• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinny Minny

Chris McKivat (8)
Well done Rams. Will be line ball with Iggies for Div 3 club of the year.

Good luck everyone next week.
My understanding is that club of the year is determined by a few factors including: results, on field discipline, attendance at subbies meetings and training courses, paying bills and rego on time plus voting from each club (they vote on facilities, social aspects etc)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
What the hell happened with Mosman vs Knox yesterday. Mosman win firsts and seconds by a big score with Knox winning threes 118 - 0?????

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
What the hell happened with Mosman vs Knox yesterday. Mosman win firsts and seconds by a big score with Knox winning threes 118 - 0?????
Looking at some of the names in that team list, my guess it may have been Old Boys day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willmckenzie

Frank Row (1)
Big round coming up for Knox and St Pats respectively as they fight to avoid the bottom of the club championship. Knox have got a small head start on St Pats and my feeling is Knox will maintain there position at 7th. Interesting that someone mentioned Knox wouldn't mind a change of scenery in div 2. Whilst I don't think St Pats will want to drop given its history in div 1, it may not neccesarrly be the worse thing for them to go back a fix a few things. Never thought I'd ever see the day St Pats have 100 put on them at Hudson Park. Lot of lads backing up and playing in multiple grades rarely ends well.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Big round coming up for Knox and St Pats respectively as they fight to avoid the bottom of the club championship. Knox have got a small head start on St Pats and my feeling is Knox will maintain there position at 7th. Interesting that someone mentioned Knox wouldn't mind a change of scenery in div 2. Whilst I don't think St Pats will want to drop given its history in div 1, it may not neccesarrly be the worse thing for them to go back a fix a few things. Never thought I'd ever see the day St Pats have 100 put on them at Hudson Park. Lot of lads backing up and playing in multiple grades rarely ends well.

2nd Div won't be much easier for them.

Hurlo

Allen Oxlade (6)
Division 3 Tips For Next Week.

Clark Cup
Epping v Barker - I Expect Barker To Throw Everything At Epping, But I See Eppings Well Oiled Machine To Get Home.

Iggies v Brothers - Brothers Are The Team Noone Wants To Play. As Long As They Dont Bash Each Other Out Of It, I Say That The Winner Of This Will Go On To Win The Comp. Iggies By 1 (Hopefully).

Farrant Cup
Iggies v Newport - A Needle In A Haystack Will Separate These Two. Two Contradicting Styles As Newport Tried To Intimidate Us Out Of The Game Yesterday With Physicality, Though Iggies Have The Ability To Use The Space In The Field. Yesterdays Result Was Not Decided to The Final Play And Next Week I Feel Will Be The Same. Iggies By 7 As Our The Ability Of That Side To Score Points Means They Are Always A Threat.

Redfield v St Ives - Redfield By 30+. St Ives Are There To Make Up The Numbers.

Nicholson Cup
Redfield v Iggies - Redfield Have Gone 11 In A Row, With Ten Of Those Games A 25+ Point Win. They Beat Us 48 Nil A Month Ago, But We Had 10 Colts Out And Will Go Much Better This Time. Iggies Were The Last Team To Beat Redfield, So I Expect Redfield To Be Shocked At How Structured We Are And Strong Defensively We Can Be. With That, You Can Not Go Past What Redfield Have Done And How They Use The Football. Redfield By 7 (Hope I Am Wrong).

Barker v Epping - Epping Are A Fast Team And A Tough Unit Defensively And I Think They Will Hold Off Barker In An Upset. Epping by 8.

Campbell Cup
Epping v Newport - Having Played Both Recently, I Felt Newport Had More In Attack And Will Shock The Minor Premiers.

Iggies v Redfield - The Only Game Of The Day I Am Very Confident We Will Take The Steak. Iggies Have Come In Like A Wet Sail And I Expect Will Go Very Deep In The Finals.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hurlo some big calls there.

Heard The Farrant cup game yesterday went 5 minutes over time allowing Iggies a late try to snatch victory. With 3 or 4 stars returning for Newport they will be full of confidence going into the major? Will be a cracking game either way.

I think you are being very unkind to Saints. They pushed Iggies a couple of weeks ago and dispatched BOBs away in a must win game. They should get over Redfield but will depend on how many 1st graders drop down to meet them.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Hurlo some big calls there.

Heard The Farrant cup game yesterday went 5 minutes over time allowing Iggies a late try to snatch victory. With 3 or 4 stars returning for Newport they will be full of confidence going into the major? Will be a cracking game either way.

I think you are being very unkind to Saints. They pushed Iggies a couple of weeks ago and dispatched BOBs away in a must win game. They should get over Redfield but will depend on how many 1st graders drop down to meet them.

Redfield don't seem to do that as other clubs do. Redfield 2s will be their genuine team. I'm not 100% sure but their first grade season was cruelled by some injuries or unavailabilities. The 10 Pat Burfitt took a major knock to the knee against a Epping and didn't play in round 14. Neither did Seb Burfitt or the Wall boys.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Redfield don't seem to do that as other clubs do. Redfield 2s will be their genuine team. I'm not 100% sure but their first grade season was cruelled by some injuries or unavailabilities. The 10 Pat Burfitt took a major knock to the knee against a Epping and didn't play in round 14. Neither did Seb Burfitt or the Wall boys.

Will be interesting to see next weeks team sheets across the grades.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
This is the week when we see all the stacking claims come flying out.

Who will be first??

I've never understood how anyone that has played all year would willingly make way for a higher grade player come finals time. Yet it is guaranteed To happen.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
I've never understood how anyone that has played all year would willingly make way for a higher grade player come finals time. Yet it is guaranteed To happen.
"Willingly"?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Its just one of the reasons for player attrition - you were there all year when the club needed numbers. Now the coaches have big eyes for trophies, and you get bumped down, or shafted altogether.

Second Grade coach at a club with more than two grades is the worst position at any club IMHO. Expected to provide ready reserves for a First Grade coach who gives very few shits for your troubles. Have to explain to the Third Grade players (and occasionally their coach) why they're not good enough to crack your side - because of course Third Grade is holding them back!

Once they get to play with the other B side players their talents will naturally catapult them into First Grade glory straight away.

Then you get requests to put a player down occasionally to help Thirds and get bollocked for that, too.

Fuck coaching.

Skinny Minny

Chris McKivat (8)
Its just one of the reasons for player attrition - you were there all year when the club needed numbers. Now the coaches have big eyes for trophies, and you get bumped down, or shafted altogether.

Second Grade coach at a club with more than two grades is the worst position at any club IMHO. Expected to provide ready reserves for a First Grade coach who gives very few shits for your troubles. Have to explain to the Third Grade players (and occasionally their coach) why they're not good enough to crack your side - because of course Third Grade is holding them back!

Once they get to play with the other B side players their talents will naturally catapult them into First Grade glory straight away.

Then you get requests to put a player down occasionally to help Thirds and get bollocked for that, too.

Fuck coaching.
Ummmm it's called being part of a club

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Tell that to every other bastard.

I've been a Second Grade coach 3 times with differing head coaches. Always the same.
Good head coaches are difficult to find at subbies level. Even then, some lower grade coaches try to go rogue, changing things on the day while the head coach is focused on the 1st grade team.

Many coaches seem to not know/care how graded rugby is supposed to work

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yep. Trophy vision can be a right prick of a thing.

Club culture has to intervene there and I've got a good coach. In his first year he's already done his Foundation and Level 2 - for which the club covered the costs. He's got eyes on professional coaching but is a relentless self-improvement type, and his own biggest critic.

Now I need to find someone good for 2nd Grade to back him up, and get that partnership humming. With Managers.

Kiko

Bob McCowan (2)
Fascinating Finals series coming up in Kentwell Cup.

From a Shammies perspective the team I've been most impressed with so far is Colleagues. Best game of the year in the first round. Return match last week and Colleagues very unlucky to lose that game. Played with 13 for a bit,ref on their case and a try gone begging with a fumble over the line. Then I look in the results and see they've lost to Balmain. It's got me beat.

Petersham put 50 on Mosman but since then they've thrived including a defeat of Drummoyne. Drummoyne beat Petersham in the first round in a frustrating game for both teams. We'll know more about them next week.

Lots of contradictory results to keep a punter guessing. I think Petersham can win and are deserved favourites. But they can definitely be beaten. As it is today here is how I would frame a market. Bearing in mind with the finals format at least one of 1 or 2 on the ladder is guaranteed a start in the GF. That is a big advantage odds wise.

2.70 Petersham

3.20 Drummoyne

6.00 Colleagues

10.00 Mosman

Obviously the market is fluid. Could change a lot next week!!

Without doubt there is value in drummoyne @ $3.20 however the real question is where is the smart money at?

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Division 2 Semi Finals Prediction

1st Grade- Barraclough Cup

Semi Finals
Hunters Hill v UWSH- This game is going to hinge purely on the heat, UWSH are a massive side and I think if the heat kicks up again it will be their downfall. Hunters Hill to win it in the last 20
UNSW v Blue Mountains- The Uni boys have been the surprise packets this year, last time they met the Mountain men they destroyed them but it wont happen this time the big guns are back from Blueys and should do this comfortably. UNI will keep with them for 50-60mins then Kroll and Duncan will show their class

2nd Grade- Stockdale Cup

Semi Finals
Beecroft v Hunters Hill - This will be an interesting one, Hunters will have some of their top grade players down with a number players back from injury or suspension and Beecroft I would hazard a guess have qualified a few players to try and take home a 2nd Grade title, ill go Hunters here in a close one
Lindfield v Blue Mountains- Lindfield should win this pretty easily, not sure Mountains will have the depth being that their colts will have played the game before and their main men are in 1s

Colts- Robertson Cup

Semi Finals
Lindfield v Forest - The undefeated Lindfield side should win this one, but I expect this to be the Grand Final and Forest I think will knock them off either game for Forest Sake they will be hoping it will be in the big dance
UNSW v Blue Mountains- Blueys boys have been a bit of a surprise packet this year considering they started the year with the very bare minimum numbers and now will be vying for a chance to go deep in the finals, but this UNSW team is constant and should win comfortably

3rd Grade- Blunt Cup

Semi Finals
Hunters Hill v Hills - Hills are the only team to have beaten Hunters Hill this season and I think that will be some extra motivation for Hunters Hill and they will knock off Hills and enjoy the week off
Beecroft v Lindfield - this will be a tough encounter, im going to go with Lindfield in this one, they have momentum after knocking off Hills in the 2nd Last round

4th Grade- Richardson Cup

Semi Finals
Forest v Hills - Old rivals in this grade this should be another cracker. Last time they met Hills Smashed them at Melwood, think the men from Forest will put up a better showing but Hills seem to have to much experience
Hunters Hill v Lindfield - Hunters Hill will win this comfortably. Lindfield knocked off Hunters in the final round but I can see it happening again

Status
Not open for further replies.