• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenceLover

Stan Wickham (3)
Maybe my post was misinterpreted but I do think that people like to play at nice grounds with fences and grandstands.

I agree! Here Here! This has been my point all along... Fences would surely be the start of a Subbies turn-around

why wont anyone listen to me, im lonely and just want to be loved.......

thecarterskid

Peter Burge (5)
Take a look at the Subbies annual report to look at the decline in clubs and players over the last 5 years.

Year Players Clubs Teams
2012 7024 56 207
2016 5614 49 170

I agree, subbies is working awesomely and why would you even consider something new when I'm happy just cross our fingers that it all works out.

Worth being blunt here, there is obviously broader issues in Rugby in AUS that filter into Subbies. Look at crowd attendance at Super Rugby, the passion from the general public is not there. This has a knock on effect.

I agree that conferences is an idea, but personally I dont like it and feel you would end up with an North Eastern conference that would dominate and in some other conferences you would have 1 or two teams that would run riot. Its good to float the idea but lets not put all our hopes on this as the saviour of the sport.

Two problems to solve:
1. How do we make the guys who are playing want to play next year and get more involved?
2. How do we get new people into playing the sport?
These questions have not changed in 5+ years

I really wish I had the magic bullet, the best we can do right now is work hard each week to get guys playing. Then start to look at 2018. There have been some good ideas out from NSW Rugby & Subbies HQ but let's be honest Subbies Admin is heavily understaffed and the ARU is doing less than nothing to help out

Hoggies

Bob McCowan (2)
Pfitzy, if i lived in Sydney again i would love to help you out brother. I admire your passion for your club and the game.

All I can do is get my recruitment drive in order earlier in the year, to try and get the juniors on board before the other codes snaffle them (I'm cheaper than everyone there).

From speaking to other clubs, and even the ref on the weekend, its pretty clear that people just have less time for rugby. Once upon a time the boys would be up for everything, but now there are weekends away, weddings (in winter FFS!) and other shit that is more important.

There is also the issue of coaching - had three coaches as of Round 1.

Round 1: Second Grade coach breaks his shoulder blade playing Second Grade
A few weeks later, the First Grade coach's wife got seriously ill, so he had to step aside.

So we promoted the Third Grade coach to be First Grade coach. He's very good, but had to head to the USA for a month after the mid-year break.

It has not been a year of brilliant circumstances.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Every-time I see this I worry about the mental weakness of people who can't handle an hours travel. Country rugby would be dead if everyone had this attitude.

And before anyone gives me shit about Hunters Hill being central, I live in Penrith and travel to Boronia Park 2/3 times a week.

The problem is alternatively I can go to soccer and league and ALL games will be played within 20 min drive from my house. Currently the closest game for me in subbies isn't even 20 min drive

country people are used to driving and do so out of neccessity because every sport is in the same position

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)
More importantly is a shower and maybe a bar. Otherwise I'm too busy playing.

Yes and no...

Everything else needs to be right for a crappy ground to be glossed over. A great ground helps (but equally can't gloss over crappy culture etc). Trust me, I was at Waverley when our training ground was #2 and terrible. It didn't help. It didn't help we were being belted every week in Div 1 with a toxic culture at the time.

Bernie

Allen Oxlade (6)
With all this talk of people's travel issues it's times like this when I reminisce about the good old days of Division 6 in 2015 when there were 18 sides basically split by the Harbour Bridge.
On the North side there were 10 teams,Chatswood, Collaroy, Dee Why, ICMS,Lane Cove, Manly Savers,Mosman,Roseville,Terry Hills and Wakehurst.
I basically had to walk out my front door and I was at half of the grounds.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The problem is alternatively I can go to soccer and league and ALL games will be played within 20 min drive from my house. Currently the closest game for me in subbies isn't even 20 min drive

Good point - Kellyville United play in Hills Football Association, which was formed after they got sick of travelling to Granville soccer games (or something).

Might help explain their popularity. Our Juniors are Parramatta so are restricted to basically the NW quadrant of Sydney.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
With all this talk of people's travel issues it's times like this when I reminisce about the good old days of Division 6 in 2015 when there were 18 sides basically split by the Harbour Bridge.
On the North side there were 10 teams,Chatswood, Collaroy, Dee Why, ICMS,Lane Cove, Manly Savers,Mosman,Roseville,Terry Hills and Wakehurst.
I basically had to walk out my front door and I was at half of the grounds.

Which club are you from?

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Getting in early.

Div 1
ST PATS vs Colleagues - Upset time at Hudson Park - Colleagues are a shell on previous sides.
KNOX vs Drummoyne - Very few teams go through the season without a loss.
Balmain vs PETERSHAM - Shammies by 2 trys
Waverley vs MOSMAN - Whales to enjoy the fences at Waverley oval.

Div 2
HILLS vs Beecroft - Hills will be happy to be back home and enjoy a step down in class.
HH vs Forest - yuck, will be cold and windy at Boronia. HH in a bruising one with plenty of niggle.
MOUNTAINS vs Lindfield - Old Soldier wont travel. Lapstone blood bath awaits.
HAC vs Unsw - About 20 bridges to far for Unsw.

Div 3
Brothers vs BOBS - BOBS to get the job down against the mercinaries.
Epping vs IGGIES - This will be a great game. IGGIEs against the turmoil. Looking forward to hearing about another coach/player Rams dust up.
HAWKESBURY vs Newport - Valley by plenty.
REDFIELD vs Saints - Will be very interested in results across the grades in this one with plenty of gossip about hillbilly clan feuds. Expect a Redfield victory even if they don't want it.

Hurlo

Allen Oxlade (6)
Div 2
Hills Over Beecroft - Will Wear Them Down.
HI Over Forest - Forest Have Improved But No Match For HH
Mountains Over LD - Not Even Close.
HAC V UNSW - NEW Are In Form But This Is A Step Up

Hurlo

Allen Oxlade (6)
Brothers Over Bob's - You Heard It Here First
Iggies Over Epping - Back To Form Last Week And Epping Teamshwet Appears Light.
Valley Over Newport - Travel
Redfield Over Saints MOTR - Saints Have The GO To Win And Thrashed Redfield Earlier. SAINTS By 20

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 1
St Pats v Colleagues - Agree Heavy this could be the upset of the round, Pats will be looking to get a few wins across the board to avoid relegation
Knox v Drummoyne - .Drummoyne will be too good here
Balmain v Petersham - Petersham by 3-4 Tries too classy, although can see Balmain making it a tough assignment with them trying to avoid relegation
Waverley v Mosman - Mosman in a close one, again Waverley will be looking to grab a few higher grade wins to stay clear of the drop zone

Div 2
Hills v Beecroft - Hills to get up at home, they'll be looking to get back on track after a few losses has pushed them out of 4
Hunters Hill v Forest - not sure why im saying this but im going to go with Forest, can sense them breaking HH streak, with players back I can see another twist in the div 2 surge for 4th Spot
Mountains v Lindfield - Mountains should win by comfortably, Lindfield will be smelling blood in the water after Mountains dropped their last 2 but cant see them dropping this one
HAC v Unsw - This will be interesting this one, UNSW have their tails up knocking off Hills and Mountains the past few weeks, but I cant see them matching it with HACs Fijian Flavour in the backline, best hope they have is to hope HAC have a few out in the pack and play tight. Going to say hac here but not by as much as people think

Div 3
Brothers v Bobs - Do or die now for Brothers must win this weekend and every weekend afterwards to sneak into the 4, im going to back them here as bobs notoriously don't travel the best
Epping v Iggies - Match of The Round across all divisions. Although there is so called "turmoil" in the Epping Ranks ill back them here to win at home in a very tight affair
Valley v Newport - Valley should win this, Newport wont travel and have the huge amount of injuries which wont help plus I think a lot of their efforts seem to going into 2s and 3s
Redfield v St Ives - Redfield to win this at home, should do it quite comfortably and widen the gap between 4th and 5th

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
After Brothers lost 89-20 away to BOBs in round one, if they can get the win at home that would be one hell of a turn around. Agree BOBs don't travel well, but did pick up the 'W' in their last away game against Iggies.

Div 1
St Pats v Colleagues - Agree Heavy this could be the upset of the round, Pats will be looking to get a few wins across the board to avoid relegation
Knox v Drummoyne - .Drummoyne will be too good here
Balmain v Petersham - Petersham by 3-4 Tries too classy, although can see Balmain making it a tough assignment with them trying to avoid relegation
Waverley v Mosman - Mosman in a close one, again Waverley will be looking to grab a few higher grade wins to stay clear of the drop zone

Div 2
Hills v Beecroft - Hills to get up at home, they'll be looking to get back on track after a few losses has pushed them out of 4
Hunters Hill v Forest - not sure why im saying this but im going to go with Forest, can sense them breaking HH streak, with players back I can see another twist in the div 2 surge for 4th Spot
Mountains v Lindfield - Mountains should win by comfortably, Lindfield will be smelling blood in the water after Mountains dropped their last 2 but cant see them dropping this one
HAC v Unsw - This will be interesting this one, UNSW have their tails up knocking off Hills and Mountains the past few weeks, but I cant see them matching it with HACs Fijian Flavour in the backline, best hope they have is to hope HAC have a few out in the pack and play tight. Going to say hac here but not by as much as people think

Div 3
Brothers v Bobs - Do or die now for Brothers must win this weekend and every weekend afterwards to sneak into the 4, im going to back them here as bobs notoriously don't travel the best
Epping v Iggies - Match of The Round across all divisions. Although there is so called "turmoil" in the Epping Ranks ill back them here to win at home in a very tight affair
Valley v Newport - Valley should win this, Newport wont travel and have the huge amount of injuries which wont help plus I think a lot of their efforts seem to going into 2s and 3s
Redfield v St Ives - Redfield to win this at home, should do it quite comfortably and widen the gap between 4th and 5th

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Div 1
St Pats v Colleagues - I'll take Colleagues to consolidate their spot in the top four.
Knox v Drummoyne - Drummoyne by 10
Balmain v Petersham - This is always a derby that both teams get up for. Petersham just look too good this year.
Waverley v Mosman - Mosman by 2-3 tries.

Div 2
Hills v Beecroft - Hills to throw the ball around, looking for the bonus point victory.
Hunters Hill v Forest - Hunters Hill here. If it was at Melwood, I'd back Forest, but at Boronia, I'll take Hunters.
Mountains v Lindfield - Mountains by alot, especially if Danny Kroll and big George are back.
HAC v Unsw - HAC are going to have to look into what is going on with the club and make some decisions. I'll take HAC to see off the challenge from UNSW.

Div 3
Brothers v Bobs - Brothers in first grade. BOBS to rack up 50-100 in all other grades.
Epping v Iggies - Match of The Round without a doubt. Iggies the only team to knock off the Rams, but I don't think they do it twice. Rams by 8.
Valley v Newport - Valley at McQuade are a tough ask, so I'll take the Valley boys.
Redfield v St Ives - I'd like to see if the 'turmoil' at Redfield is real, as I feel as though there are ghost on this forum talking alot of shit about the infighting going on within Division 3 clubs. Redfield in a canter - the Burfitt boys back to their best.

Div 4
Sydney Irish with the forfeit win over Rouse Hill.
Harlequins vs Canterbury - I think the Berries will be too tough for the Quins.
Oatley vs Mac Uni - Unless Mac Uni get an influx of players, this is going to be a tough road trip. Oatley by 60.
Blacktown vs Briars - Blacktown are hitting their straps and will be looking to go toe to toe with Oatley until their showdown. Blacktown with the BP.

Status
Not open for further replies.