• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Some interesting stuff to come out of the team sheets so far.

Blue Mountains No 10 Danny Kroll..... Former Randwick 1st grade player?

Chad Maher at HAC - Didn't he win Kentwell with Pats in 2014?
The Borg brothers at HAC - They have played NSW subbies and haven't they played with Brothers in the past?

Large numbers of clubs have not completed their teamsheets!

HAC have strong connections with Deadwood Rugby who are a charity sevens/tens club. They are able to draw a lot of players from that connection, among others.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
How is the trial form looking? Does anyone know if Pierre Hola played for Hunters in the weekends trial against Forest and & Waverley?

There was a story in todays Gold Coast Bulletin, about Pierre Hola being the marquee recruit for Helensvale Hogs this year. Can't find the story on-line

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
There was a story in todays Gold Coast Bulletin, about Pierre Hola being the marquee recruit for Helensvale Hogs this year. Can't find the story on-line

No he is definately not playing with HH. HH vs Forest is my game of the round this weekend as Forest will be looking to bounce back from last weeks defeat at the hands of mountains. Other game of note is Breakers vs Waverley.......this game will give us an insight as to how Waverley are going to go in Div 2.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ran out of money?

First game of the year for us against Canterbury this week. Spent a few hours on Sunday helping to mark the ground.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Did you guys move to a new ground? As much as I enjoyed your hospitality I hated playing at Francesco Reserve. It was about 10 metres wide and played to your strengths big time.

Yeah I updated the maps page:

http://renegades.net.au/index.php?pageid=3

New ground is basically regulation - nearly 102m post-to-post, by about 67m wide (had to account for a fence on one side), and no fucking creek! In goals are 6m deep but there is a bit more room available.

Downsides: its a bit hard in the northeastern corner, and it has a cricket pitch over that way with turf on top of it for now.

Problem is, no real facilities to speak of. Council are kind of stiffing us at the moment with the promise of a new ground in the future.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Match of the Round in Div 3 has to be Epping v UWSH @ Sommerville Oval, can the cheque book chucker's of Div 3 HAC knock off the Proverbial 4th Place finishes of Epping

Div 2 MOTR has to be Forest v HH, big test for Forest who have reportedly lost a number of players after their successful season last year, good to see Colts being played under lights after 1st Grade

Div 1 MOTR for mine is Lindfield v Petersham, can the new boys of Div 1 compete with an established club like Petersham

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Also what's happened to Holdings Bits on a Friday Lunch Time?? Given Half of them were shit but what am I supposed to read at work now while im doing nothing

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Div 1 MOTR for mine is Lindfield v Petersham, can the new boys of Div 1 compete with an established club like Petersham

The Old Soldiers only have to share entire North Shore with Knox Old Boys for Div 1 - hopefully will have the depth to compete. Looking at 1st grade I was hoping to see some ex-Gordon guys.
397e599d-05cf-4024-b49c-bf5c0a94c8c1

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
This is some seriously grim reading:

The NSW Suburban Rugby competition lost another ten teams across five divisions. Subbies boasted a thriving 227 teams in 2005 but a decade on have dropped to 175 teams. Nearly 1000 subbies players stopped playing in NSW last year .
“We haven’t done any definitive studies on it but if we wanted to boil it down to one reason, it is the time factor,” said NSW Suburban Rugby competition manager Tim Richards.
“Running clubs and playing for clubs is a commitment and people are very time poor in Sydney.”
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/a...s/news-story/8845fc040d01ce82b395c90a8a444724

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Kings are forfeiting two grades this week. Dire straits.

I know Subbies is run on the smell of an oily rag, but already there are huge cracks showing in the comp this season.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Subbies has to accept that things cannot continue like this.

Oily rag or no, barb, there needs to be a bit of common sense.

We have some fabulously successful clubs moving up the ranks (take a bow, Tommy and Redfield), but many, MANY clubs in the lower divisions in particular struggling.

Sometimes its discipline. Somethings its the longstanding volunteers simply giving up because they've busted their arses and none of the new people contribute.

In the case of e.g. Merrylands and The Vales, discipline got them to a large degree. But there is also an issue where the demographic of an area changes, and it just isn't going to support rugby any more.

Quite often, unfortunately, its because of the transient nature of a lot of our Islander brothers. They move from club to club, depending on where they live, work, or even who has a car. I had a 2nd forward pack at training Wednesday night that I only met when I turned up. A lot of them will push for 1st Grade.

I don't plan for any of them to be around next year. Then again, I don't plan to be coaching next year either :)

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Kings are forfeiting two grades this week. Dire straits.

I know Subbies is run on the smell of an oily rag, but already there are huge cracks showing in the comp this season.

What a sad ending to a great club. Thrown on the scrap heap because subbies refuse to listen to clubs struggling around player numbers and insisting on teams per division from 25 years ago. Heads should roll for this as sadly KOBS won't be the last club by seasons end to be in that position. I reckon half Div 2 & Div 3 clubs will be forefeiting 4ths by seasons end due to lack of numbers. Asking players to back up week after week is just not sustainable.

3rd man in

Frank Nicholson (4)
Match of the Round in Div 3 has to be Epping v UWSH @ Sommerville Oval, can the cheque book chucker's of Div 3 HAC knock off the Proverbial 4th Place finishes of Epping

Div 2 MOTR has to be Forest v HH, big test for Forest who have reportedly lost a number of players after their successful season last year, good to see Colts being played under lights after 1st Grade

Rofl!!! Div 3 match of the round hac v epping?? U r kidding sv... this will be a cricket score for sure in hac favor

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What a sad ending to a great club. Thrown on the scrap heap because subbies refuse to listen to clubs struggling around player numbers and insisting on teams per division from 25 years ago. Heads should roll for this as sadly KOBS won't be the last club by seasons end to be in that position. I reckon half Div 2 & Div 3 clubs will be forefeiting 4ths by seasons end due to lack of numbers. Asking players to back up week after week is just not sustainable.

It's a compounding problem, because now blokes who normally play 3s and 4s are playing 2s and losing by cricket scores. Why would they want to put themselves in that situation every week?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Leads to injuries. Which leads to less players.

Status
Not open for further replies.