• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Still doesn't make Wollongong any closer...

Depends on the options. I'm not endorsing or knocking whatever decision the club makes but traveling from Oatley to Richmond, Windsor, Turramurra, Newport. Is it that much different to Wollongong.
Oatley- Wollongong 54 mins
Oatley - Rouse Hill 57 mins
Oatley - Newport 1hr 3 mins
Oatley - Windsor 1 hr 6 mins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
What is the format for the divisions in 2017?

Is colts compulsory in Div 3 this year?

Have they reduced the number of open grades in any of the divisions?

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Depends on the options. I'm not endorsing or knocking whatever decision the club makes but traveling from Oatley to Richmond, Windsor, Turramurra, Newport. Is it that much different to Wollongong.

This is true but I guess that's as far as we are likely to travel, not the norm

I think perception also comes into it, we are an islander heavy club that doesn't travel well, turning around and saying Wollongong I'm guessing would scare a few people off, myself included.

No disrespect to the Wollongong comp but I think we also have enough old heads at the club who would see going to that comp as a bit of a downgrade, like I said we are an islander heavy club, 20 cuzzies rock up who didn't play last year (which isn't as outrageous as it sounds) and we are back in action again.

Oatley had some very successful junior teams around the mid 00's and a lot of those players will be looking to return to the club in the next 2-4 years once they've stopped playing at higher levels. Really looking forward to seeing that happen

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)

Oatley-Nowra 1hr 58 mins
Oatley-Vincentia 2hr 21 mins

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
What is the format for the divisions in 2017?

Is colts compulsory in Div 3 this year?

Have they reduced the number of open grades in any of the divisions?

3 Grades and Colts in Div 3 which is f#cking fantastic. I'm really looking forward to watching the Div 3 Colts comp.

Div 1 and 2 are 4 Grades + Colts.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No disrespect to the Wollongong comp but I think we also have enough old heads at the club who would see going to that comp as a bit of a downgrade, like I said we are an islander heavy club, 20 cuzzies rock up who didn't play last year (which isn't as outrageous as it sounds) and we are back in action again.

You'd be surprised. Talking to senior people at Campbelltown Harlequins, there is a fairly tough First Grade down there, and not a little money involved apparently.

But the travel... sheet... That would get tiring.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Rumours are still circulating that we got kicked out for this season/forever. So that's interesting, and weird.

In any case, I've asked Tim Richards if 5th Division is any chance of getting up this year. No idea what will happen with our numbers, starting tonight, but I want a fallback position.

Merrylands are back and asking for trials. Not sure what our trial schedule looks like at this point - again: numbers.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It is. But really, this kind of reformat needed to happen for ages. Fifth Grade is a bit of a joke, really. You'd be better getting clubs to shift Colts to U20, in line with National and International youth programs, and making sure clubs have a junior development program.

I was told Blacktown were going up to 3rd Division, but see now that the new format of 8 clubs per Div isn't going to allow that.

So shall we speculate on the makeup of 4th Division, hmm?

Adding Oatley to the following from last year gives us 8 teams:

Blacktown
Sydney Irish
Sydney Harlequins
Canterbury
Briars
Macquarie Uni*
Rouse Hill*

The last two I've flagged because I'm not sure about them at this point. The others all give the impression of being able to run out 3 Grades without issue.

That leaves Kings up in the air, and then a whole bunch of 6th Division teams who need to start thinking about growth. So who can come up?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Moving Colts to U20s would be a mistake IMO.

In my experience, Subbies clubs pick up a number of 20 year olds who come out of Grade colts because they aren't yet ready to play against full grown blokes.

And they want to have one more year with their school mates in a more relaxed setting, having been through the grind of grade footy for a few years.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So is having U21 and then U19 the answer?

I'm concerned for a club like ours - and those in the area - who can get a few juniors going but struggle to get the resources into the higher age brackets. Fair bit of attrition in the mid-teens from those I've spoken to.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
On another matter - does anyone know where I get hold of decent steel stakes for the sideline? Something like the attached.

We're using iron posts (star pickets) for rope at the moment, and I'm not a big fan.

stakes.jpg

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Moving Colts to U20s would be a mistake IMO.

In my experience, Subbies clubs pick up a number of 20 year olds who come out of Grade colts because they aren't yet ready to play against full grown blokes.

And they want to have one more year with their school mates in a more relaxed setting, having been through the grind of grade footy for a few years.

Interesting point. Is it a duty of Subbies to support the NSW rugby pathway or not. This affects some Shute Shield clubs massively namely my club Gordon but also a few others in the interest of making grade rugby as strong as possible it would make sense to change the age group to U20.

Maybe a case could be made that more players would give the game up potentially.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
I know that a lot of players who venture into Colts at Epping are either on their way to or from Eastwood Colts. The boys potentially have a group coming back that have finished Colts at Woods and still want to play together. These guys were the clubs Colts three years ago on their way into the grade Colts programs. It seems to be a bit of a trend at Epping - our Colts premiership team was made up in the same way.
I think it plays an essential role in keeping guys playing rugby. These guys have little to no interest in playing grade at this point. After the year though, some will go back to Eastwood, some will continue to play with Epping, some will retire way too early.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Pfitzy
Try Goodbuddy Sport (goodbuddy.com.au)
That's where our Jnrs / Snrs we have bought them from in the past.

Cheers
The Hound

rams

Stan Wickham (3)
On another matter - does anyone know where I get hold of decent steel stakes for the sideline? Something like the attached.

We're using iron posts (star pickets) for rope at the moment, and I'm not a big fan.

View attachment 8874

Goodbuddy sports have them. Goodbuddy.com.au pack of 20 crowd control stakes $170.00 including GST

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Is it a duty of Subbies to support the NSW rugby pathway or not. This affects some Shute Shield clubs massively namely my club Gordon but also a few others in the interest of making grade rugby as strong as possible it would make sense to change the age group to U20.

Not! SS, NSWRU and The ARU don't think Subbies has any role in the rugby pathway so why should Subbies compromise itself for their sake?

How on earth does kids going back to Subbies club effect the rugby pathway? If a kid wants to and believes they can play 1st grade SS then they'll stay at the Club. As I'm constantly reminded on the SS thread, Subbies caters to a different kind of player. Otherwise, how does bolstering Gordon's 3rd grade Colts influence the pathway?

Gordon's problems stem from previously appalling administration. Kudos for the changes they have made in recent years by the way. There are only 5 Subbies Clubs running a single Colts side in the Gordon catchment. 6 if you include Hornsby. However there are 8 Junior Clubs a 3 strong rugby schools (Knox, Barker, St Pius) that fall under Gordon's district. If Gordon can't get consistent Colt's teams together I think they need to look a little harder at why, rather than expecting and age change to fix the problem.

The interests of Grade Rugby might be served but it will do sweet FA for the rest of the rugby community, both Subbies or NRC

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting point. Is it a duty of Subbies to support the NSW rugby pathway or not. This affects some Shute Shield clubs massively namely my club Gordon but also a few others in the interest of making grade rugby as strong as possible it would make sense to change the age group to U20.

Maybe a case could be made that more players would give the game up potentially.

Absolutely not. Supporting Gordon's 4th Grade side is not a priority for Suburban rugby clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.