• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)
Waverley pay their 1st grade coach who also starts as tight head prop & was a former Welsh International so no it's not like the amateur rules are affecting them

I honestly can't say if Waverley pay the first grade coach / player. I'm no longer involved. However I'd be surprised.

However they are certainly paying non playing coaches / managers etc this year based on advertisements for roles.

This is a massive turn around from when I was involved, as we struggled to make ends meet each week.

As to Ben Evans. It is worth understanding how he became involved in the club. Essentially he was brought down by the first grade coach from a few years ago, as part of his package (as best I can work out). When that coach left, I would of assumed that Ben Evans left too. He didn't. He stayed, and outwardly seems to have really embraced the club, more so than if you were just looking at it from a payment perspective.

Waverely doesn't have a strong Old Boys, as such, as never really had a lot of money to splash on anything other than the essentials. Most of the fundraising I've been seeing has been focused around the Australian Sports Commission system, which cannot be pissed up against the wall paying coaches and players.

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)
Interesting how they used to be well known as a kiwi club - but I'm sure I didn't hear a single kiwi accent yesterday. They are now an English, Irish and Welsh club.

That really has been the case for a number of years... the backpackers / newcomers to Sydney really dominate things in Bondi, therefore the natural order of things is now Brits.

Waves is still trying to keep is proud Kiwi heritage.

As a "skip" even 10 years ago, I was one of the few Aussies.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
What's happening at Balmain? They are Still competive in Kentwell but are basically last in all other grades? Their colts who used to be red hot are stone motherless.

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
I honestly can't say if Waverley pay the first grade coach / player. I'm no longer involved. However I'd be surprised.

However they are certainly paying non playing coaches / managers etc this year based on advertisements for roles.

So they are paying other coaches & managers but the 1st grade coach isn't paid cause he wants a run at Tighthead in 1st grade?

Pullllleeeeaaaassseee! That'll do me!

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)

This is a massive turn around from when I was involved, as we struggled to make ends meet each week.

As to Ben Evans. It is worth understanding how he became involved in the club. Essentially he was brought down by the first grade coach from a few years ago, as part of his package (as best I can work out). When that coach left, I would of assumed that Ben Evans left too. He didn't. He stayed, and outwardly seems to have really embraced the club, more so than if you were just looking at it from a payment perspective.

Waverely doesn't have a strong Old Boys, as such, as never really had a lot of money to splash on anything other than the essentials. Most of the fundraising I've been seeing has been focused around the Australian Sports Commission system, which cannot be pissed up against the wall paying coaches and players.

Actually, if he wasn't living in Bondi (or close by), it is extremely likely that he would have landed at Epping.

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)
So they are paying other coaches & managers but the 1st grade coach isn't paid cause he wants a run at Tighthead in 1st grade?

Pullllleeeeaaaassseee! That'll do me!

Mate... that is a long bow to make.

While I can't talk for the current situation, from my time, I saw plenty of professional rugby players (most not ex Internationals though, but played in England and France) express and interest in coming to Australia and joining Waverley as part of their retirement plans, even when I said we can't pay them. Most were not interested in money, just transition to a different and better life. Everything I've seen of Ben Evans says the same.

grobbo

Stan Wickham (3)
I wonder if the "integrity commission" will have anything to say about oatley reportedly brining in parramatta eels prop junior paulo to their 3rd grade side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I wonder if the "integrity commission" will have anything to say about oatley reportedly brining in parramatta eels prop junior paulo to their 3rd grade side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How dumb are Oatley for not thinking someone would find out. Funny thing is he wouldnt have been the biggest bloke in the side! At least Subbies are in the news!!

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
is it really against the rules though? Like he is a professional athlete but it's for a different sport. Know it is a bit of a loop hole but would say Bernard Tomic turning out for Newport say get the same reaction?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
The issue is that he was not registered and they played him under someone else's name. What happened if he got red carded? Would Oatley have come forward or would they have sent in another player to face the music?

Every club no doubt has at some stage run someone out under a different name but never a high profile NRL player.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
is it really against the rules though? Like he is a professional athlete but it's for a different sport. Know it is a bit of a loop hole but would say Bernard Tomic turning out for Newport say get the same reaction?

It is certainly against the rules the play someone under a false name. They will use that rule to trigger a fine or loss of competition points.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
yea not questioning that part obviously against the rules. Just seems alot of people on social media are more worried about him being a pro rugby player rather than signing up under a false name

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Not sure what this means for Oatley...

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    420.2 KB · Views: 354

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
The issue is that he was not registered and they played him under someone else's name. What happened if he got red carded? Would Oatley have come forward or would they have sent in another player to face the music?

Every club no doubt has at some stage run someone out under a different name but never a high profile NRL player.

Wasn't Parramatta busted about 15 years ago running out John Hopoate in a 4th Grade game?

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
How dumb are Oatley for not thinking someone would find out. Funny thing is he wouldnt have been the biggest bloke in the side! At least Subbies are in the news!!

Mal Kafusi was suspended from Manly about 10 years ago, and was playing for Canterbury during his suspension.

It never made the news.

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
One of the best things I've heard being honest. Would like to know how he played.

Why was he doing it as a favour though, Oatley had a long bench for 3rd grade subbies!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.