• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting results again on the weekend. What on earth has happened to Briars and Hornsby. DIV 4 or a worse fait awaits them next year. DIV 2 talking point has to be Forest. Beaten in 1s, 2s and 3s by St Ives. Blue Mountains will be licking their lips awaiting Forests arrival at Lapstone this w/e.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Interesting results again on the weekend. What on earth has happened to Briars and Hornsby. DIV 4 or a worse fait awaits them next year. DIV 2 talking point has to be Forest. Beaten in 1s, 2s and 3s by St Ives. Blue Mountains will be licking their lips awaiting Forests arrival at Lapstone this w/e.

What has happened to Brothers? Havent they been near unbeatable over the last few years?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
My spies tell me Brothers have a very strong 1s & 2s and are developing a solid colts program. They ran into a red hot Newport who remain undefeated however Brothers did have a couple out on rep duties. They are still the team to be come finals time.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Couldn't believe the score when I saw it, didn't think Rouse Hill were going that badly this year. We'll be expecting a backlash on Saturday, whatever way the draws and wet weather have worked its our first away game this weekend.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Eh. You might get a few more numbers against you (as its their home game) but I doubt whether the quality will stand up. Harlequins were there a few weeks ago with about 20 players missing and still walloped them to nil.

I've seen a few Renegades matches this year running the flag (as an ex-player), and the fitness levels are generally appalling, the accuracy needs work, and overall its quite clear they're not training together because no-one understands their role clearly. Doesn't help when you have to change your lineup every week due to work or family / personal commitments too.

Redfield are fit and fast, so it doesn't matter if you can pulverise their scrum or they're not going to maul a lot of tries. If they can get the ball, they're going to find space, and hurt you.

It hurts me to see it like that at Rouse Hill, but the club's onfield performances in the first three years were propped up by talented imports, and there is little continuity. Now to field three grades they'll take anyone, so its not like there is a fight for positions.

I'd love to put the boots on to help out, but I have paid enough to the chiropractor over the years I reckon. And if the boys are happy to play together and have a beer afterwards, then that's ultimately what rugby is about. Not playing for sheepstations after all.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Will you make it out for a beer on Saturday? Had planned to stop into the Clock on my way to the game for a couple but our Ladies Day got the better of me and I just about made the Tahs.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)

For me the forest result stands out more than most. Something must be going on there. Saints hadn't won a game in 1's and were bottom of the table in 3's!

Newport looking great in 2nd Div 1st grade! Strange that their colts are on the slide again!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Will you make it out for a beer on Saturday? Had planned to stop into the Clock on my way to the game for a couple but our Ladies Day got the better of me and I just about made the Tahs.

Well you do love the pink champagne...

Saturday I'm booked - taking the family out to a GWS game because we got free tickets, and it starts before 2PM. Trying to get the boy interested in ANY type of sport at the moment.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Well you do love the pink champagne.

Saturday I'm booked - taking the family out to a GWS game because we got free tickets, and it starts before 2PM. Trying to get the boy interested in ANY type of sport at the moment.

Don't take him to any soccer match:eek:

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Breakers Colts going through rebuilding phase after the dream team premiership sides of 2012/13. BOBS look like they are hitting there straps and St Ives vs Hunters clash looks important if they are to pressure Forest or Blue Mountains for relegation to 3rd Div.

Po'sCock

Frank Row (1)
Fellas (and ladies) - I thought I'd pick your brains about getting involved in Subbies next year.

I've never played rugby before - apart from the odd game at school/on the beach etc. - but have watched it all my life (played soccer instead). I'll be moving back to Sydney next year. Is one of the lower grades of Subbies an appropriate comp in which to give playing a whack, or should I try and find a social team somewhere?

(Not sure if it makes a difference where I'm suited to playing - I'm early 20s, 6'3", built like an anorexic chopstick but trying to stack a bit of weight on. OK hands, OK boot, but not the quickest bloke around.)

Cheers for any suggestions.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Come down and play for Sydney Irish, we've got about 7 or 8 guys who were in a similar situation in February, but they got taught the basics and are now enjoying their rugby in 3rd grade.

Check out the website and feel free to ask if you have any questions. Wherever you're based in Sydney there'll be a club who'd be happy to have you no matter what your experience.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Fellas (and ladies) - I thought I'd pick your brains about getting involved in Subbies next year.

I've never played rugby before - apart from the odd game at school/on the beach etc. - but have watched it all my life (played soccer instead). I'll be moving back to Sydney next year. Is one of the lower grades of Subbies an appropriate comp in which to give playing a whack, or should I try and find a social team somewhere?

(Not sure if it makes a difference where I'm suited to playing - I'm early 20s, 6'3", built like an anorexic chopstick but trying to stack a bit of weight on. OK hands, OK boot, but not the quickest bloke around.)

Cheers for any suggestions.

Get involved mate, any club would be happy to have you (including mine, Kings Old Boys).

I would suggest picking a club based on where you live, as there are plenty around. Having a run around in the lowest grade is great fun, blokes of all shapes and sizes just there for the love of the game and a beer afterwards.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If your moving into the inner city - redfern, alexandria, etc. - the Dukes (Div 6) would welcome you with open arms - always a good game and good time at the Dukes

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Go watch a couple of games and get a feel for the culture. If they're a pretty happy lot and have a laugh together, as well as share the workload, then get involved.

My cynical advice: don't volunteer for everything straight away. Committees love a sucker with a bunch of free time ;)

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Go watch a couple of games and get a feel for the culture. If they're a pretty happy lot and have a laugh together, as well as share the workload, then get involved.

My cynical advice: don't volunteer for everything straight away. Committees love a sucker with a bunch of free time ;)
Mix the advice above from pfitzy with barbarians and you'll be right

Status
Not open for further replies.