• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidestep

Frank Row (1)
I don't really care, it could be the district clubs, the ARU, NSWRU, how much are we really talking about 100,000, pass a hat around after the next Wallaby loss and the players can throw in 5k of their 10k match fee, job done.
All I care about is getting more players exposed to high level rugby. The bigger the pool of players, the more depth you have.
The problem we have is that basically the same players have been receiving extra coaching since day dot, they get coached to play how the powers to be want them to play, so the are better coached, have better fitness and their skills are more refined hence they continue to get picked. That doesn't make them better rugby players, it just makes them puppets to the system. More exposure to more players that is all I want.

Could not agree more with this comment. It would appear that just because time is invested in these select few players, no one else is given the opportunity to compete at the next level. Players develop skills, physicality and maturity at different times, therefore it is hard to believe that there is little to no movement with these elite squads. There is a tremendous amount of disenchantment with some very talented rugby players who either turn to League or indeed give the game away.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Parramatta Rugby is pleased to announce the appointment of Peter Ma'a as Director of Colts. Peter has a long association with the Two Blues and is highly respected in the wider Rugby Community. Peter's role will be to coordinate the entire Colts program which will now incorporate Study Assistance Grants and a dedicated S&C program. Peter has already commenced in the role and is keen to build on the talent in our current Colts and our local Juniors and Schools.

S

sidelineview

So what's the difference between school rugby and Colts?
Besides the fact that the new Colts players will be competing against players a year older than them, what else?

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
So what's the difference between school rugby and Colts?
Besides the fact that the new Colts players will be competing against players a year older than them, what else?

One of the more significant differences is that school rugby is played using the U/19 laws, which restrict the scrums from pushing more than 1.5m - in 1st & 2nd grade Colts there is no such restriction, meaning that a dominant scrum, with props who can actually scrummage effectively, is a much more potent weapon than it is in school rugby.

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
I think one of the major differences is you may have to play 24 weeks straight - 3 trials, 18 comp games and 3 finals with no weeks off - although I hear there may be 1 week off this year. School boys rarely play more than 6 weeks before school holidays break it up.

IMO the top teams in Colts 1 is a fair jump up in standard from school First XV. The top teams have good rugby players in every position.

Also the crowds are not very big.

Players and parents can have a beer after the game at the ground.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think one of the major differences is you may have to play 24 weeks straight - 3 trials, 18 comp games and 3 finals with no weeks off - although I hear there may be 1 week off this year. School boys rarely play more than 6 weeks before school holidays break it up.

IMO the top teams in Colts 1 is a fair jump up in standard from school First XV. The top teams have good rugby players in every position.

RA - agree with all your points, but the last is probably the most important.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A major difference is that player performance is reviewed weekly.

In most clubs players move freely and often between grades based on the post game analysis by Club Coaches, and attitude and application at training. After Player Points considerations are taken into account, the club selectors care little what school or rep team the player was in in their Year 12.

Their week by week performances are paramount.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Absolutely. Many, many players struggle in their first year of colts having to back up week in week out for up to 24 weeks. It's a physical and mental test for them.
A major difference is that player performance is reviewed weekly.
You're only as good as your last game ..........

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

Having coached this age group, blokes don't know what to do with themselves around game 15. Often the motivation dies down until finals time (or completely if you're not going to make finals).

It's a lot of football for them.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Having coached this age group, blokes don't know what to do with themselves around game 15. Often the motivation dies down until finals time (or completely if you're not going to make finals).

It's a lot of football for them.

It was worse when they had to play 22 rounds. Those last 6 weeks seemed like 6 months if you were out of the running for the semis.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
any news on coaching movements for 2017? I'm led to believe that eastwood have axed the head coach after one season. Also Gordon coaches possibly moving to grade.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
any news on coaching movements for 2017? I'm led to believe that eastwood have axed the head coach after one season. Also Gordon coaches possibly moving to grade.

Also heard that Greg Marr has moved from 1st grade at the Rats to colts. Not sure if that's Colts 1 or as Colts Club coach.

Norfolk & Chance

Peter Burge (5)
John Manenti – Director of Rugby – has announced the coaching team for 2017.
1st grade: Stu Woodhouse, Jared Hodges Tim Donnelly
2nd Grade: Graeme Harrison, Andrew Clyne
3rd grade: John Carters, Andy Fairfull
4th Grade: Neil Tyler
Colts Coaching Coordinator: Ian Moyes
Colts 1: Mark Houston, James Walkely
Colts 2: Matt O’Connor
Colts 3: Gary Tunks, Jackson Unmack
Pre season training start next week – October 18 6.15 top oval TG Millner – all welcome

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
norths lose assistant coach, backs coach, 2s head coach. not sure where they are going. I believe the backs coach is now wix head coach colts. Maybe someone from wix can confirm.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wix haven't achieved much GF success in recent times across the grades, apart from 2015 Colts 1, despite what appears to be rather significant investment in and recruitment of players from outside the Eastern Suburbs/Randwick postcodes.

An adjustment to Coaching staff is the usual response from any Board in that situation.

The Shoremen have been playing some pretty good Colts footy across all three grades in recent times particularly when you consider that they have the skinniest roster of all 12 clubs, and very few former Aust Schoolboy RockStar recruits. Any club receiving former coaches from there will be getting a good bargain. A minor turnover/refresh of Coaching staff is often healthy for a club with a solid culture. It may not all be doom and gloom for the Shoremen.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Wix haven't achieved much GF success in recent times across the grades, apart from 2015 Colts 1, despite what appears to be rather significant investment in and recruitment of players from outside the Eastern Suburbs/Randwick postcodes.

An adjustment to Coaching staff is the usual response from any Board in that situation.

The Shoremen have been playing some pretty good Colts footy across all three grades in recent times particularly when you consider that they have the skinniest roster of all 12 clubs, and very few former Aust Schoolboy RockStar recruits. Any club receiving former coaches from there will be getting a good bargain. A minor turnover/refresh of Coaching staff is often healthy for a club with a solid culture. It may not all be doom and gloom for the Shoremen.
Uni won the colts1 grand final in 2015,together with 2nd & 3rd grades,so Randwick's "success" then is equivocal .

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ Bugger, I've got to go and fire up the Jarse-O-meter to check the details. Pretty sure Wix won a Colts 1 GF recently.

Must have been 2014.

2013 was the flooded oval where Uni played Manly.

Status
Not open for further replies.