• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SVNS Series 2023/24

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Cards/pending bans aside this tournament has already turned out very well for the Women's side. With the other finalsts in 6th (USA: 22 points), 7th (Ireland: 18) and 9th (Great Britain: 8) on the standings they're set to extend their lead of 6 points at the top of the standings by at least 2 points (if they come 4th) and as much as 8 points if they win it.

If they do win and take their lead to 14 points then one of New Zealand or France would need to be pretty close to perfect for the 5 remaining tournaments to have a chance at chasing them down. That tight a grip on the title so soon is a great luxury to have in an olympic year where we may want to rest and/or experiment a bit in the later tournaments to be at our best for Paris.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I have mixed feelings about this. Our team seems to have way too many of these incidents. Do the crime, do the time.

Agree - it’s a hard one to navigate but I feel like there needs to be a horses for courses approach to the suspension system that might be more tailored to the way the circuit is run.

Each tournament is a show piece and to have Star players rubbed out for large chunks of it reduces the quality of the games and fan experience.

If’s not like they’re turning up at the same place the following week in front of the same crowd.

Definitely still needs to be punishments but possibly something more akin to what they do in horse racing where a jockey can serve suspensions at later dates to ensure they don’t miss showpiece events. For example I’m sure Madi Levi would prefer to play the rest of this tournament in front of the home fans and serve her suspension throughout the next tournament if that was available.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Half time for Aus-USA in the other Women's semi. Entire half played in USA's half, but they've defended well - only 12-0 so far. Really important try to Australia on the half.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cards/pending bans aside this tournament has already turned out very well for the Women's side. With the other finalsts in 6th (USA: 22 points), 7th (Ireland: 18) and 9th (Great Britain: 8) on the standings they're set to extend their lead of 6 points at the top of the standings by at least 2 points (if they come 4th) and as much as 8 points if they win it.

If they do win and take their lead to 14 points then one of New Zealand or France would need to be pretty close to perfect for the 5 remaining tournaments to have a chance at chasing them down. That tight a grip on the title so soon is a great luxury to have in an olympic year where we may want to rest and/or experiment a bit in the later tournaments to be at our best for Paris.

Might be worth letting Caslick, TLevi & Ashby put their feet up for the North American legs? See how the next level of players go in the top team & give them time in the environment in case they're needed in Paris.

Madi Levi apparently got four weeks so two games in Perth and the first two pool games in Vancouver.

Disappointing that she gets a two-match reduction for an offence in her first match back after being given a three-match reduction...

Really disappointed with the NZ men, ninth just isn't good enough. Women were unlucky to come up against Aus so early so I can live with them coming fifth, sixth not quite so much.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Missing both M Levi & Terita takes away a lot in terms of our strike power. Although Du Toit is still absolute class and will probably relish getting a bit more time (I’m assume that is how they’ll cover Levi - unless they just try and over power Ireland and give Nasser more time).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It was surprising it took so long for them to call Tegan Levi from the field for a HIA, it was clear she was out cold

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Some questionable calls in the women’s final, but Aussie women just too ill-disciplined and under too much pressure in that one. Ireland just maintained pressure throughout.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
How good for Ireland though and the Women’s game.

I remember the Sydney 7s in the early years of it when they brought Ireland out as cannon fodder for the Aus girls to flog in between men’s matches.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting tactics by Ireland. Slowed the game by calling scrums at every opportunity but too good on the day for the Aussie girls who learned some new lessons.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well done Ireland. Too good.

I feel like we had too many power players and not enough speed to capitalise on our normal game style - but I guess without Terita & Madi Levi and with Kaitlin Shave being very early in her career it was understanble to play the experienced players.