• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I personally think Rays to date have had some of the best non super rugby performers (noting they have had bugger all super rugby players in their game 23 - only Jack Dempsey I think who is now out for the season).

Imagine how they would perform if they did have number of super rugby players like say BRC have in their side.....credit where it is due - given lack of super rugby players in their game 23 I think the Rays have done very well

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What to make of the Rays season, I reckon we did alright given;
Yes – I would have liked to stick with players from the Ray’s paddock’s only – I.e. not promised Hill a position.
Yes – I was frustrated to see some good players end up playing (& performing) with other NRC teams.
Yes – Townsend confused me quite a bit all round.

But with a team available that may have competed in the Super 15 – yeah i reckon we did okay. Imagine if we could have selected;
1. Peck Cowan
2. Elvis Taione / Josh Manrae
3. Scott Sio
4. Caderyn Neville / Matt Philip / Ed Gower
5. Hugh Pyle / Greg Petersen
6. Luke Jones
7. Michael Hooper
8. Cliffy Palu
9. Matt Lucas
10. Lane / Hodge – depending on game plan
11. Alex Northam
12. Hingano / Hodge – depending on game plan
13. Dennis Pili-Gaitau
14. Harry Jones
15. BJ Hartman

Rome Vaai,
Dave Poreki / Luke Holmes.
Mitch Lewis,
Scott Fardy / Jack Dempsey Harry Bergelin
Jordy Reid / Kotoni Ali
Josh Holmes / Tim Donlan,
Brian Sefiana,

In the NRC games that I got to see, I reckon it was up front we struggled. All of the above players are affiliated with Rays clubs (as well as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who is close to retirement), yeah I reckon the above team would have done okay.

But I like seeing some of the new kids on the block thrown in there to lift their game and get some exposure as well.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
But with a team available that may have competed in the Super 15 – yeah i reckon we did okay. Imagine if we could have selected;

3. Pat Sio

In the NRC games that I got to see, I reckon it was up front we struggled. All of the above players are affiliated with Rays clubs

Not sure if you actually mean Pat Sio, the Eastwood backrower, or someone else (I don't think Pat has ever played in the front row has he?)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Not sure if you actually mean Pat Sio, the Eastwood backrower, or someone else (I don't think Pat has ever played in the front row has he?)

Cheers - no he didn't you are right, thought he could pull off a Richard Harry and convert from side of scrum to front row.
I meant Scott Sio - Norths

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cheers - no he didn't you are right, thought he could pull off a Richard Harry and convert from side of scrum to front row.
I meant Scott Sio - Norths
I'm embarrassed to admit I had forgotten that Scott played with Norths at one stage. He was of course a West Harbour junior and played his early rep games as a rampaging number 8. So if Pat needed an example of someone who had made the transition from back row to front row, he need not look far.

Johnno40

Allen Oxlade (6)
Very disappointing display by the rays last night.One week ealier they can match it with a almost super15 side and then get rolled by a side that has not won a game.

Time for a change in the coaching roll , 2 years of poor results and the Rays need to find a player that can take controll of the game.The 10 for the rays lacks leadership.

If things stay the same you can expect the same results in 2016.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Very disappointing display by the rays last night.One week ealier they can match it with a almost super 15 side and then get rolled by a side that has not won a game.

Time for a change in the coaching roll , 2 years of poor results and the Rays need to find a player that can take controll of the game.The 10 for the rays lacks leadership.

If things stay the same you can expect the same results in 2016.

Coach - agree.
Other - do not agree.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hahaha..
I was almost going to comment something like
"You'll have Dave Beat onside with the coach comment, but do not dare bad mouth one of his marlin boys"

Pay that.

But I do think the balance etc would be so much different with a different coach.
We beat Spirit.
Hold the Vikings until the backs are played with Hill on / Reece back to 15.
Have had a number of strong second halves.

Jono made ref to the last 2 years, last year again there were quality players not played for reasons I'm only guessing the coach would no why. A number of those quality players are now carving it up overseas.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone going to the Rays v Qld Country game this weekend ? We currently don't have anyone to cover it for us.

Any interest?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
The Rays need to look at how they can use the Macquarie Uni alliance to attract most of the available schoolboy talent to the clubs in the catchment area.

Helping keep all 4 clubs juniors in the catchment would be a start as combined I think a side that covered those players would be pretty dominant within a few seasons.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Potential Rays side with the addition of Souths players...

1. O'Connor (Warringah)
2. Hilterbrand (Manly) or Holmes (Warringah)
3. Ta'avao (Norths) or Chubb (Souths)​
4. Hall (Manly)
5. Tufui (Souths)
6. Holloway (Souths)
7. Dempsey (Gordon) - Could add Doyle (Souths) to this backrow if Palu didn't play
8. Palu (Manly)
9. Donlan (Manly), Holmes (Warringah), Roos (Souths)
10. Lane (Manly), Saifoloi (Souths)
11. Woolf (Norths), Teki (Souths)
12. Holton (Manly), Iona (Warringah)
13. Pili - Gaitau (Manly)
14. Davis (Warringah), Hooper (Manly)
15. Jones (Warringah), Turner (Manly)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Potential Rays side with the addition of Souths players.

1. O'Connor (Warringah)
2. Hilterbrand (Manly) or Holmes (Warringah)
3. Ta'avao (Norths) or Chubb (Souths)​
4. Hall (Manly)
5. Tufui (Souths)
6. Holloway (Souths)
7. Dempsey (Gordon) - Could add Doyle (Souths) to this backrow if Palu didn't play
8. Palu (Manly)
9. Donlan (Manly), Holmes (Warringah), Roos (Souths)
10. Lane (Manly), Saifoloi (Souths)
11. Woolf (Norths), Teki (Souths)
12. Holton (Manly), Iona (Warringah)
13. Pili - Gaitau (Manly)
14. Davis (Warringah), Hooper (Manly)
15. Jones (Warringah), Turner (Manly)

Early one.
Id look at including Bergelen & Kotoni in the back row (some how).
Then there is Sam Ward who arrived back last week.
I prefer Turner on the wing.
Is Jones at Rays or the new Stars?
Id also throw Matt Lucas in as first choice 9.
All very very interesting.

Johnno40

Allen Oxlade (6)
A rumor over this side of the bridge is that ex MMM,s coach Phil Blake is looking for gig and is talking to clubs .surely its not the same coach as past 2 years

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Early one.
Id look at including Bergelen & Kotoni in the back row (some how).
Then there is Sam Ward who arrived back last week.
I prefer Turner on the wing.
Is Jones at Rays or the new Stars?
Id also throw Matt Lucas in as first choice 9.
All very very interesting.

Forgot about Lucas yes he would most probably be 9. Hopefully Jones re joins the Rays.

Going to be hard for Bergelin & Kotoni to get a starting gig I think Ward is more likely to get a gig if Palu didn't play which is always a massive chance. Although the back row could be shuffled to have Holloway come in at 8. Will be interesting to see if they will select Sevens players in the squad after the Olympics.

Johnno40

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would leave Donlan out all together and Lane as a back up ?
The shoreman are struggling week in week out and some new blood like Blake would help both clubs
Up front the Marlins front row look the goods ,then again they haven't played the red an black yet

Status
Not open for further replies.