• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Still a lot of moving parts but it looks likely that there will not be a Division 4 and 5 but only a division 4. This is the right move as it rewards those clubs who have been looking to expand over the last few years but have been restricted by the competition structure. Those Div 5 teams who don't move up will play Division 6 with an option of fielding a Halligans team.

They'll need to sort this out sharpish, the season is supposed to start in two and a half weeks!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Any trials played over the weekend?

Sydney Irish played Waverly in a 3 grade trial. We had 3 grades worth of backlines but some forwards had to double up. Didn't help that we were missing 5 of our first grade pack from last year with injuries. Thirds lost 3 tries to 1, seconds won 3 to nil and firsts lost 3 to 2.

bluegoldblue

Stan Wickham (3)
Brothers played hunters hill. Colts won 6 tries to 1. Brothers 1st grade had 10 players missing, not sure what the final score was but hunters were up 2 tries to none after the first 25 min third.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Brothers played hunters hill. Colts won 6 tries to 1. Brothers 1st grade had 10 players missing, not sure what the final score was but hunters were up 2 tries to none after the first 25 min third. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that 10 players who are coming back or 10 players no longer with the Club. That's one incredibly strong 1st grade side and it would be very hard to replace many of them?

HH are going to be a strong Club in div 2 and it's good to see they are working well in the trials. Can't wait for season kick-off.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Redfield took on Kings and Beecroft. Teams were fairly mixed but 1sts drew 10 all with Beecroft and defeated Kings 15 - 5 in 2nds.

It was far too hot for rugby!

Thought it was a pretty good day, with even matches across the board.

We (Kings) had plenty of new faces, which was great to see. When a few of our established 1st graders return I think we will have a pretty decent side, and good depth.

bluegoldblue

Stan Wickham (3)
Is that 10 players who are coming back or 10 players no longer with the Club. That's one incredibly strong 1st grade side and it would be very hard to replace many of them?

HH are going to be a strong Club in div 2 and it's good to see they are working well in the trials. Can't wait for season kick-off.

10 players who are coming back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
I know it is early days but anyone else get the feeling that player numbers are down across the board and the competitions might be a bit weaker this year?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I know it is early days but anyone else get the feeling that player numbers are down across the board and the competitions might be a bit weaker this year?

Having been involved with playing and running a club in the lower Divisions, I'm not surprised at the fluctuations. For example:

Disappointing to hear that St George have completely withdrawn from Subbies in 2014. An almighty fall given they won the 1st Grade Grand Final in Division last year. From 3 or 4 teams to none in the space of a few months is quite startling.

I assume that Redfield OB don't have a lot of Pacific Islander or Maori lads in their club :) Because I'm here to tell you St George had a shitload of Samoans and I know from experience that other clubs, particularly in the lower divisions, rise and fall quite quickly when your core strength comes from any of our well-tanned brothers from across the seas. For Islander/Maori guys, it can be as simple as following one of their better players to another club, or even the guys who provide the lift to the game. It isn't always about money.

On Grand Final Day 2010, 40 Renegades took the field in two grades. The next year only 10 of them came back to the club, mostly white guys, while our 2nd Grade Premier Samoans all went to the Emus to play 3s or 4s (mostly both, every week), and a lot of the Maori First Grade guys had been there three years and went to look for greener grass. Our record that year is hardly stellar, though at least we had one win in each grade...

The other big issue is volunteer burnout - everyone needs to chip in as well as paying their rego money, but some of the "stars" didn't see it that way because they didn't do that back home (cuz), and thought they were contributing enough through scoring tries as well as helping divest the pub of all that excess free beer.

Its great that some teams can come up and really show how its done, but for most clubs below Div 3 it is an immense struggle, particularly when you need to secure a council ground for half a day for a minority sport where they could get any number of soccer, loig, or AFL clubs

Ultimately, Subbies give zero fucks about you unless you're in a top Division or providing awesomeness - Tim Richards et al loved us in 2007 when our First Grade dominated the competition in the middle of a loig heartland. When the 2011 implosion happened they could not even fathom why - in four years we had 250 players registered, with new faces every year, but couldn't retain them despite the committee giving a lot of them free reign to do as they pleased while not contributing.

I sent them a long document with suggestions, but they've so far ignored it in favour of facing east and smiling at what they call progress.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Having been involved with playing and running a club in the lower Divisions, I'm not surprised at the fluctuations. For example:

I assume that Redfield OB don't have a lot of Pacific Islander or Maori lads in their club :) Because I'm here to tell you St George had a shitload of Samoans and I know from experience that other clubs, particularly in the lower divisions, rise and fall quite quickly when your core strength comes from any of our well-tanned brothers from across the seas. For Islander/Maori guys, it can be as simple as following one of their better players to another club, or even the guys who provide the lift to the game. It isn't always about money.

On Grand Final Day 2010, 40 Renegades took the field in two grades. The next year only 10 of them came back to the club, mostly white guys, while our 2nd Grade Premier Samoans all went to the Emus to play 3s or 4s (mostly both, every week), and a lot of the Maori First Grade guys had been there three years and went to look for greener grass. Our record that year is hardly stellar, though at least we had one win in each grade.

The other big issue is volunteer burnout - everyone needs to chip in as well as paying their rego money, but some of the "stars" didn't see it that way because they didn't do that back home (cuz), and thought they were contributing enough through scoring tries as well as helping divest the pub of all that excess free beer.

Its great that some teams can come up and really show how its done, but for most clubs below Div 3 it is an immense struggle, particularly when you need to secure a council ground for half a day for a minority sport where they could get any number of soccer, loig, or AFL clubs

Ultimately, Subbies give zero fucks about you unless you're in a top Division or providing awesomeness - Tim Richards et al loved us in 2007 when our First Grade dominated the competition in the middle of a loig heartland. When the 2011 implosion happened they could not even fathom why - in four years we had 250 players registered, with new faces every year, but couldn't retain them despite the committee giving a lot of them free reign to do as they pleased while not contributing.

I sent them a long document with suggestions, but they've so far ignored it in favour of facing east and smiling at what they call progress.

Don't disagree with that mate but I was more pointing towards a general trend of fewer players and smaller clubs. You only have to look at Div 1 and Div 2 last year to see the amount of forfeits in the lower grades. Whole clubs pulling out only further exacerbates that problem.

Player retention is an issue for all clubs. The move towards official amateurish should be welcome but there will certainly be some testing times ahead.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It needs restructuring. I work with one of the coaches from a First Div club, and we're of the opinion that any more than three grades is a waste, and there are top clubs who aren't fielding Colts, therefore:

1) Each club shall have no more than three grades + Colts contributing to their results.

2) Establish a proper Masters competition with a ten-man bench so the 4th/5th Grade guys have somewhere to play in future.

3) Divisions 1 and 2 MUST have a Colts team to prove they are growing the game and keeping their club development moving

4) The lowest Division will have three "Grades" but different clubs will fill spots (like in the country).

5) In the event the 11-man rule can't be met in the lowest grade, play a game of Tens rugby and have it count towards a result, rather than a forfeit.

Things like that.

Ultimately, playing on Saturday isn't going to help grow the game either, as longer working hours intrude on what was a particularly white collar pursuit.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
It needs restructuring. I work with one of the coaches from a First Div club, and we're of the opinion that any more than three grades is a waste, and there are top clubs who aren't fielding Colts, therefore:

1) Each club shall have no more than three grades + Colts contributing to their results.

2) Establish a proper Masters competition with a ten-man bench so the 4th/5th Grade guys have somewhere to play in future.

3) Divisions 1 and 2 MUST have a Colts team to prove they are growing the game and keeping their club development moving

4) The lowest Division will have three "Grades" but different clubs will fill spots (like in the country).

5) In the event the 11-man rule can't be met in the lowest grade, play a game of Tens rugby and have it count towards a result, rather than a forfeit.

Things like that.

Ultimately, playing on Saturday isn't going to help grow the game either, as longer working hours intrude on what was a particularly white collar pursuit.

I don't think there would be much of an appetite to move fixtures away from Saturday other than for U85KG or perhaps Halligans. Current structure is fine and should be much improved next year as all Divisions even out to 8 clubs.

Cactus Jack

Bob McCowan (2)
Have heard through the West Harbour grapevine that St Pats played a trial match against West’s on Saturday. Unsure about the lower grades but word is that the Pats 1st team got up 8 tries to 3 against West’s 2nd Grade team. Seems like the talent scouts at Pats have again “recruited” well. Looking forward to the amateur rule coming into effect next season……

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Division 4 is confirmed and the draws are up on the Subbies website, although I see that Rouse Hill have already withdrawn from 3rd grade. It will be interesting to see how the 3rd grade works out numbers wise.

Sydney Irish, Redfield OB, Sydney Convicts, Sydney Harlequins, Blacktown, Rouse Hill, Mac Uni, Canterbury

Status
Not open for further replies.