• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SupeRugby Final 2011: Queensland Reds V Canterbury Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Just as long as they don't start choreographed displays involving multiple players I think it's all good fun

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Neutral journalist Peter Bills of the Independent bagged the Qld crowd.

But two other things need to be said. The Crusaders remain a top class outfit and a credit to their shattered, broken city. Their play has given immense heart to their followers. How sad then that thousands and thousands of so-called Australian rugby 'supporters' could only boo and jeer when Dan Carter, one of the world's greatest players and a magnificent ambassador for his sport, lined up kicks at goal on Saturday.

It is to be hoped that New Zealand and South African supporters take note. Don't sink to the abysmal levels of the Queensland crowd in the home Tri-Nations games in the next few weeks and, in the case of the New Zealanders, in the World Cup this September/October. Show the world what true sportsmanship is about.

Thoughts?

There were some other interesting comments in the full article.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/news-comment/peter-bills-lessons-to-be-learned-from-super-15-final-2311924.html

I agree that Genia looked rattled for a majority of the game - but he is capable of moments of magic that win games even when he is not up to par.

D

daz

Just as long as they don't start choreographed displays involving multiple players I think it's all good fun

Yep. As a fan, I need to see that the game means something to the team as well. These little displays are a visual representation of enjoyment and character. Long may it continue.

But I'm with you TOCC; when it starts becoming an American NFL-style post-modern dance routine is when I would start to get turned off.

D

daz

How sad then that thousands and thousands of so-called Australian rugby 'supporters' could only boo and jeer when Dan Carter, one of the world's greatest players and a magnificent ambassador for his sport, lined up kicks at goal on Saturday.

It is to be hoped that New Zealand and South African supporters take note. Don't sink to the abysmal levels of the Queensland crowd in the home Tri-Nations games in the next few weeks and, in the case of the New Zealanders, in the World Cup this September/October. Show the world what true sportsmanship is about.

Ok, I suppose I will have my 2c and offer myself for ridicule. I am what can only be termed as a fence sitter on this subject.

On the one hand, I hate the crowd jeering when a place kick is in progress. I find it boorish, impolite and disrespectful. In many ways, I like the European (specifically UK) manners of silence.

On the other hand, the home crowd advantage means that the fans should try to make life as difficult as possible for the visitors. That is what home crowd advantage is all about.

My problem is that I really have no idea how to reconcile my "have it both ways" internal debate....!

Having said all that, I think that the journo here has a warped and short-term memory problem. Jeering during the place kick has nearly always been part of SH rugby. Some provinces more than others, but I can not remember a time when a kicker from any of the SH teams had a shroud of silence around him.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Their play has given immense heart to their followers. How sad then that thousands and thousands of so-called Australian rugby 'supporters' could only boo and jeer when Dan Carter, one of the world's greatest players and a magnificent ambassador for his sport, lined up kicks at goal on Saturday.

And the Kiwi fans booed Quade when he was lining up a kick as well, so why didn't he make mention of that?

I personally have no problem with booing while they're kicking, its one of the rewards for having a home game, there should be more home fans than away fans.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Maybe next time we can do the cricket clap-in as they run up to take it, should put Carter and Steyn off.

Z

Zeno

Neutral journalist Peter Bills of the Independent

Lee, Bills seems to be about as neutral as the Taliban. He mentions just one Reds player by name (compared with three from the losing team), and then only to be negative. There's not a single mention of anything the Reds did right. Genia's handling mistakes are credited to Crusaders pressure; Maitland's is put down to travel fatigue.

Once I'd seen the phrase 'the seemingly invincible Kiwi team' I knew he was just another Kiwi-besotted pants-wetter.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I actually don't mind the booing during goal kicks but they also booed McCaw and SBW when they went to the podium which is fairly ordinary.

Actually ch, I was at the game, and there was applause (as well as boos) for HRH Richie when he went to the podium.

But IMO this is all such a stuffed-shirt, holier-than-fucking-thou, theoretical and illusory debate:

- give me the 52,000 strong passionate crowd we had on July 9 making the whole game atmosphere incredibly exciting and exhilarating and all this (positively) means for rugby in Australia vs a 'school of restrained no-booing, politeness and virtue just as it'd be at a GPS game crowd of 3,000 'true rugby lovers'', ANY day of the week;

- what are we going to do with our virtuous standards that are so superior to the masses' ones: write to Rod McCall and the GM of Suncorp and suggest that the announcers request no booing and silence at place kicks on the grounds that we know better how 'people at rugby matches should behave to reflect well on the Australian nation so UK journos don't knock us'?. (And may I note: not once before, during, or after the game in the happy throngs on Caxton St did I witness one incident of violence, unpleasantly aggressive behaviour, nasty baiting calls to Cru supporters, or such like.)

Big games and big football codes unleash much of humanity's complexity, ego, vanity and, indirectly, insecurity and rawness. This is one of the reasons all footballs are such a massive global business. This unleashing will deliver some behaviours and emotions that are not ones we all personally endorse. But to get the emotions and behaviours we do love, it's just the go that you have to accept some that we don't.

99.99% of all that happened on July 9 at Suncorp (and all that led to it) should be grounds for massive celebration by every rugby loving or liking fan in this country. Our game is on the march again, and a new dawn for rugby in Australia was commenced that beautiful night.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
In the game in May, the crusaders fans booed louder than the Reds fans for kicks at goal.

Not so on Saturday night though. Reds fans were fired up to lift their team to the glorious victory they deserved. After watching seasons of shite, Saturday nights game was not a time to sit politely and admire the magnificent Crusaders machine as they rolled over the top of us - it was time to unleash hell.

If this bloke thinks the nz and springbok crowds won't boo our kickers, I don't think he's watched much southern hemisphere rugby.

Gingerbeer

Peter Burge (5)
Personally, I do not boo when the other team has a shot at goal. I booed as loudly as I could as the Crusaders came onto the field and even though I despise Dan Carter and loathe HRH Richie McCaw even more (as my Crusaders-supporting wife will definitely attest to this), I sat in silence when Carter had shots at goal (over the years I have also realised that other's booing of Carter has no effect on his accuracy anyway).

I wish other spectators didn't boo either but I am not overly concerned as they are free to make up their own mind. Although, I must admit that I was somewhat pleased the boos and jeers while Carter was kicking were louder than when Quade was lining up a shot (as Tangawizi points out it was the other way round a few weeks ago).

And despite my general contempt towards the Crusaders, I, like the vast majority of people at Suncorp last Saturday night, was happy to applaud Richie and the entire Crusaders team and coaching staff at the end of the game. There definitely were some portions of the crowd booing though and even more booing the match officials - both of which are terribly poor form in my books - I've come to accept that plenty will boo while the opposition takes a shot at goal but once the final whistle blows people really should act with some degree of decency.

Apart from that, both sides of the crowd on Saturday night were phenomenal - similar to RedsHappy's experiences I saw no signs of unpleasant behaviour, just a mutual respect of the efforts from both teams and an appreciation of a great game.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Watched the game again today with pause button in hand. Really enjoyed watching it again, highly recommend it!

Most people no doubt saw this stuff live but for me on replay a few things were emphasised;

- McCaw lacked his usually staggeringly high mobility
- Horwill had a monster of a game
- Robinson was everywhere
- Lance had incredible composure, gonna watch him closely
- Tapuai was superb
- Cooper was far better than I think many critics have given him credit for in that game
- Genia under intense pressure, yet still managed to do his job and scare the crap out of the Saders multiple times. Couple too many box kicks.
- The Reds forwards played out of their skins.

IMO MOM: Horwill with every other forward getting honourable mentions.

Gingerbeer

Peter Burge (5)
Watched the game again today with pause button in hand. Really enjoyed watching it again, highly recommend it!

I couldn't get to Ballymore on Sunday afternoon and really wanted to re-live some of the excitement and atmosphere from Suncorp so watched the entire pre-game, game and post-game show off the iQ - loved every minute of it. One of my favourite moments, Jono Lance running back one kick-off (I think, fairly sure it was a kick-off anyway) straight at SBW whom he sent flying onto his backside and then broke the next tackle of Fruean - just sensational stuff!

T

TOCC

I've been to entry of Reds games over the years where the kiwi fans(crusaders and blues) have out jeered and cheered there QLD counterparts..

SEQ has the highest number of kiwi migrants in the country, i don't think people understand the dynamic up there..

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Although not a fan of booing myself, I personally don't care if a crowd does it.

The downward looking crap which comes out of NH papers though, really gets on my goat when they judge on it. Granted, they don't boo at rugby matches, but jesus, anybody seen the crap that comes out a footy match? It's 90 minutes of straight out flat abuse to the away team. Absolutely nothing is sacred. There's a famous chant Tottenham way about Arsene Wenger being a paedophile & kidnapping Madeline McCann. For goodness sakes, I've never seen heard anything even one iota as close to offsensive as this.

Yes, I know I know, its a different sport, but a bit of harmless booing from a crowd, which may be more representative of a countries population than up north, is nothing but good natured banter. The shit that flies at football matches is not even close to that. It's disgusting & offensive. True sportsmanship is banter between fans, a bit of ribbing at the players & then a friendly handshake and a pint post match. And that's what your going to get in NZ & I'm sure what you got at Queensland.

Abysmal? Hardly.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Just adding my belated congrats to the Reds for Saturday night (they read this right?).

It was a great game to watch.

Nothing more really needs to be said.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
2 problems, the Cruaders back 3 counter attack is deadly.. And more importantly, no team in Super Rugby will ever win a territory kicking competition with the Crusaders..

DC will make you look like a rookie every time

But kicking it out isn't a territory kicking competition. They can't kick it back if it is out. And the back three can't counter, if it is out.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
MR, absolutely. I've never seen or heard anything even remotely like the kind of behaviour you see at European football games in a Super rugby game or test match. The banter between the supporters of different teams in a rugby crowd is usually pretty good natured.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Neutral journalist Peter Bills of the Independent bagged the Qld crowd.

But two other things need to be said. The Crusaders remain a top class outfit and a credit to their shattered, broken city. Their play has given immense heart to their followers. How sad then that thousands and thousands of so-called Australian rugby 'supporters' could only boo and jeer when Dan Carter, one of the world's greatest players and a magnificent ambassador for his sport, lined up kicks at goal on Saturday.

Thoughts?

There were some other interesting comments in the full article.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/news-comment/peter-bills-lessons-to-be-learned-from-super-15-final-2311924.html

I agree that Genia looked rattled for a majority of the game - but he is capable of moments of magic that win games even when he is not up to par.

Stupid, stupid article.

Status
Not open for further replies.