• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Rather than pointing the blame at Randwick or Sydney Uni, who have proactively built attractive club structures (and no not everyone is on a scholarship at these two clubs), should we not instead be asking what the powers at Manly, West Harbour, Gordon have done to create an environment where people are so ready and willing to walk away?

The proposal of capping the number of players in the squad is a great idea, although will get no traction while clubs have poor colts programs in place, hence the desire to warehouse them with Randwick, Uni.

The Gen Blue selections i believe are driven by club nominations, so anger in this department is probably best directed at the Norths Colts managers, not the Gen Blue coaching staff. If what has been posted earlier is correct, i think you will find a large portion of those Norths colts from 1XV last year were too old for the Gen Blue side this year.

if Randwick and Uni are claiming the credit for providing attractive environments to all the talent they should take the blame when that talent does not produce at higher levels.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Hans I am not quite sure where you come from but you don't know much about Colts rugby or recruitment. It is an Arms race between Uni and Randwick. I have been told by players that have not gone to their Junior club that the reason they went to Uni or Randwick is that they were told they will have a better chance of making a rep team by being at one of those two clubs. This is self perpetuating as the good players all go to the two strong clubs where they steamroll the opposition and look like stars.
However as Inside Shoulder rightly says when they try and go to that next level they struggle because they have not been put under pressure or performed in pressure situations.
I have said before Australian Rugby needs to fix the pathway if we are to be competitive at the senior level.

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Rather than pointing the blame at Randwick or Sydney Uni, who have proactively built attractive club structures (and no not everyone is on a scholarship at these two clubs), should we not instead be asking what the powers at Manly, West Harbour, Gordon have done to create an environment where people are so ready and willing to walk away?

The proposal of capping the number of players in the squad is a great idea, although will get no traction while clubs have poor colts programs in place, hence the desire to warehouse them with Randwick, Uni.

The Gen Blue selections i believe are driven by club nominations, so anger in this department is probably best directed at the Norths Colts managers, not the Gen Blue coaching staff. If what has been posted earlier is correct, i think you will find a large portion of those Norths colts from 1XV last year were too old for the Gen Blue side this year.
I would strongly argue that Randwick and Uni run the best Colts program
I am sure most clubs run good programs
Souths run a very good program with good financial backing from the club and Sponsors.
One of the big attractions for the rock star schoolboy players is they know they will be in the Gen Blue squads so taking up a Scholarship at UNSW and Syd Uni and possibly living on campus or in the areas makes getting to Moorepark for training etc a lot easier than driving for an hour plus each way or catching trains and buses
Stick the Gen Blue training out at Parramatta and see what happens at Randwick and Uni.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I would strongly argue that Randwick and Uni run the best Colts program
I am sure most clubs run good programs
Souths run a very good program with good financial backing from the club and Sponsors.
One of the big attractions for the rock star schoolboy players is they know they will be in the Gen Blue squads so taking up a Scholarship at UNSW and Syd Uni and possibly living on campus or in the areas makes getting to Moorepark for training etc a lot easier than driving for an hour plus each way or catching trains and buses
Stick the Gen Blue training out at Parramatta and see what happens at Randwick and Uni.
Take the scholarships away and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There is ambitious Reps players in 3rd colts at Randwick as well and they are not very happy.

While the Randwick colts are getting the results at this time, there are murmurs that many are not happy there due to interesting coaching techniques - it is alleged that a couple of weeks ago they dropped their whole 1sts team, & promoted the 2nds. I'd have liked to see their points for 2nds that week!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
While the Randwick colts are getting the results at this time, there are murmurs that many are not happy there due to interesting coaching techniques - it is alleged that a couple of weeks ago they dropped their whole 1sts team, & promoted the 2nds. I'd have liked to see their points for 2nds that week!
Points would be the same - they have 2 first grade sides.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hans I am not quite sure where you come from but you don't know much about Colts rugby or recruitment. It is an Arms race between Uni and Randwick. I have been told by players that have not gone to their Junior club that the reason they went to Uni or Randwick is that they were told they will have a better chance of making a rep team by being at one of those two clubs. This is self perpetuating as the good players all go to the two strong clubs where they steamroll the opposition and look like stars.
However as Inside Shoulder rightly says when they try and go to that next level they struggle because they have not been put under pressure or performed in pressure situations.
I have said before Australian Rugby needs to fix the pathway if we are to be competitive at the senior level.
Bob Dwyer was using the same line on NSW players in the 90s - it's their birth right

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)

I'd suggest rotation policy is probably more likely. Follow the team lists!

S

sidelineview

Randwick Colts vs Eastwood @ TG Milner
COLTS 1 3 pm COLTS 2 COLTS 3
1 Callum Quinn Sione Nikau Dan Matthew
2 Blake Schoup Jack Upton James McNeill
3 Will Anderson Ethan Micallef Carter Hoy
4 Tom Pirrodi Tom Nowlan James Macaskill
5 Sam Musgrove Alex Corcoran Travis Griffin
6 Joe Feltis Tom Serhon Latham James
7 Lochie Simpson Lewis Allen Michael Midson
8 Christian Poidevin Gus Vivers Ben O'Sullivan
9 Tom Wong Judd Kerrison Dimitry Chipizubov
10 Nick Wilkinson Patrick Pelligrini Ryley Angles Cork
11 Cameron Gleave Will Douglass Barney Pinkerton
12 Zac Trinkler Matt Orpen Morgan Steyn
13 Ronald Streeter Mason Zac Carr Max Rivers
14 Dan Boardman Jaya Yaonnidis Tom Callaughan
15 Dion Narayan Lachie Day Darcy Searle
REPLACEMENTS REPLACEMENTS REPLACEMENTS
16 Don Matthew 16 16
17 Tyzac Jordan 17 17
18 18 18
19 19 19
20 20 20
21 21 Max Rivers 21 Ben Edwards
22 22 Jesoni Ryder 22 John Taukolo
23 23 Dallas Paterson 23 James Tinker

S

sidelineview

Who is Don Matthew @16?

And Dan Matthew playing 3rds? Really?

Is it the same bloke returning from injury and listed twice?

The same bloke I'd guess ... a typo.
Apparently last season's Baa baas are allowed to play 3rds.

tooldtoplay

Bob McCowan (2)
Randwick Colts vs Eastwood @ TG Milner
COLTS 1 3 pm COLTS 2 COLTS 3
1 Callum Quinn Sione Nikau Dan Matthew
2 Blake Schoup Jack Upton James McNeill
3 Will Anderson Ethan Micallef Carter Hoy
4 Tom Pirrodi Tom Nowlan James Macaskill
5 Sam Musgrove Alex Corcoran Travis Griffin
6 Joe Feltis Tom Serhon Latham James
7 Lochie Simpson Lewis Allen Michael Midson
8 Christian Poidevin Gus Vivers Ben O'Sullivan
9 Tom Wong Judd Kerrison Dimitry Chipizubov
10 Nick Wilkinson Patrick Pelligrini Ryley Angles Cork
11 Cameron Gleave Will Douglass Barney Pinkerton
12 Zac Trinkler Matt Orpen Morgan Steyn
13 Ronald Streeter Mason Zac Carr Max Rivers
14 Dan Boardman Jaya Yaonnidis Tom Callaughan
15 Dion Narayan Lachie Day Darcy Searle
REPLACEMENTS REPLACEMENTS REPLACEMENTS
16 Don Matthew 16 16
17 Tyzac Jordan 17 17
18 18 18
19 19 19
20 20 20
21 21 Max Rivers 21 Ben Edwards
22 22 Jesoni Ryder 22 John Taukolo
23 23 Dallas Paterson 23 James Tinker

tooldtoplay

Bob McCowan (2)
Would love to know where all these players are from. Who are Randwick juniors and who are imports. What the %. I know a few but not all.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Would love to know where all these players are from. Who are Randwick juniors and who are imports. What the %. I know a few but not all.

Wouldn't we all??

Just looking at the Souths team lists for his weekend, and I can see that 12 of the starting 15 in 1sts Colts are locals* (with a combined total of 23 Player Points between them) while 2nds Colts have 14 locals in the starting 15 (for a grand total of 16 PP). And yes, before you jump on me, the term 'locals' does include a couple of country boys who started playing with us at the beginning of last year, but who remain committed to Souths and are living and working locally. Interestingly, we have a number of former NSW schools players in our squad, as well as 3 players from this year's Gen Blue U20s, not too mention a handful of guys who were part of the Gen Blue U19 development group - and the beauty of it is that all but a couple of these guys are Southern Districts local juniors!

Yes, we may have some players who have come to us from other clubs (not many, mind you!) but what they tend to find at Souths is a strong club culture that encourages the development of junior players within a positive environment - and for the most part our newcomers fit into that process very well. Souths doesn't promise starting positions in 1st Grade, or selection in a rep side - players earn their positions through their commitment to training and their performance on the field, and while the results in 2nds and 3rds have been a bit disappointing in recent weeks, the 4 wins on the trot for 1st Grade Colts demonstrates that something's working for us.

S

sidelineview

Old Colt, you could sell sand to the Arabs.

What a great spiel about the Souths colts program. It sounds perfect.

How many players specifically ''may'' have come to you from other Clubs?

Does Souths have an affiliation with any tertiary institutions and are you able to offer players any incentives regarding their studies?
If so, have any of your colts players taken advantage of the opportunity?

Are there any other ''incentives'' that have attracted players to or kept them there at Souths ?

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Old Colt, you could sell sand to the Arabs.

What a great spiel about the Souths colts program. It sounds perfect.

How many players specifically ''may'' have come to you from other Clubs?

Does Souths have an affiliation with any tertiary institutions and are you able to offer players any incentives regarding their studies?
If so, have any of your colts players taken advantage of the opportunity?

Are there any other ''incentives'' that have attracted players to or kept them there at Souths ?

Now that the sand hills of my childhood have all but disappeared, I have to do something!!

But seriously..... by my count we have 4 players across the entire playing squad (approx 70-75 players) who played for another Shute Shield club last year. We've also picked up some league players along the way, some of whom are mates and/or relatives of existing players.

I'm not sure about the exact situation vis-a-vis incentives or scholarships, though I know that the club has been trying to establish a program with Wollongong Uni. As I'm not involved, I can't provide any specific details for this.

What I can say, though, is that the vast majority of our blokes are coming to training and playing the game simply because they want to be part of this group - and it seems to me that the new guys, whether they be the small number of players from other clubs, or local boys just out of school, or guys who've come from league, are buying into it in a big way. A lot of our blokes played last year, and while 2nds and 3rds both made the semis, 1sts didn't quite meet expectations. This year, with some new coaches and an big influx of local juniors, our numbers are impressive and attendance at training is fantastic.

There was a good demonstration of the large contingent of local players in our teams last weekend, with our 'Back to Juniors' initiative - players from local clubs were asked to wear their old club socks, and the representation from clubs like Burraneer, Sylvania, Oatley, Menai and Rockdale was outstanding.

S

sidelineview

Good luck to you and the Souths Club Old Colt but would you guys (or any other club) honestly knock back talented players from other Clubs if they wanted to play for you, for whatever reason?

To be fair dinkum, Randwick or Uni couldn't care less what anyone from other clubs think about them or their recruitment policies. They attract players for a reason.

I dont have the specific numbers but plenty of Randwick colts are there to play the game with their mates and they also like the culture of the Club.

Some have been offered opportunities in regards to their studies and employment but that doesnt mean they dont enjoy playing for the Club anyway. And the Club has put in the work to set it up that way so it could be a bit of sour grapes coming from other Clubs.

It's not an even playing field but the governing body needs to do something about that.

Looking at the positives though: for every young bloke playing Colts for any Club for any reason, it means it's one less young bloke playing league.

Status
Not open for further replies.