• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydney Rugby tragic

Peter Burge (5)
yes. most of it anyway. I thought country had some very talented players, but lacked a little cohesion. The Sydney side just had better individual players, with Nohra from woods far too quick for anyone to catch. The poor weather did not help the flow of the game, but it was a good crowd I thought. Seemed to be a good range of players from most clubs which was goog to see.

That's good to see , I thought country were well beat last yr. considering the country boys lose at lot of players to sydney its pleasing that they can still be competitive

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Sydney boys hobbled together. Not sure Rappy asked for certain players or clubs sent who they could get but all postions were covered. Boys warmed up and heard the game plan and then it was on.Country came out hard but the syd talent pool was just too good.
1-3 Sedgman. Bowditch. Finley
4-5 Margin. Davies
6Woodhill
8Lough
10Hammond. Maddocks?
12King
13Molloy. Sione Afu
11-14Nohra
Edited with your input Thks
Feel free to add the others

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
king (norths) I think was 12, Nohra (woods) was 14, Hammond (souths) was 10, finley (norths) was 18, maddocks(easts) not sure number,

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The names you mention @10to12 would be well known to each other with many playing together through the age groups either together or against each other at Club and School competitions.

My snout says one of the second rowers was Andrew Davies from the Rats.

If you exclude the 2014 Aust Schoolboys and those who were in the U20 programme last year, and then allow for some young men who were unable to back up from a club game on the Saturday due to a niggle or just being too stuffed, the names put forward so far seem to be a fair bit better than just a rabble assembled just to make up the numbers.

I'd expect Jack Haysen and Nick Burkett to have made an appearance along with Ted Pye or Tommy Sawden. Were the Clancy boys in the U20 programme? Tonga Tangitau and Jordan Lotuaniu in the pot plant division? David Smerdon perhaps to guide the princesses around.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sydney Colts U19's
1. Jakob Sedgeman (Norths)
3. Jack Bowditch (Gordon)
5. Jack Margin (Gordon)
6. Jum Woodhill (Randwick)
8. James Lough (Gordon)
10. Brock Hammond (Souths)
12. Charles King (Norths)
13. Tom Molloy (Randwick)
14. Josh Nohra (Eastwood)

18. Will Finley (Norths)
22. Jack Maddocks (Easts)
23. Sione Afu (Gordon)

Apparently if the player was in the mix last year they didn't have trial
This was more of a chance to see new players to the scene , I've been informed
To many of those longer in the tooth, most of the players listed above would not be considered "new players to the scene", having performed with distinction at NSW JRU State Champs and NSW SRU All Schools Tournaments at U16 and U18 level as well as ASRU National championships but they may be formally "unknown" to some of the Clipboards. Based on their performances at National Schoolboys Championships, several of the names above would have made Aust Schoolboys if I was a Selector last year.

Sydney Rugby tragic

Peter Burge (5)
Sydney Colts U19's
1. Jakob Sedgeman (Norths)
5. Jack Margin (Gordon)
8. James Lough (Gordon)

18. Will Finley (Norths)
22. Jack Maddocks (Easts)
23. Sione Afu (Gordon)

To many of those longer in the tooth, most of the players listed above would not be considered "new players to the scene", having performed with distinction at NSW JRU State Champs and NSW SRU All Schools Tournaments at U16 and U18 level as well as ASRU National championships but they may be formally "unknown" to some of the Clipboards. Based on their performances at National Schoolboys Championships, several of the names above would have made Aust Schoolboys if I was a Selector last year.
Some of the above did not play sydney colts last season
So that was my meaning of new to the scene .
But I must say going on school boy form and reputations
How many come out the small fish pond of school rugby into
League of colts & don't perform

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ I concur that plenty come out of the School system and don't perform to expectations, and that can be for a whole variety of reasons and not just the good old chestnuts that it was because they were spoiled members of the AAGPS secret handshake club, Manu's Koala Club, or Daddy was on the SJRU executive.

Fairly sure that Finley and Margin were playing Colts last year.

Sedgemen, Bowditch, Lough, Woodhill, Molloy, Afu (and probably some of the others) would have been discouraged from playing Colts last year by their Schools.
Maddocks chose to prioritise education over rugby in his last year of school.

Anyway the discussion is somewhat academic now as they have had a chance to show their wares to the Clipboards in the big bad world of colts. Myself, I think a better judge of a players performance would be watching how they performed in their regular Colts games against Wicks, The Corporation or Norths, rather than watching them in a once of "trial" against the Country 20's. That would take a bit of time to get around the grounds each week, or to review the video footage from the matches.

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
Are you all serious? I would have thought that any chance for boys to show what they've got, outside of regular pathway channels, would be a good thing. I say good on Tim Rapp and his team for going the extra mile and trying to find the odd few who might have got away. Or identifying boys who may have 'shot up' in size or skill-set over the last 9-12 months or so. Not saying this is anything exceptional on its own, or anywhere near enough to 'fix' rugby union recruitment issues, but let's applaud them for the effort. Surely there's nothing bad about this? I can't believe the whinging going on - take a long hard look at yourselves.!!

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Sydney Colts U19's that played yesterday.
1. Sean Dillion (Gordon)
2. Juniot Tonga Tangitau (West Harbour)
4. Big Randwick Boy I think... Check the socks.......
5. Jack Margin (Gordon)
7. Unidentified player from (Randwick Player)
8. James Lough (Gordon)
9. Tall lad with green headgear......
11.Jack Conan (Souths)

16.Unidentified Parramatta Hooker
17.Jakob Sedgeman (Norths)
18. Will Finley (Norths)
20.Unidentified player from Parramatta
21. Unidentified player from Warringah Half Back
22. Player from Warringah Jack was there but didnt play
23. Eastwood player (Talking to his Mum)
24.Sione Afu (Gordon)

After the game the boys told to concentrate on their season and will hear from Tim Rapp after the season.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)

Attachments

• Sydney Under 19\'s v Country  (1).jpg
    Sydney Under 19\'s v Country (1).jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 402
  • Sydney Under 19\'s v Country  (2).jpg
    Sydney Under 19\'s v Country (2).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 403
  • Sydney Under 19\'s v Country  (3).jpg
    Sydney Under 19\'s v Country (3).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 565
  • Sydney Under 19\'s v Country  (4).jpg
    Sydney Under 19\'s v Country (4).jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,195
  • Sydney Under 19\'s v Country  (5).jpg
    Sydney Under 19\'s v Country (5).jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 445

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are you all serious? I would have thought that any chance for boys to show what they've got, outside of regular pathway channels, would be a good thing. I say good on Tim Rapp and his team for going the extra mile and trying to find the odd few who might have got away. Or identifying boys who may have 'shot up' in size or skill-set over the last 9-12 months or so. Not saying this is anything exceptional on its own, or anywhere near enough to 'fix' rugby union recruitment issues, but let's applaud them for the effort. Surely there's nothing bad about this? I can't believe the whinging going on - take a long hard look at yourselves.!!

Whinging?
Is challenging the assertion that the players were not new to the mix a whinge?

Is suggesting that the U20 selectors would be better off viewing how the candidates perform in games against tough opponents that are laden with 20 year old men and U19 rock stars rather than in a trial against the Country 20's a whinge?

IMHO that would be going the extra mile to find the odd few that might have got away or shot up a skill set since leaving school. I would rather Cheika selects the Wallabies based on their performances against NZ, SAF and IRE, currently 1, 2 and 3 in IRB ranks, rather than how they go in one off exhibition matches against Barbarian teams or the USA, Canada or Tonga.

And if you want a whinge, how fair is it that Jack Conen would have been judged compared with Josh Nohra, when Jack C had to back up from a physical match on Saturday against Parramatta, whereas Josh N would be fresh and raring to go after the Eastwood v Manly match was postponed?

In terms of unearthing a gem or two, the largely unheralded Beasts have of late accounted for Gordon and The Corporation. That doesn't happen by magic, yet none of their players seem to have been invited to showcase their shoot-up in size or skill set. Nick Makas, Ted Pye, Jack Maddocks, Will Ball and Suaesi Iosua to name but a few of the better players at the Beasties who have not been previously recognised by SJRU, NSW SRU selectors and are all 1st year Colts.

It is great that young men are playing footy, and awesome that the Country 20's team (noting that there are more than a slack handful of their talented kids now turning out for Sydney Colts clubs) gets a good challenging hitout, but as @Rugby Mum has said the lads need to concentrate on their season.

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
[snip]Myself, I think a better judge of a players performance would be watching how they performed in their regular Colts games against Wicks, The Corporation or Norths, rather than watching them in a once of "trial" against the Country 20's. [snip]

Maybe not a whinge (def: complaining in an annoying or persistent way) but certainly saying this match was a waste of time and they should have done something different.

Anyway, I'm sure Tim and his lieutenants are getting around the grounds through the season and checking out the colts talent.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maybe not a whinge (def: complaining in an annoying or persistent way) but certainly saying this match was a waste of time and they should have done something different.

Anyway, I'm sure Tim and his lieutenants are getting around the grounds through the season and checking out the colts talent.

If you think that "I think a better judge of a players performance would be watching how they perform in their regular Colts matches against the Colts heavyweights as opposed to how they go in a pick up team against the Country 20's" is a complaint, complaining in a an annoying way, or complaining in a persistent way, then you and I have a different interpretation of the words annoying, persistent and complaining.

Did I say that the match was a waste of time or has that been inferred the rather obvious conclusion that it would take plenty of time to get around the grounds or review game videos each week?

I just believe (now I am being persistent) that the game on Sunday needs to be seen for what it it was, and not be portrayed as something that it wasn't.

The reality of the situation is that Rappy and his snouts are getting around the grounds, kids without extensive schoolboy scrapbooks are getting noticed, kids with extensive schoolboy credentials including former Aust Schoolboys that don't continue to perform are getting bypassed, and the net is cast very wide for talented players to be considered for the next level.

To see what a good job Rappy is doing, one only needs to look at how few complaints there were about how many folk were dudded by the process to select the 2015 NSW Under 20s, and compare that with the rather active discussion about the composition of Aust U20s.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Given the number of boys in the Sydney team that are really Country boys, perhaps the game should be renamed Sydney/Country combined U19s vs Country Colts.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
A great opportunity to see how these boys that were available to play, blend and work as a team. Some kids are great in a familiar team, but how well can they play in an unknown mix?? Are they team players? A good chance for a look at what's around and how they can adapt, with no training and a quick game plan.

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
If you think that "I think a better judge of a players performance would be watching how they perform in their regular Colts matches against the Colts heavyweights as opposed to how they go in a pick up team against the Country 20's" is a complaint, complaining in a an annoying way, or complaining in a persistent way, then you and I have a different interpretation of the words annoying, persistent and complaining.

No, I actually said that it probably wasn't a whinge!:
Maybe not a whinge (def: complaining in an annoying or persistent way) . . .

Anyway, HJ, my apologies. I think perhaps I was superimposing your 'slightly negative' commentary on that fixture over the constant complaining wrt selections on the Aust U20s thread. My bad.

Would like to smoke the peace pipe, based on your subsequent comments, which I wholeheartedly agree with. I do think Rappy is getting it more right than the Queenslanders, given the results of the last two years in Canberra (Nat'l U20s comp). I think we agree on that. And the next level of selections is perhaps not getting it quite right, and many G&G forum posters agree on that.

Last point I'll make is that there is a common factor in the above re selection issues. However, that discussion isn't for this thread.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
For the life of me, I can not tip the Beasties this year. If I tip them to lose, they win and vice versa. About the only success I have had was their Bye round!

HJ - I thought the bye was stiff as well! ;)

Cheers, Wreckless

Status
Not open for further replies.