• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I just scratch my head at the idea of 16 & 17 year olds playing grade players 5 or more years older. If one of the 16 year olds were seriously injured I'd imagine the player insurance would be void and there would be some very nervous Souths coaches and board members. Hopefully some common sense prevails in future.

It would seem contrary to the ARU two-year window rule, which as you say would make insurance void I would imagine.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Under 18s include kids turning 17 or 18 this year which makes some of them (potentially) still 16. Let's call them 17.
Is it appropriate for them to be playing over 20 year olds?
You are the ones saying they were 16. Do you know for sure or assuming
I wont bother posting any more reports.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
I Know. 16 & 17. Keep the reports coming.
Dinga - if that is a fact it is i) an appalling breach of duty of care ii) indicates a very serious lack of judgement iii) should be noted and reported to the NSWRU.
I still cannot bring myself to believe it. Not calling you a liar either. Just gobsmacked.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Any word on how the Gordon colts looked on the weekend?
I hear their numbers a much improved on last year

I am pretty sure all three grades were overall successful against Warringah. They comfortably had the numbers on the weekend with reserves in each/most grades. That was with other players unavailable at the sevens tournament and general unavailability for trials that you usually get.

Is it true Norths are struggling for three colts sides?

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
I believe there is some truth, but more so due to injuries. There was 14 unavailable for the weekend and 8 on the long term injury list (6-8 weeks).
That is with 55 signed, so probably will start the season with 47 players, but will field 3 teams.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
While the norm seems to be 85 players+ are needed annually for a 3 team Colts campaign, Norths managed season 2014 with just 65 players to sustain their 3 teams. 44 players played at least one game in Colts 1, 50 likewise in Colts 2 and 46 in Colts 3.

With that player roster in 2014, both their Colts 1 and 2 teams put the sword through the Corporation twice which was something no other club was able to do, and they were generally competitive in all three Colts grades, despite having the second smallest player roster.

I am hearing a whisper that the Emus may not have the numbers for 3 teams this year. Hopefully Norths are able to get the extra 10 or so players needed to have a skinny but comfortable roster to fill 3 teams for 18 rounds, and we can avoid having two byes in Colts 3 like what happened last year.

If the Emus are unable to raise the numbers for three teams this season, I would encourage them, or the SRU to force them, to play Colts 3 and Colts 2 only and leave a bye in Colts 1. Going on results from last season, there was plenty of ticker shown by the young men in Emus Colts 1 but the reality was that they were Colts 2 standard players and they may have been more comfortable playing in a lower grade where there should have been less 100+ scores against them. Getting flogged by this nearly every week has to be a major disincentive in trying to attract and retain players into your Colts programme.

If Norths have to pull out of Colts 3, and a two team Emus play in Colts 2 and Colts 3, then there will be a bye in Colts 1 and Colts 3. That has to be a "better" solution than two byes in Colts 3, and a Club getting flogged in the 1's and 2's by 100+ points every week.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Don't forget if you a club 'logs on' for 3 teams at the start of the season in Colts and can't put the required bodies on the field its a $500 fine plus the -4 points on the table. I know it sucks for the other teams to have a bye each week but clubs can't afford that cash flow problem.
Better to have a stable balance sheet than to push the envelope week on week.

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
Dinga - if that is a fact it is i) an appalling breach of duty of care ii) indicates a very serious lack of judgement iii) should be noted and reported to the NSWRU.
I still cannot bring myself to believe it. Not calling you a liar either. Just gobsmacked.

It is not uncommon for players to go from Under 16s to Subbies Colts. As per the rules an U17 player can play up to U18s but not seniors (over U18s). However, They can apply for an exemption to allow them to play Seniors (Colts) by getting and assessment from a Level 2 coach.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The John 1 Dent Cup thread is reporting that the Emus Colts were defeated by the ACT Royals Colts by 50 - 7.

An ominous sign of another long year coming up for the Emus if they persist in registering a Colts 1 team.

Brett Kenna

Frank Row (1)
I am reliably informed that a combined 17's team from Hawkesbury and Rooty Hill were going to the Emus to play either 3rd grade or U18's with their existing coach.
Two Blues take on Southern Districts this coming weekend. With pleasing numbers from both camps, should be a good contest. Approximately 30 boys on the books for U18's, but a number will certainly play Colts in a variety of grades.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
It is not uncommon for players to go from Under 16s to Subbies Colts. As per the rules an U17 player can play up to U18s but not seniors (over U18s). However, They can apply for an exemption to allow them to play Seniors (Colts) by getting and assessment from a Level 2 coach.
Thanks Druid. I don't have the facts first hand, but @Dingasden says he knows that Juniors played against Seniors.
At our country club, it is possible for 18 year olds to play senior Rugby as per the clearance you mention. Dingasden is saying that 16 and 17 year olds played against Seniors. Unless it was agreed to play minimum contact I stand by me three observations.
In fact, last night I had that Cruel Sea (Tex Perkins) song, "Better Get a Lawyer Son", going through my head.
Can you imagine the Shit storm of grief in the media and courts if a 17 year old was seriously injured playing against a grade side in a Shute Shield pre season fixture? ( ... better get a real good one!)

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
Thanks Druid. I don't have the facts first hand, but @Dingasden says he knows that Juniors played against Seniors.
At our country club, it is possible for 18 year olds to play senior Rugby as per the clearance you mention. Dingasden is saying that 16 and 17 year olds played against Seniors. Unless it was agreed to play minimum contact I stand by me three observations.
In fact, last night I had that Cruel Sea (Tex Perkins) song, "Better Get a Lawyer Son", going through my head.
Can you imagine the Shit storm of grief in the media and courts if a 17 year old was seriously injured playing against a grade side in a Shute Shield pre season fixture? ( . better get a real good one!)

If they are turning 17 this calendar year, then provided the assessment has been done and clearance has been given then yes they can play against seniors, although under this scheme they are not permitted to play in the front row as I understand it. So in essence they could be 16 through until December and still play in Seniors this year (e.g. grade Rugby). It is up to the Level 2 Coach to assess and recommend that they are capable. So, if there was a serious injury, it's legal, but it would fall back on the Level 2 coach and the recommendation that was given.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
If they are turning 17 this calendar year, then provided the assessment has been done and clearance has been given then yes they can play against seniors, although under this scheme they are not permitted to play in the front row as I understand it. So in essence they could be 16 through until December and still play in Seniors this year (e.g. grade Rugby). It is up to the Level 2 Coach to assess and recommend that they are capable. So, if there was a serious injury, it's legal, but it would fall back on the Level 2 coach and the recommendation that was given.
Thanks Druid, that clears it up for me.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Meltose was playing 1st grade when picked for oz schools I think.
According to wikipedia Tim Watson played for essendon when he was 15.
Some are ready early and some are never ready.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Meltose was playing 1st grade when picked for oz schools I think.
According to wikipedia Tim Watson played for essendon when he was 15.
Some are ready early and some are never ready.
Prior to about 1970(?) when a boy left school he played grade Rugby,because there was no colts competition, i.e played against
mostly much older players.

Status
Not open for further replies.