• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Our scrum chewed up and spat out all before it last year, and to their credit, none of the teams took that soft option.

Should the team thats dominating the scrums also get 2 free subs?

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Bring back crouch, hold, engage by the way.

When props had hairy chests and backs were gay(they still are)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Bring back crouch, hold, engage by the way.

Too late - the education piece for scrums isn't there any more. I was giving my opponent tips on foot placement on the weekend DURING the babe, because I didn't want the scrum to collapse. In a full hit situation it would have been seriously dangerous

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Anyone know the rule around uncontested scrums? Newport were monstering BOBs in scrum leading 14-0 when BOBS went uncontested. Ref didn't make BOBs pack 8 in scrum so effectively there was no penalty. Final score a 14-14 draw and Newport apparently not very happy. My understanding is they should have had to pack 8 giving Newport a 7 vs 6 scenario in the backs?

Okay so you are talking about the 3rd grade(lowest grade in the division)!!!!

Do you want them to bring on the 1st grade props?

Think Newport need to grow a set!!!

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Okay so you are talking about the 3rd grade(lowest grade in the division)!!!!

Do you want them to bring on the 1st grade props?

Think Newport need to grow a set!!!

Settle Ozzie bob....this isnt about BOBS or Newport. Its about any team that go's uncontested should be forced to pack an 8 man scrum so the opposing team gets an advantage in the backs with a theoretical overlap. In this case they weren't made to.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I played First Grade loosehead for us on the weekend. The tighthead was older than me.

Blacktown had a guy playing tighthead for the second time ever, and one of their flankers at hooker. Their reserve THP was his first week back at the club - and I think that was a mercy call because he's a long-termer there.

There is a shortage of front rowers everywhere.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
I played First Grade loosehead for us on the weekend. The tighthead was older than me.

Blacktown had a guy playing tighthead for the second time ever, and one of their flankers at hooker. Their reserve THP was his first week back at the club - and I think that was a mercy call because he's a long-termer there.

There is a shortage of front rowers everywhere.

Old stagers who could dominate under the old rules but are a bit average with their work around the field would've retired given they're not as effective any longer.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I reckon there is still an option for dominance even without the "hit" - the older stagers among us never even had crouch-hold-engage! :)

The experience is worth more AFTER the hit.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Settle Ozzie bob..this isnt about BOBS or Newport. Its about any team that go's uncontested should be forced to pack an 8 man scrum so the opposing team gets an advantage in the backs with a theoretical overlap. In this case they weren't made to.

Yeah fair enough there shouldn't be a tactical advantage. I do see Newport had someone yellow carded late in the game so could have had something to do with it

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
I reckon there is still an option for dominance even without the "hit" - the older stagers among us never even had crouch-hold-engage! :)

The experience is worth more AFTER the hit.

I still believe the hit take so much out of the weaker side over the course of a game.

You could physically break down an opposition pack over the course of a game and dominate other areas like the ruck because they'd had enough.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Subbies Team looks pretty ordinary this year, cant see them bucking the trend against Country this year

the one to be omitted with be the Fijian 7 from Hunters Hill, from what I understand he ran from a distance and kicked a bloke in the head after a dangerous tackle of Saturday and realistically he should be suspended for a large portion of 2017 season if that is the case

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
from Hunters Hill, from what I understand he ran from a distance and kicked a bloke in the head after a dangerous tackle of Saturday and realistically he should be suspended for a large portion of 2017 season if that is the case
Considering people have been suspended for pushing & shoving this year, he should be gone for at least the rest of the season if what you've said is true.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Im Sure Seagull Butler can confirm the actions. Have also heard the tackle before hand was well and truly worthy of a red card. Id expect a fiery clash next time HAC and HH Collide

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
TIPS
DIV 1
Petersham v PATS- DEFERRED due to Rep Game
Balmain v Colleagues- Collegues to win by plenty hear
Mosman v Knox- Mosman too strong over Knox who look like they may be finding some mid season form
Waverley v Drummoyne- MOTR... Drummoyne In a close one, Waverley with a point to prove and its their ladies day

DIV 2
HAC v Hills- MOTR... 3rd v 4th both teams have showed they are teams that should be taken into account of after different results in their opening rounds. Going to say Hills by 10 out at College Oval
HH v Lindfield- DEFFERED Due to Rep Game
Forest v Mountains- This could be a blood Bath for poor old Forest. Plenty of Injuries and two of their main men selected in the Subbies Rep Team look out. Don't be surprised if we get a late Deferment.. If game Goes ahead Mountains by 30+
UNSW v Beecroft- UNSW should get the points in this, Beecroft aren't the same with out Andy Carrol who is probably finished now after a horrific knee injury a few weeks back UNSW by 15

DIV 3
Epping v Valley- the competition leaders Epping should win this one, but against Valley are traditionally close encounters
St Ives v BOBS- very close to MOTR, this is going to be real close, im going to say BOBS
Brothers v Redfield- Brothers got their first win on the weekend but cant see them knocking over the boys from Redfield watch out for the Burfitt Boys to feature heavily again in the points department
Newport v Iggies- MOTR- What a cracker this should be, Newport back out home will be tough, Iggies rising back to the old days, this is very close but I think Newport out home will take the points

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
DIVISION 4
BLACKTOWN v Sydney Harlequins - the visitors are down on numbers and will find it tough to overcome a Blacktown side with a couple of zippy backs.

CANTERBURY v Briars - the Berries are riding high after a win over competition favourites Oatley, and Briars won't have the firepower to win at Wills.

SYDNEY IRISH v Oatley - this is probably the game of the week. Oatley will be stinging after the home loss to Canterbury, but it may not be enough to overcome the Irish cohesion and fitness, even if they're been a bit hot n cold this year.

MACQUARIE UNI v ROUSE HILL - both sides struggling with injury and lack of personnel. Both sides propping up the bottom of the table. I'm going for a draw, and a lot of beers at The Great Northern afterwards, to celebrate the fortnight break.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Im Sure Seagull Butler can confirm the actions. Have also heard the tackle before hand was well and truly worthy of a red card. Id expect a fiery clash next time HAC and HH Collide

SubbiesVeteran - I don't know how good a witness I would be as I am usually about 30 metres behind play.
The tackle before was bad from where I was with our player landing on his head - still doesn't justify kicking no matter how bad. Our player was charged with kicking from the touch judge report, and the referee initially gave the red card to our fullback, who was nowhere near the play.

Last night, our bloke pleaded not guilty, and the judiciary gave the sanction as not proven. This is a player that we would never have believed would do it, he's said he didn't do it and he's pretty much the nicest bloke in the team.

Hopefully he and the other 3 of our boys have a cracker for subbies this weekend.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
SubbiesVeteran - I don't know how good a witness I would be as I am usually about 30 metres behind play.
The tackle before was bad from where I was with our player landing on his head - still doesn't justify kicking no matter how bad. Our player was charged with kicking from the touch judge report, and the referee initially gave the red card to our fullback, who was nowhere near the play.

Last night, our bloke pleaded not guilty, and the judiciary gave the sanction as not proven. This is a player that we would never have believed would do it, he's said he didn't do it and he's pretty much the nicest bloke in the team.

Hopefully he and the other 3 of our boys have a cracker for subbies this weekend.
Assume there was no video of the game done???

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Just heard HH invoking some obscure rule postponing first grade because of the guys they have in the Subbies Rep side.

Fine if it's in the rules but seriously, stuffing opposing Subbies clubs around because one club chose to nominate their players for rep duty.

Maybe clubs could request a postponement because they have a huge injury toll. At least they've not chosen to lose the players for a weekend. Perhaps the entire Colts rounds can be postponed whenever there's a music festival on.

Pretty poor form. But I guess just like the rest of Australian rugby, the administrators have no idea who their members are or what they are doing there. So much for "The Game for the Game Itself"

Status
Not open for further replies.