• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SuperRugby Waratahs V Crusaders, Rd 10 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
McCabe was the target of the Irish tactic of holding the man up at tackle to form a maul, and Plan B should have been implemented where McCabe should have either passed or put his head down and bum up and drive to allow more time for the forwards to come to him in support...but there was never a Plan B that day...

saderista

Bob McCowan (2)
I was at the game so I didn't hear what Kaplan said, but he had a long word with Read after that penalty was given.

The Tahs had made a break, were five metres out and going forward and Read gave away a really cynical penalty. Kaplan had a long word with him and it certainly warranted a warning.

It was the kind of play where you could have given a yellow card straight away without any need for a prior warning. It was a professional foul to stop the Tahs from scoring.

So, I was right.:)

Anyway, I enjoyed the game, hope you had a good day out Braveheart.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McCabe was the target of the Irish tactic of holding the man up at tackle to form a maul, and Plan B should have been implemented where McCabe should have either passed or put his head down and bum up and drive to allow more time for the forwards to come to him in support...but there was never a Plan B that day...

Even worse is anyone who knew anything about the Irish play could see the choke tactic coming.. and it can be easily exploited.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
The Crusaders deserved the win. The Tahs looked great in patches but the Crusaders looked damn good the entire match.

I thought the Crusaders were at about 80-85% yesterday. Any better and the Tahs wouldn't have got that bonus point.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The box kick is only utilized when McCabe is the only back ready to receive the ball. The reason being that it is better to lose possession 20 meters down the field than a few meters behind the game line when McCabe gets gang tackled and turned over due to his poor body height.
I think it is actually referred to as the gain line, as in gaining ground from the previous breakdown.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

There's never even a Plan A with Dingo, let alone changing and adapting in less than 6 months :(

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think this has been a problem with the Wallabies for a long, long time.

I can't remember seeing a Wallaby team change their game plan on the fly when plan A wasn't working.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I think this has been a problem with the Wallabies for a long, long time.

I can't remember seeing a Wallaby team change their game plan on the fly when plan A wasn't working.

Show me a team that can, and I'll show you a captain that is a future coach.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Show me a team that can, and I'll show you a captain that is a future coach.

I think the ABs always do it well.

I think the Wallabies lack the ability to change a game plan in even obvious situations such as it suddenly pouring with rain and they still try and play the expansive game that they had planned and keep dropping the ball rather than kicking for territory and playing a tight game.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
There's never even a Plan A with Dingo, let alone changing and adapting in less than 6 months :(
That's not right, of course there is a plan A, but it appears that this crop of Wobs don't have the composure to even follow the most basic of plans.
Last year against the AB's they could not even pick and go as they had trained for a week.When the most basic of your patterns is not implemented how the fuck could you have a plan B?

saderista

Bob McCowan (2)

Changing game plans was never a problem when he was coaching the Saders. I wonder why he can't do it now with the Wallabies, unless of course it is actually the players that can't and not Deans, but that can't be right surely!

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I thought the Crusaders were at about 80-85% yesterday. Any better and the Tahs wouldn't have got that bonus point.

That's why I said damn good instead of great. The Crusaders were at about 80-85% (except Freun who was operating at about 120%) and the Waratahs wobbled between 55% and 85%. That doesn't win you matches against the Crusaders.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's why I said damn good instead of great. The Crusaders were at about 80-85% (except Freun who was operating at about 120%) and the Waratahs wobbled between 55% and 85%. That doesn't win you matches against the Crusaders.

The Tahs plan this week should be to give Tom Carter a mohawk.

Reactions: mjw

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So, I was right.:)

Anyway, I enjoyed the game, hope you had a good day out Braveheart.
Yep, he was incorrect. Kaplan warned Read personally after that penalty when the Tahs kicked the goal to go 10-7 up. That was his second offence, in Kaplan's own words, and he hinted at further sanction if it happened again. Hinted. Made a vague suggestion of something that may happen, but probably wouldn't. Well, very unlikely to happen. Well, let's face it, it was never going to happen, and the reset button would be flicked at oranges.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Yep, he was incorrect. Kaplan warned Read personally after that penalty when the Tahs kicked the goal to go 10-7 up. That was his second offence, in Kaplan's own words, and he hinted at further sanction if it happened again. Hinted. Made a vague suggestion of something that may happen, but probably wouldn't. Well, very unlikely to happen. Well, let's face it, it was never going to happen, and the reset button would be flicked at oranges.

To be honest, the repeated cynical penalties inside the 10m were what really drove me nuts on Sunday. That was just shit reffing and I'd say that no matter who was doing the infringing. The Saders are smart though -- they pushed it and pushed and knew right when to stop (i.e. the infringement straight after half-time, which IIRC was again for joining from the side.).

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Carter was injured and playing on the wing a lot against the Rebels. He probably shouldn't have played, but who would you replace him with. Would have been a crap backline without him.

If Tom Kingston can't defend at 13 they should have brought in Bennetts or Hodge rather than Betham.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Changing game plans was never a problem when he was coaching the Saders. I wonder why he can't do it now with the Wallabies, unless of course it is actually the players that can't and not Deans, but that can't be right surely!

That's pretty much been my view.

On the Tahs game I thought the Tahs played well but didn't adapt to the Saders. Not just TC.

W

Waylon

Carter was absolute rubbish yesterday. His poor defence cost the tahs the match. He had no impact in attack

Status
Not open for further replies.