• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SuperRugby Waratahs V Crusaders, Rd 10 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
If anyone thinks that we don't have the players to change gameplans, they're barking.

You only need look at the Reds last year for evidence. Their game against the Stormers was one of the most brutally effective gameplan changes i've ever seen. They went from flinging it about, to keeping it tight and pulverising one of the strongest packs in the competition in 7 days, and then back to their expansive game.

The Brumbies are doing it this year as well.

So why can Deans not even come up with ONE fucking plan, other than 'kick as aimlessly as possible, wait until its too late, and then keep the ball in hand, score a couple of nice tries before running out of time', and then say 'oh but we're building'.

Building what? A losing culture in yet another generation of Aussie rugby?

Call me old fashioned, but I quite liked the time when we played smart rugby. Even if we lost, I didn't mind it as much because I KNEW that we were playing to our limit. All these endless brainless losses to NZ, losing to England, Samoa at home, Scotland, IRELAND FFS....i'm sick of it.

Why is it that Genia and Cooper were so dynamite at the Reds, were capable of playing and executing different gameplans to suit different situations, and do it well, yet as soon as Deans gets his hands on them, Genia box-kicks badly all day and Cooper loses his head?

And don't even get me started on the bench...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I was at the game so I didn't hear what Kaplan said, but he had a long word with Read after that penalty was given.

The Tahs had made a break, were five metres out and going forward and Read gave away a really cynical penalty. Kaplan had a long word with him and it certainly warranted a warning.

It was the kind of play where you could have given a yellow card straight away without any need for a prior warning. It was a professional foul to stop the Tahs from scoring.

If Kaplan saw it that way a card was certainly on the cards. :)

I was at the ground and a Kiwi next to me said Read was OK because he was the tackler so he was entitled to do what he did. I said he didn't go to ground and by definition was not a tackler; if he had taken a knee he could have did what he did. The Kiwi guy seemed impressed by what I said and nodded his head in understanding.

I watched my recording this afternoon and bloody hell: Read did go to ground but it looked bad and I was fooled and so was Kaplan. It fooled the TV commentators too until they saw the replay. But that was karma for something not penalised earlier.

Mind you: Richie could have been binned for something that was egregious after he came on, near his 22 IIRR. It was as though he thought the laws had changed since the RWC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wasn't Read penalised at that point because he was offside before ever becoming involved in the tackle?

Cyclopath posted this a few pages ago:

Cyclopath said:
Just watched the replay now - Kaplan got a call from the AR - who identified "number 8" and when he made the mark for the penalty he indicated the offside defensive line. AND, on replay, Read had not retired before coming in to make the tackle. When Read asked if he "made the tackle", Kaplan said "You were offside". The commentators completely got it wrong, and turned the focus on the contest for the ball, which was not why the penalty was given.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Bit late but it only came to me today.

Watching Carter getting burnt on the wing by Fruean reminded me of that brilliant selection of Morgan Turunui on the wing against Habana.

It also ended in tears.

Reactions: BPC

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wasn't Read penalised at that point because he was offside before ever becoming involved in the tackle?

Cyclopath posted this a few pages ago:

Yep the commentators called quite a few penalties wrongly. They called Mumm for joining from the side when he was actually done for not releasing the tackled player close to that Read one.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bit late but it only came to me today.

Watching Carter getting burnt on the wing by Fruean reminded me of that brilliant selection of Morgan Turunui on the wing against Habana.

It also ended in tears.

How long ago was that BJ? Watched Pukunui the other night running around for Stade. What gets me is that he has only just turned 30. For all his deficiencies IMo he is the sort of player that a couple of the OZ teams could really do with as part of the squad.

C

Cave Dweller

If Kaplan saw it that way a card was certainly on the cards. :)

I was at the ground and a Kiwi next to me said Read was OK because he was the tackler so he was entitled to do what he did. I said he didn't go to ground and by definition was not a tackler; if he had taken a knee he could have did what he did. The Kiwi guy seemed impressed by what I said and nodded his head in understanding.

I watched my recording this afternoon and bloody hell: Read did go to ground but it looked bad and I was fooled and so was Kaplan. It fooled the TV commentators too until they saw the replay. But that was karma for something not penalised earlier.

Mind you: Richie could have been binned for something that was egregious after he came on, near his 22 IIRR. It was as though he thought the laws had changed since the RWC.
You get the tackler and the tackler assist. The tackler is the one going to ground on the tackle. The tackle assist must show daylight to allow the ball-carrier to exercise his option of placing, passing or letting the ball go.

Look at this

Ben Franks wasn't penalized but he should have been as he is a other player and must let the tackled player release or perform a option first before going for the ball. Even if he is on his feet.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
You get the tackler and the tackler assist. The tackler is the one going to ground on the tackle. The tackle assist must show daylight to allow the ball-carrier to exercise his option of placing, passing or letting the ball go.

Look at this

Ben Franks wasn't penalized but he should have been as he is a other player and must let the tackled player release or perform a option first before going for the ball. Even if he is on his feet.

Looks like Kitshoff himself accidentally kicked the ball away...

Status
Not open for further replies.