• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
DIV 2 has there own version of Drummoyne and its called Oatley.

Reminds of when we cheered Blueys being promoted to Kentwell only to have Matto come in at the other end. Difference these days is the sanctions for repeat offences are somewhat better.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
Drummoyne received their 12th Red Card in Grand Final. That red card alone gave them a $6500 fine! So essentially they paid $6500 to play in a Grand Final and get flogged by 40 points. They were sent a letter in the week of the Grand Final saying if you get 1 more red card, don't expect to be in Div 1 next season. It only took them 10 minutes! The Board are meeting tonight so I hope they stand strong and boot them to Div 2. I remember a few years ago, my club received 4 red cards and we were absolutely sh!tting ourselves as the handbook states the maximum number is 6. To get 12 in one season is disgraceful!
A decision will also be made tonight on the number of teams in Div 1, options are 8,9 or 10 teams. Interesting times ahead.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
As you say that number of red cards is disgraceful but i don't know what will be achieved by sending them to Div 2.
That kind of behaviour is either cultural or procedural.
Meaning the D'moyne board/management tolerates and/or encourages activities that lets this happen.
It could player recruitment policies, it could be coaching etc etc.
What will change by sending them to Div 2?

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
They need to penalise them and relegation is the most powerful penalty the board have up their sleeve. The last team to be relegated for red cards was Dundas Valley and apparently they had less offences than Drummoyne had this year. I agree it is not fair to other clubs in Div 2 but I'm not sure what else they can do. The board knows that Drummoyne have plenty of cash so I wouldn't be surprised if they let them pay their way out.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
At the moment there is no 1st Div club being relegated to Div 2 as Campbelltown are going to the Illawarra comp and Beecroft are going down to Div 4 (although not officially confirmed.) So it would not be a huge shake up if Drummoyne went down. Without being able to pay their players next year they should lose most of their current 1st Grade side and they won't be as big of a threat.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Other problem with taking them down a Division, with the outdated structure Subbies insist on, it will be easier for them to drop a grade and spread their talent to get back up.

The bigger side is the money thing. Hopefully Subbies do something decent with the funds like talk to the Refs' association about some training and stipends.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Hopefully Subbies do something decent with the funds like talk to the Refs' association about some training and stipends.

IIRC the referees were low in numbers this season (some referees had to control several matches in one day).

Perhaps some recruitment of referees is in order?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'd actually like to get involved with refereeing, but my wife has threatened me bodily if I start spending every Saturday afternoon out of the house.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I'd actually like to get involved with refereeing, but my wife has threatened me bodily if I start spending every Saturday afternoon out of the house.

Go on.

Do it.

You only live once.

MTFU.

Some matches are in the morning - you know, before noon.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah but I'm so good at analysing rugby I'll be asked to do First Grade in pretty short order ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.