Brumbies vs Melbourne Rebels, Friday 14 April, 5:05pm, GIO Stadium, Canberra

NSW Waratahs vs QLD Reds, Saturday 15 April, 5:05pm, TBC, TBC

Western Force vs Fijiana Drua, Sunday 16 April, 1:05pm, McGillivray Oval, Perth

Round 5:

Melbourne Rebels vs NSW Waratahs, Friday 21 April, 5:05pm, AAMI Park, Melbourne

Western Force vs ACT Brumbies, Saturday 22 April, 3:05pm, HCF Park, Perth

QLD Reds vs Fijiana Drua, Sunday 23 April, 1:05pm, Sci-Fleet Stadium, Brisbane

Semi-Finals

First vs Fourth, Sunday 30 April, 1:05pm, Concord Oval, Sydney

Second vs Third, Sunday 30 April, 3:05pm, Concord Oval, Sydney

Final

Winner SF1 vs Winner SF2, Sunday 6 May, Venue TBC

Probably the best possible draw for the Reds, get to build into the season, basically moving from the bottom of the table to the top (rebels and force flipped at the start). Still will be a big ask to get over either the tahs or drua, but with a top 4 finals series they will get a couple of bites at the cherry.

Waradog

Stan Wickham (3)
No one seems to be doing a Team of the Week for the Super W so I thought I would use my Easter break time wisely and watch a lot of rugby. Watched the games this weekend and then went back and watched Round 1 and 2 games. Every game watched in full and then the Mini as well so hopefully I haven't missed too much.

Have also allocated 3-2-1 points and Player-of-the-Week (POTW) and will add a summary of my thoughts on the round.

Very subjective but hopefully I have held my bias in check:

Round 1
1. Natsuki Kashiwagi (Force)
2. Bitila Tawake (Drua) - 1 point
3. Laiema Bosenavulaagi (Rebels) - came off the bench early in Jersey 18
4. Deni Ross (Reds) - 3 Points and Player-of-the-Week (POTW)
5. Rosie Ebbage (Tahs)
6. Katie Barnes (Force)
7. Shannon Parry (Reds)
8. Grace Kemp (Brumbies)
9. Jasmin Huriwai (Brumbies) - 2 points
10. Ella Ryan (Tahs)
11. Adita Miliana (Drua)
12. Cecilia Smith (Reds)
13. Georgina Friedrichs (Tahs)
14. Laisani Moceisawana (Drua)
15. Lavenia Tinai (Drua)

Summary:
* Lots more international players, mainly Kiwis straight out of Super Rugby Aupiki, so the skill level was up on the start of last year
* The Drua made the most of their homeground advantage and if able to play the game at their speed are try-scoring machines
* Loved the 2nd rowers. Not sure how many of them are Wallaroos' qualified but enough that there should be real competition for Test matches later this year with Deni Ross showing an athleticism and stamina that will challenge defences at any level
* Australian sides notably rusty and individual performances got their sides the win
* Unlucky to miss out - Ashley Marsters (Brumbies - no.6) a yellow card made her ineligible for me but packing down at Blindside Flanker instead of at Hooker she just got more damaging. Heaps of bustle and will not give up but on occasions I think she just needs to slow down and play a more team-based role

Round 2
1. Bree-Anna Cheatham (Reds)
2. Ashley Marsters (Rebels)
3. Lila Hifo (Brumbies)
4. Deni Ross (Reds) - 2 points
5. Rosie Ebbage (Tahs)
6. Tabua Tuinakauvadra (Brumbies)
7. Fi Jones (Tahs) - 1 point
8. Piper Duck (Tahs)
9. Jay Huriwai (Brumbies)
10. Ella Ryan (Tahs)
11. Vitalina Niakore (Drua) - 3 points POTW
12. Trilleen Pomare (Force)
13. Vani Arei (Drua)
14. Maya Stewart (Tahs)
15. Caitlyn Halse (Tahs)

Summary:
* Aussie sides starting to gel with team play controlling the tempo of games and more phase play
* Fiji not very well represented but more a team of players than individual players. Heat and humidity put them at another level with multiple passes in each phase so their win was almost a gimme
* Couldn't miss Vitalina Niakore (Drua) though with her try scoring almost a perfect copy of last year's final so POTW for her
* Wow are the 13's and wingers impressing. Round 1 the 12's carried a lot more but with more rugby under their belt backlines spread the ball earlier and more often and we saw steps, swerves, and pace and some great tries
* Unlucky to miss out - Georgina Friedrichs (Tahs) and Brianna Dascombe (Reds) with both 13's showing great vision, decision making, and power in both attack and defence

Round 3
1. Emily Robinson (Tahs)
2. Ashley Marsters (Brumbies)
3. Amy Rule (Brumbies)
4. Michaela Leonard (Force)
5. Annabelle Codey (Reds)
6. Laiema Bosenavulagi (Rebels) - 1 point
7. Leah Miles (Force) - No. 20 off the bench
8. Piper Duck (Tahs) - 3 points and POTW
9. Layne Morgan (Tahs)
10. Ella Ryan (Tahs)
11. Martha Mataele (Force) - 2 points
12. Sarah Riordan (Brumbies)
13. Briana Dascombe (Reds)
14. Alana Elisaia (Reds)
15. Caitlyn Halse (Tahs)

Summary:
* Reds vs Brumbies was a bit of a struggle to watch with wet weather and an extended stoppage due to lightning meaning neither side got into any rhythm so hard ball runners dominated the game
* First win in 5 years for the Force and a great game to watch. Get on the Force train as your 2nd team because they put it all on the line every game
* At the other end of the scale the Tahs got some revenge for their 2022 Grand Final loss with a comprehensive win over the Drua. Keeping the Drua to 1 try takes a team effort in defence and then in attack the Tahs scored tries in tight and out wide
* Keeping Grace Hamilton out of her preferred no.8 takes a lot but Piper Duck has shown all of that and more. Plays the 79th minute the same as the 1st and easily took out POTW
* Back to individuals shining but as integral parts of their team. Great set-play allowing athleticism and power from players who seem to be smiling every time they get involved
* Unlucky to missout - Kendra Fell (Force no.9) showed that experience counts. Not the fastest to the breakdown but her passing is almost flawless and her ball runners and flyhalf are getting a great platform to work from. Desiree Miller (Tahs no.11) shows no fear in contact and wants every chance she can get to run with that ball and you can see how hungry she is score

Hope I can start more people talking about Super W and if you have suggestions/alternatives put them out there!

Last edited:

Ged

Allen Oxlade (6)
Super W is awesome!
Few alternatives:
Ivania Wong would be first winger picked every week.
Dascombe could unseat Friedrichs for the Wallaroos #13 (if Sharni doesn't play 15s this year G Fred could move to #12)

Waradog

Stan Wickham (3)
Super W is awesome!
Few alternatives:
Ivania Wong would be first winger picked every week.
Dascombe could unseat Friedrichs for the Wallaroos #13 (if Sharni doesn't play 15s this year G Fred could move to #12)
* Ivania has been good but I don't think she is getting the ball often enough, or with the opportunity, to show her speed and step
* Brianna Dascombe has been a revelation at 13 for the Reds. I don't now her playing history but she has all the skills. I don't think she is dethroning G-Fred yet but I would like to see her in the Wallaroos setup at least

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
* Ivania has been good but I don't think she is getting the ball often enough, or with the opportunity, to show her speed and step
* Brianna Dascombe has been a revelation at 13 for the Reds. I don't now her playing history but she has all the skills. I don't think she is dethroning G-Fred yet but I would like to see her in the Wallaroos setup at least

BD is a country gal from the Darling Downs who have produced some exceptional talent, (men's and women's) of late. I think she came through the QLD Country team and got called in to the QLD team via that? Since she has begun playing for Wests, and just moved to 13 this year.

G Fred is the standard though. She has been exceptional.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I went to the Tahs vs Drua game on Saturday afternoon with my daughter.

Excellent afternoon at Concord Oval watching a fantastic performance by the Tahs. Solid crowd and a really nice atmosphere.

Waradog

Stan Wickham (3)
Round 4 Team of the Week
1. Natsuki Kashiwagi (Force)
2. Tania Naden (Brumbies)
3. Penina Tuilaepa (Force)
4. Michaela Leonard (Force)
5. Annabelle Codey (Reds)
6. Loretta Mailangi (Tahs)
7. Leah Miles (Force) - 3 points and POTW
8. Haidee Head (Reds)
9. Kendra Fell I(Force)
10. Nicole Ledington (Force) - 1 point
11. Desiree Miller (Tahs)
12. Katrina Barker (Tahs)
13. Georgine Friedrichs (Tahs)
14. Mia-Rae Clifford (Rebels) - 2 points
15. Lavenia Tinai (Drua)

Summary:
* Brumbies vs Rebels went right down to the wire and though they struggled to put phases together they were more than willing. Tania Naden (No.2) for the Brumbies and Mia-Rae Clifford for the Rebels stood out
* Tahs and Reds game riddled with errors. Commentators kept on saying how dry conditions were so do we blame the wind and the western sun @ Concorde or were both sides just nervous with Top of the Ladder at stake? Annabelle Codey (no.5)had a huge game for the Reds, and like Round 1 when the going got tough the Tahs Katrina Barker (No.12) kept a clean slate and showed her defensive and link-play capabilities
* The Force vs Drua game was definitely the Game of the Round and the Force faithful have good reason to celebrate. The Force tried to control the set-piece and except for some wayward lineout throws they did a good job against a Drua side that can punish you quickly. Defensively the Force kept backing up and making the big tackles and their openside flanker Leah Miles put in the performance of the Round - great pilfers and her post-contact stats must look outrageous!
* Unlucky to miss out - Brianna Dascombe (Reds no.13) was good but when G-Fred has multiple turnovers, including the one to seal the win for the Tahs, a try, plus a try assist you cannot leave her out. Sulita Waisega (Drua no.7) made a couple of decisive runs in tight with great lines and bustle. Renae Nona (Reds no.15) enjoyed the extra time and space at fullback and chimed in well.