• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
Just curious if any one involved in colts as an insider or parent is aware of their clubs current colts training numbers and the likelihood of your club fielding an u18s colts team.
The other options for 16 & 17 year olds are pretty slim & if there is not a viable non-school competition for this age bracket we run the risk of losing players to the game forever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Just curious if any one involved in colts as an insider or parent is aware of their clubs current colts training numbers and the likelihood of your club fielding an u18s colts team.
The other options for 16 & 17 year olds are pretty slim & if there is not a viable non-school competition for this age bracket we run the risk of losing players to the game forever

I am informed that at the last meeting of club representatives at which the proposed under 18 competition was discussed, a large number of the clubs indicated that they
were not intending to nominate a team,as I indicated in an earlier post.There is an under 17 competition already,& I understand an "opens" competition also.A number of boys
who would be classified as under 18, currently play in the existing colts teams,& some of whom are in the higher grades.From my observation,many/most of the boys playing in
the 3rd grade colts competition are relatively young.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
I am informed that at the last meeting of club representatives at which the proposed under 18 competition was discussed, a large number of the clubs indicated that they
were not intending to nominate a team,as I indicated in an earlier post.There is an under 17 competition already,& I understand an "opens" competition also.A number of boys
who would be classified as under 18, currently play in the existing colts teams,& some of whom are in the higher grades.From my observation,many/most of the boys playing in
the 3rd grade colts competition are relatively young.
I spoke to an official at souths and was told at least 8 clubs are running an 18s team plus the other 3 colts teams and if a club cannot field an 18s team then a village club can take that clubs position in the 18s
Maybe Belly can give his understanding on the 18s comp.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I spoke to an official at souths and was told at least 8 clubs are running an 18s team plus the other 3 colts teams and if a club cannot field an 18s team then a village club can take that clubs position in the 18s
Maybe Belly can give his understanding on the 18s comp.
You may be right,I was told it was likely to be 6 by someone who was at the meeting.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
I went to forshaw rugby ground on thursday for final training session and then Xmas drinks.
I spoke to some people from Colts and they are very happy with how things are going. The Academy is going well with 3 to 4 tough sessions a week and players throwing themselves into it. I asked what are they doing and its all about power and strength with gym and Wanda sandhills.
The coaches said playing roster is looking very strong through all sides and some good recruiting. Only problem will be how many Colts find themselves in 1st or 2nds grade. From what i saw of the colts players is they all look bigger and Colts players are big guys.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
Word is that it is not looking great for the u18s Colts comp. my understanding is that there are only 4 clubs working towards having an u18s team. Most clubs are understandably focussing attention on 1sts 2nds & 3rds & of course grade and this will ramp up in early Feb. that's when clubs will take a look at their numbers & ages. To a large extent everyone including the players take a wait & see approach which makes it difficult to plan or know where the cards will fall. One thing for sure is that the numbers in junior club rugby from u13s & over have been dwindling for the last 5+ years but huge drop off in the u18s Sunday comp which has evolved from combing u17s about 4 years ago & before that a move by many clubs from Saturday comp which no longer exists to Sundays. The u18s Colts is the right answer but its going to take more than just leaving it to the clubs. If the collective rugby fraternity don't do something very quick, we will not have a rugby comp outside of Private Schools for u16s to u18s. Players will leave the sport & a large number that otherwise would have stayed if they had a viable comp to play in, will not return. When more than 5 or 6 Shute Shield clubs can't field 3rds colts, someone may actually see the size of the problem. There are no easy answers but the ARU, NSWRU, SJRU etc don't seem to have any ideas (or seem to care). They certainly don't have money to put towards fighting the problem.

Gavin

Frank Row (1)
Word is that it is not looking great for the u18s Colts comp. my understanding is that there are only 4 clubs working towards having an u18s team. Most clubs are understandably focussing attention on 1sts 2nds & 3rds & of course grade and this will ramp up in early Feb. that's when clubs will take a look at their numbers & ages. To a large extent everyone including the players take a wait & see approach which makes it difficult to plan or know where the cards will fall. One thing for sure is that the numbers in junior club rugby from u13s & over have been dwindling for the last 5+ years but huge drop off in the u18s Sunday comp which has evolved from combing u17s about 4 years ago & before that a move by many clubs from Saturday comp which no longer exists to Sundays. The u18s Colts is the right answer but its going to take more than just leaving it to the clubs. If the collective rugby fraternity don't do something very quick, we will not have a rugby comp outside of Private Schools for u16s to u18s. Players will leave the sport & a large number that otherwise would have stayed if they had a viable comp to play in, will not return. When more than 5 or 6 Shute Shield clubs can't field 3rds colts, someone may actually see the size of the problem. There are no easy answers but the ARU, NSWRU, SJRU etc don't seem to have any ideas (or seem to care). They certainly don't have money to put towards fighting the problem.

For the third year in a row, can I remind everyone that over the last six years while Grade Colts player numbers have been shrinking, Subbies colts numbers have increased. With both 1st and 2nd division competitions including colts, I estimate that several hundred school leavers opt for social rugby. I even have the feeling that they are lost because the grade clubs only pursue the elite schoolboys and show no interest in the 2nd grade players.

I worked with a different club this season, a club that was making a concerted effort to reestablish itself and even there, the focus was on 1st colts. 2nds were only significant in that half the team provided reserves and potential 1sts for 2015. 3rds were ignored.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
For the third year in a row, can I remind everyone that over the last six years while Grade Colts player numbers have been shrinking, Subbies colts numbers have increased. With both 1st and 2nd division competitions including colts, I estimate that several hundred school leavers opt for social rugby. I even have the feeling that they are lost because the grade clubs only pursue the elite schoolboys and show no interest in the 2nd grade players.

I worked with a different club this season, a club that was making a concerted effort to reestablish itself and even there, the focus was on 1st colts. 2nds were only significant in that half the team provided reserves and potential 1sts for 2015. 3rds were ignored.

Maybe there lies the problem!

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Maybe there lies the problem!
That is the problem, some clubs cannot be bothered with 3 colts sides and are lazy even though the rules state to play SS you must have 4 grade and 3 Colts sides. The clubs that dont field 7 sides get a token fine which they dont pay.
I have heard a suggestion that in 2016 any club that doesnt put out the required 7 teams the 1st grade side gets deducted 2 competition points for that round.
That will get a few clubs putting in the extra effort.

E

emus4life

very pleased to say that penrith will have 3 colts teams in 2015. including the 3rds or u18s being the champion u17s from western raptors. looking good since hawkesbury and raptors were rightfully returned to penrith juniors.

E

emus4life

That is the problem, some clubs cannot be bothered with 3 colts sides and are lazy even though the rules state to play SS you must have 4 grade and 3 Colts sides. The clubs that dont field 7 sides get a token fine which they dont pay.
I have heard a suggestion that in 2016 any club that doesnt put out the required 7 teams the 1st grade side gets deducted 2 competition points for that round.
That will get a few clubs putting in the extra effort.

great idea mate we need clubs to put more effort into the colts

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
very pleased to say that penrith will have 3 colts teams in 2015. including the 3rds or u18s being the champion u17s from western raptors. looking good since hawkesbury and raptors were rightfully returned to penrith juniors.
The 18s is a 4th Colts team IF it ever gets off the ground. I think it will be a big ask for a number of clubs to achieve 4 colts teams with enough depth to cope with season injuries. It would surprise me if the Raptors players don't end up in 3rds colts before round 1 but I hope you're right.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Souths colts are back training after the xmas break and i went and watched there Academy train and its a very impressive training program they run and it was hard training and the players really put in and they have energy drinks and protein shakes for the players. The gym is a privatly owned crossfit gym and the person who owns the gym runs the Academy training.
All colts training started last night and i have head they had really good numbers
Souths have certainly turned there colts program around the past 3 seasons.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Manly?
They have to replace their entire pack don't they?
Can't see them figuring in the finals this year.

Agree! Manly invested everything last season and only just fell short! Cruel game - to lose two GF's each by only a point or two! Good luck to these young men - cruel losses will make eventual triumphs even better! Hopefully with the appropriate degree of humility! :) Wreckless

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Without detailed knowledge of the 2015 team lists, it is rather speculative to have a go at the possible relative strengths of the 2015 Colts 1 competition but FWIW first thoughts are: ..... .... .... ...

Perennial Favourites:
Sydney Uni - All the usual reasons. Will not be happy not winning Colts1 GF last year.

Probable Contenders:
Randwick - On the up. Invested heavily in recruits plus have some quality home grown former juniors coming on line. Player points may be an issue for them.
Norths - Unlucky to miss out last year, having rolled the Corporation twice in home and away games.
Souths - lack of depth was exposed last year but positive reports are coming out of pre-season training.

Possible Bolters:
Easts - If Pauliasi Tameopeau is still Colts Director, they will be well prepared. Recruiting has been difficult for the Beasts in recent times.
Eastwood - Picked up some good Rockstar recruits recently and have some good local lads coming through their programme.
Manly - Lots of the 2014 Colts1's will be going to grade, but their 2's and 3's made GF last year, plus they should have some quality recruits this year from Augies 2014 (after Wicks, Uni, Norths and Gordon are finished).

Others:
Parramatta - The 2012 Oakhill boys move on to grade this year leaving some big shoes to fill. Hopefully they have recruited well to fill those shoes. Numbers sound promising.
Penrith - Always struggle to retain local talent, due to aggressive recruiting by other clubs, and aspirational players seeking "greener fields".
West Harbour - Perpetual mid-table dwellers who often struggle to attract and retain players despite the quality of their programmes.
Gordon - Still rebuilding. Reports are that they will field 3 teams this year, and that they have recruited wisely and attracted/retained some quality former Gordon Juniors. Good news.
Warringah - See West Harbour comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.