• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>(I don't know about Easts at this stage as I understand they are negotiating with the manager of a number of Penrith players who wants to "sell" them as a job lot).<snip>

I hope that the Emus have enough players left to form three competitive squads. Must be bloody hard for the likes of @Cattledog to keep the faith when players are being encouraged to go to more "glamourous" clubs.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
I don't know about Easts at this stage as I understand they are negotiating with the manager of a number of Penrith players who wants to "sell" them as a job lot.
Are you saying that Easts are paying several players from Penrith to change clubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Are you saying that Easts are paying several players from Penrith to change clubs?

Not just easts. I am amazed at some of the figures being thrown around by some clubs. Offers of cash with free accomodation, paying of uni fees, guarantees of playing in firsts, no club fees, it's crazy. They are playing amateur rugby, and this practice of luring the best to a few clubs is weakening the level of competition.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)

There are a number of players who have engaged a manager to act on their behalf.
This includes colts players, & schoolboy players who have not yet left school, as well as those playing at a higher level.
This is not a new phenomena.
Obviously when a manager negotiates on behalf of a player with a club ,the question of money may be one of the
negotiating factors.
As Baz mentions above,a number of other things can be offered,or asked for also.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
I hope that the Emus have enough players left to form three competitive squads. Must be bloody hard for the likes of @Cattledog to keep the faith when players are being encouraged to go to more "glamourous" clubs.

Glamour is part of it but unfortunately this situation of players playing nowhere near where they live is fast becoming the norm. With the changes in the ethnic, wealth, & age demographics in parts of Sydney (along with a Sydney wide median house price of $750,000) many Shute Shield clubs are increasingly going to have to cast a wide net to maintain numbers & playing standards.

In a nutshell - These clubs are money rich but player poor & the Penrith District is player rich but money poor!

Last year there were at least 20 former Penrith Juniors or former colts players playing for other SS colts clubs. On top of this I encountered at least another 20 players who resided in our catchment area & who travelled to other SS colts clubs. OK all players are free agents but it's a bit rich when other clubs whinge about our inability to get a 3rd Colts!

Things like Randwick running training night buses to Campbelltown, Gordon, Southern Districts, West Harbour, Parramatta, & Eastwood all registering former Penrith players, & Easts recruiting directly from player managers located in Western Sydney are going to become the norm as the player pool in some districts continues to dry up.

It's clear to me that in the future many clubs are going to be made up of players who reside in Western Sydney & personally I don't have a problem with players chasing opportunity, clubs wanting to be competitive, or western Sydney becoming the "food bowl of Sydney Rugby". However, It would be nice if the clubs which are directly benefiting from development actually contributed to development and didn't whinge when we can't get teams!

Champion

Bob McCowan (2)
I heard josh thorndyke who played Chs is playing for easts
And lapana Vitale after having a year off from injury is playing for penerith
And a few of james wilkinson is bringing some league mates to gordon

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Randwick Colts Information Night 2015

Wednesday, 29 October 2014 17:50

When: 12th November 2014 – 6:30pm-8:00pm
Where: Coogee Bowling Club, 51 Dolphin St, Coogee
All current Colts, new Colts and prospective Colts welcome. Information regarding pre-season training, in-season training, Colts S&C and the 2015 Colts overview.
Please email Colts Director Travis Partridge if you have any queries –travis@randwickrugby.com.au
Travis Partridge
Director of Colts
Randwick Rugby Club
M: 0450 940 483
E: travis@randwickrugby.com.au
2015.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Manly Marlins
07%20Colts%20final-b574af4619.jpg

Colts Information Evening 2015
Come Down and hear how the Marlins are planning their assault on the Colts competition for 2015!
Speakers include:
President David Begg, Director of Rugby Tim Fairbrother, Director of Colts Jono Harvey, S&C Coach James Brodie & a host of current players to chat with

From preseason trials to training, on & off the field - All information will be provided & discussed

Time: Friday 7th November @ 7pm
Bring your parents and friends, light refreshments will be provided

http://www.manlyrugby.com.au/images/pdfs/Colts Info Night.pdf

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
thorndyke and vitale both to Gordon - guarantee of firsts colts. in discussing with a coast kid at wicks, Gordon have secured 4 new coast players, along with their current 4, all guaranteed first colts - 8 out of the first 15 from the coast - this is becoming a good feeder for Gordon.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
thorndyke and vitale both to Gordon - guarantee of firsts colts. in discussing with a coast kid at wicks, Gordon have secured 4 new coast players, along with their current 4, all guaranteed first colts - 8 out of the first 15 from the coast - this is becoming a good feeder for Gordon.
"guaranteed"?
Do the other players in Gordon's colts know about this arrangement?

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Just to nip this in the bud... I've spoken to Colts head coach David Telfer and his response was blunt... "at no stage has there been any promise of a guaranteed spot and I assume this would be the case for any club. The reason these players are coming to Gordon is to get exposed to a good rugby program."

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is just good to hear of what appears to be good numbers of recruits heading to Chatswood Oval.

Not many guarantees in Colts rugby. Anyone thinking that there is is due for a rude awakening.

Where you play week by week is all about skills, attitude and performance.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Just to nip this in the bud. I've spoken to Colts head coach David Telfer and his response was blunt. "at no stage has there been any promise of a guaranteed spot and I assume this would be the case for any club. The reason these players are coming to Gordon is to get exposed to a good rugby program."

I love a good bud nipping! Adds to notions of conspiracy theories! :) Thanks Gibbo - but I will still look forward to the doyen of Gordon Colts reportage for confirmation of what is undoubtedly true! ;)

Cheers, Wreckless

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Just to nip this in the bud. I've spoken to Colts head coach David Telfer and his response was blunt. "at no stage has there been any promise of a guaranteed spot and I assume this would be the case for any club. The reason these players are coming to Gordon is to get exposed to a good rugby program."

Im prepared to bet that the kid was told he was a good chance, or similar and that's been converted into certainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.