• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And so it came to pass, the thread was laid waste by the ramblings of a fool. Something, something, something - "hanging by a thread" I think, BB. Think hard about what you post next. I'll give you a hint - it probably ought not be along the lines of all that deleted rubbish.

Hurlo

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nobody is stopping you from doing it. Here, let me show you:

Rouse Hill v BRIARS - visitors win on forfeit.

(Note: Crying "discrimination" about something like this is, quite frankly, the act of a sook)

Please Explain???

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fear not, lads, we're playing two games this week ;)

As its going to get out there anyway, this is how it is:

We've been permitted by the Subbies Board to play only 2nd and 3rd Grade, and forfeit Firsts. This was after the mid-year Divisional meeting, where I used all my charm* and guile** to appeal to the better nature of the other clubs in 4th Division ;)

* begging
** pleading

Right off the bat, I'll say this: the aim is mostly to protect players at my club who are (majority) Third Grade quality. I can't have my 50yo Scottish prop up against these frigging monster packs in First Grade when i run short of front rowers.

The second aim is to prevent guys leaving the club on the back of repeat hidings every week. Its not great for morale - particularly the younger blokes who think they're invincible - and just leads to infighting and bad culture as guys start blaming each other.

To prevent opponents simply pushing back their Grades, the system is to rest 7 legit First Grade players for that week. Anyone else is allowed to play. In terms of quality of personnel we'll be a little up in some positions, and a little down in others.

Most clubs, I suspect, will name injured or otherwise absent players in the 7 required, giving them a chance to rest up or have a weekend off.

Some might not want to disrupt their lineups for 2s or 3s in order to keep their cohesion up.

Either way, the very important thing to note is that this occurs halfway through the year, so its basically an equal footing for all clubs. If we win a few games, its no different than if we switched our best players into Third Grade in an attempt to stack, and threw the lower quality players to the wolves.

I'm not that kind of President/arsehole.

The First Grade Coach at Oatley (who was at the mid-year meeting) said it would be great for his First Grade guys "because they never get to sit on the sideline drinking beer and cheering the boys on".

They will be the only club we've yet to face, and our catch-up game with them occurs two weeks after our Round 10 home fixture, so they can have a look at us and decide how hard they want to go at HV Evatt a fortnight later.

There is no requirement in the catchup game for them to rest players, in the interests of fairness. I doubt they'll need to, but we'll see.

Skinny Minny

Chris McKivat (8)
Pls tell me how a nice fence does not make a ground nicer to play on and make a ground more scenic.

Maybe if u r lucky Sommerville will get a fence one day
Maybe Somerville will get a fence... Epping will probably love a fence

My club don't have a fence either... perhaps Epping and my lads could get a discount if we buy 4th together

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A good common sense outcome from subbies and the other Div 4 clubs. Something that KOBS was unable to achieve last year.

I should add: Blacktown were not in the room. Not sure what they make of it, but given the humpings-to-nil they gave us a few weeks back, I don't think they'll have an issue.

thecarterskid

Peter Burge (5)
I should add: Blacktown were not in the room. Not sure what they make of it, but given the humpings-to-nil they gave us a few weeks back, I don't think they'll have an issue.
Good outcome Pfitzy! I'm a little surprised but also glad Subbies let that occur. At least your boys still get a run and at a level they should be/want to be playing at.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Pfitzy, you're a guru. Wanna speak to you about a pre season trial against the mudgee wombats next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bundaddy

Peter Burge (5)
Well done pfitzy and well done to Tim and beth and subbies for actually making a smart decision

If they keep rouse hill in 1st grade they may die and that is the end of the club. Hopefully. Now they are competitive and win some games and maybe charge to the finals. Hopefully other teams do not play 1st graders and r fair

Hurlo

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hurlo,

Very impressed by Iggies turn around this year, i thought it was going to be a tough year for you guys after the round one loss to HV but you guys have been very impressive since then.

Any particular reason for the turn around this year? More numbers? Improved spirit in the club? New committee? Just interested as I believe you guys should be a powerhouse being associated with such a strong rugby school.

The Round One Side That Lost To Valley Is A Little Different To The Side That Has Not Lost Since, Particularly In Key Positions. However I Am Also A Little Suprised By Our Success As Well. I Knew That We Would Improve And Thought We Would Feature In The Top 4 In A Few Grades And Maybe Push A 2nd Grade Premiership.

What's The Difference Though? Well For Starters The Reduction In Grades Has Been A Blessing For Us. Now We Do Not Have Guys Who Have To Back Up And Play 2 Games Every Week, We Can Field 3 Full Grades. This Also Keeps Guys Happier And More Likely To Be Available. I Also Believe That We Lost Some High Quality Clubs Which May Have Levelled The Playing Field.

We Have A Strong Link To Our School But We Still Lose The Best Ones To Premiership Rugby And Without Picking On Lane Cove, Have Actually Lost A Few To Them Over The Last Few Years!!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy I am honest but I think you should win a award for club person of the Year for suburban rugby

I am merely dealing with a shitty set of circumstances in the best way I can.

If that means I have to get Subbies to do a few things they've never done before, well so be it. The old ways assume a certain set of parameters, and we're not able to align to those parameters. Other clubs may need this in future, and maybe Subbies can start to think up alternatives for smaller clubs facing similar challenges.

One topic of discussion at the mid-year meeting was the relative strength of Division 4 right now. Irish, Canterbury, and Oatley would give most clubs a run for their money in the top grade. Its a major weakness of the Divisional system we have.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am merely dealing with a shitty set of circumstances in the best way I can.

If that means I have to get Subbies to do a few things they've never done before, well so be it. The old ways assume a certain set of parameters, and we're not able to align to those parameters. Other clubs may need this in future, and maybe Subbies can start to think up alternatives for smaller clubs facing similar challenges.

One topic of discussion at the mid-year meeting was the relative strength of Division 4 right now. Irish, Canterbury, and Oatley would give most clubs a run for their money in the top grade. Its a major weakness of the Divisional system we have.

Newport made the tough decision last year to drop a DIV (they weren't facing relegation) on the basis it is much better to control your descent and rebuild than hang on, ask players to play 2 games each week to make up the grades and then they get the shits and leave. The club then drops multiple DIV's and faces years in rebuild. For some clubs its a yearly battle for survival, for others their battle is how do I find a game for the clubs 6th grade team.

Birchgrove Bes

Frank Nicholson (4)
The thing is, without payment, I struggle to see the incentive for clubs to field high grade teams.

Why would you compete and risk injury against well drilled male mountains when you could drop two grades and dominate sides and take home the premiership.
I know what I'd find more appealing.

Perhaps that may be a reason why Epping hasn't tapped into the Japan market as per yesterday's conversation. The burden of becoming too strong? They are already toppling the table in threes.
Maybe they are avoiding twos where they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.