• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
I think some school associations play 5 minutes for Yellow Cards in the U13-U15's which are usually only 20 or 25 minute halves.
Hugh, you are correct in that observation, and not just schools comps - SJRU junior village rugby also has reduced time in the bin, which is why I don't think it is such a silly idea.

Difference being in Subbies is that you don't have to front to the Head of Sport after a Card, or get a detention as happens in some Schools.:)
Yes, unfortunately, it's often seen more as a badge of honour in some circles in the adult game...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's a nice idea MP (Moana Pasifika), but I can't see it happening.

You couldn't make it 5 minutes (too short), but 7 would be too complex for the refs who are battling to begin with at that level.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
True, @Barbarian. It is not as if there are a couple of hundred unpaid referee interns to help Sir manage the game, and keep time.

As @Pfitzy said, perhaps prevention is the best cure. Don't infringe.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It would be easier in finals because clubs finally accept they need ground marshalls etc.

But I saw a ref card three opponents at once for being repeatedly offside on their own tryline, then let them back on about 5 minutes later because they hassled the shit out of him

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
You couldn't make it 5 minutes (too short), but 7 would be too complex for the refs who are battling to begin with at that level.

If they can count to 10, they can count to 7. I don't think that's a valid reason. That's like saying all scores should be even numbers, or multiples of 5 or something, so they can remember them.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Generally players are well behaved in semis but amazingly there was an all in brawl in 2nd grades Forest vs Blue Mountains minor semi. Resulted in 3 red cards leaving 13 against 14 for most of the game and a 32-0 scoreline.

WillyO

Stan Wickham (3)
A 5 minute sin bin in 80 minute games would also be welcome, refs would be far more likely to use them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A question from someone on the AAGPS thread wanting a bit of info on Subbies Colts.

Perhaps one of the Subbies Regular posters may be able to answer better than me.

I am only mildy (if that) interested in what clubs 1st XV players are going to. I am more interested in see kids from the 3rds,4ths etc all the way down deciding to keep playing rugby and what the best options are.
What are subbies colts like ?

WillyO

Stan Wickham (3)
For those of you who love a Stat, St Patrick's Kentwell Cup Sides victory over Beecroft on Saturday was their 24th straight 1st Grade win at Hudson Park, quite a run.
That is outstanding. Any idea what the toughest home ground in subbies is - in terms of winning percentage and longest streak?

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
That is outstanding. Any idea what the toughest home ground in subbies is - in terms of winning percentage and longest streak?

Redfield OBs suffered their first home loss this year against Blacktown since 2009. Ended a streak a 40+ games.

Always found Maccabi's ground at Rose Bay a tough one to play at.

HorseSizedDuck

Peter Burge (5)
Redfield OBs suffered their first home loss this year against Blacktown since 2009. Ended a streak a 40+ games.

Always found Maccabi's ground at Rose Bay a tough one to play at.

Good to see my old club breaking records... if not there own players :|

They were the inaugural winners of the Cowboy cup which I'm proud to say I was apart off.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
I have just seen some images of the div 1 finals at Uni NSW from the weekend.
The early games were played in torrential rain and the ground was literally underwater.
Looked like some of the worst conditions played in.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Finals
1st - Brothers vs Hunters - my tip Hunters
2nds- Brothers vs Blue Mountains - my tip Mountains
Colts - BOBs vs UNSW - my tips BOBS
3rds - Blue Mountains vs UNSW - my tip Mountains
4ths - Hunters vs UNSW - my tip Hunters

Thoughts?[/quote]

Geez 1 from 5 in the tips department....must have been the heavy track!

Glad to see Brothers see off HH as for HH to have go on to win Barraclough after getting flogged by 50 in their first 6 games before undertaking some key 2nd round recruitment would have been a farce.

UNSW over BOBs in colts was a massive upset as was UNSW over Mountains in 3rds. Mountains lost 1 game all year and then went on to lose major semi and final to be bundled out in two weeks.

This weeks grand final tips
1st Newport vs Brothers - tip Newport
2nd Newport vs Mountains - tip Mountains
Colts Lindfield vs UNSW - tip Lindfield
3rds Lindfield vs UNSW - tip UNSW
4ths Newport vs UNSW - tip Newport

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Medal winners are interesting this year.

The guy playing for Newport must be a fucking gun - he got more than double the next nearest points!

Also 6th Division (Meldrum Medal) is going to be a tie. How do they work that out?

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Medal winners are interesting this year.

The guy playing for Newport must be a fucking gun - he got more than double the next nearest points!

Also 6th Division (Meldrum Medal) is going to be a tie. How do they work that out?

Where do you see the points tally for these medals?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ahhh... now that would be telling ;)

I figured it out a few years ago by looking at the Subbies page showing total tries/goals/penalties/totalpoints.

They don't publicly link the match points given by refs, but if you copy the web address for your own club of tries/goals/penalties/total you can quickly see the difference.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
I was told on Saturday that the Newport player has been ruled ineligible due to mid season suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.