• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 2 Elimination Finals Tips

Barraclough Cup 1st Grade

Hunters Hill v UNSW- What a very interesting game this will. The Team that has been the bench mark all year who were flat out dominated by a very big, mobile and quick HAC side and the team that nobody wants to play in UNSW, no matter what you do against UNSW they find away to stay in the game and pull of victories. This is will be close but I think Hunters Hill needed that Loss and it could have woken them up they also have Joel Brooks and their gun 7 back from suspension so look out

Stockdale Cup 2nd Grade

Hunters Hill v Lindfield- tale of 2 very different games last week, Lindfield couldn't put a foot wrong starving Mountains of Possession and playing to the conditions perfectly and winning by a very good margin on the other hand Hunters Hill were blown off the park by a very good Beecroft side who were prepared to run the ball from anywhere. Going on Momentum ill have to go with Lindfield here

Robertson Cup Colts

Forest v UNSW- This will be a cracker, Forest were totally outplayed by Lindfield last week but showed some promise, if they can sort out their scrum I think they will be UNSW who were pushed all the way by Mountains and only blew the score out late in the picture. Forest to go through

Blunt Cup 3rd Grade

Hills v Beecroft- Again another game in previous season fixtures that Hills have lost both and I think this will be the same the men from the Croft will be heading into next weeks Grand Finals with 2 Teams in. Beecroft by 8

Richardson Cup 4th Grade

Hills v Hunters Hill- Kick off the day with the defending back to back premier Hills looking to get to a 3rd consecutive final, the last 2 meetings between these 2 have seen Hunters Hill come out on top, this will be close I think Hills in a tight tussle

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Hey Nath

Do you reckon that you guys will get over Merrylands on Saturday in the Meldrum Final? They definitely play a very physical game.
Also what gives with the home ground advantage for Merrylands? Subbies web-site shows the game is to be played at their ground at Holyroyd..

RR

We're confident. Physical doesn't bother us. They caught us off guard they way they hit rucks in a 2nd wave a few weeks ago.

The subbies thing is disappointing. It's as if the game snuck up on them.

Apparently they were gonna decide the game via coin flip, I think we told them not to bother and we'd play there.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
3rd DIV

1st grade
Bobs vs IGGIES - Cant see anything but an Iggies victory here after the comprehensive drubbing Barker received at the hands of future 2017 premiers Epping.

2nd Grade
IGGIES vs Saints - A brave come from behind victory last start will give the Saints confidence but I think Newport and Iggies are in a different class. Saints will hang in but Iggies to classy in the end.

Colts
Bobs vs IGGIES - Hurlo is going to love me with all these selections but I think IGGIEs will win this one comfortably. Will be an enjoyable one to watch with both teams high on skill level, but Iggies will have to much in the forwards for Bobs.

3rd Grade
NEWPORT vs Iggies - This will be a high quality affair for a 3rd grade fixture and whilst the forward exchanges will be torrid, the Breakers with some players returning from injury could make the difference.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Yeah its a bit surprising. I'm pretty sure a lot of subbies clubs wpuld love to act as a neutral venue, and the potential extra cash it would bring.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I don't know how keen they'd be for a single game. Also, most people will be out at Davis Phillips or TG Milner watching their teams. And you'd need a field that can be fenced off.

It's good that our supporters can watch a finals game for free though.

En Gage

Frank Nicholson (4)
My tips for Div 3
this week.
1st grade
Bobs vs IGGIES
Although I don't read much into the effect the dominant rams victory had over Bobs (they are miles ahead of anyone else in Div 3 1st grade), I think that Iggies will have too much class in this one.
2nd Grade
Iggies vs SNIVES - Saints surprised me with their win last week, and being their clubs only hope this year could well pull off an upset win.
Colts
Bobs vs IGGIES
Iggies should have too much class in this one.
3rd Grade
NEWPORT vs Iggies
Too big, too strong and too fast.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 4 results at Wills Ground today - I was watching progress via fusesport while on my lounge with this shitty flu.

WALKER CUP (thirds) - Canterbury hammered Sydney Irish 41-0

GROSE CUP (seconds) - tight game where Canterbury seemed to take control before a red card allowed Oatley back in, but the home side held on.

McLEAN CUP (firsts) - bit of a seesaw, this one. Irish looked to be coming home on the back of a yellow card to one of the Berries replacements, before a late try sealed a 25-22 win

Grand finals will feature 1 v 2 at Wills next week. My picks in bold:

Walker Cup: Oatley v Canterbury - it'll be tight as Canterbury can reshuffle their numbers with open selection, while Oatley have to rely on the guys who won in week 1. I still think they'll have the talent to justify their 1st place finish.

Grose Cup: Sydney Irish v Canterbury - the tight win today will have given the runners-up some momentum. Playing at Wills I think they might get home on the back of some home ground support.

McLean Cup: Blacktown v Canterbury - Blacktown get the freedom of picking whoever they like, and won't mind the trip to Wills with a single goal: defending their title.

I honestly thought Oatley 1s would be there given some of their early form.

I also thought Blacktown would have faded a little this year. Clearly their coaching and structure has survived the loss of some talent, and they made all the finals, being competitive in the Club Championship while they were at it.

Next week should be great.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah its a bit surprising. I'm pretty sure a lot of subbies clubs wpuld love to act as a neutral venue, and the potential extra cash it would bring.

Hell yeah. If you have the facilities you can turn over a fair bit of cash. Especially if you don't have to worry about managing a team on the same day!

For the first time we had an actual canteen and on game day made some good profit on the back of simple things like available electricity!

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
Big year for the Shammies. Three grades into the GF and possibility of a fourth. Grand Final Day will be like Sydney Uni at their peak!!!

Hurlo

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well, Not The Day I Was Hoping For.

Our 1s Put In Their Worst Performance Of The Season. Trailing 22-5, We Finally Got Our Act Together To Level Back To 22-22, But Unfortunately Time Thats What It Finished, So We Were Made To Pay For 2 Losses To Hawkesbury Valley And As The Lower Ranked Team Barker Advance. Congratulations To Barker.

Our 2s Scrambled In Against A St Ives Team Who Had Put All Their Eggs Into A 2nd Grade Basket. Not Our Best Performance But Into The Grand Final.

Our 3s Had Their First Loss In Months To A Strong Newport Outfit. You Were Right HeavyD, Some Of The Players You Had "Returning From Injury" Really Strengthened Your Side.

Our Colts Are Also Through To The GF.

In The End, 2 Grand Finalists and 2 Third Place Finishes. When It All Settles, We Can Be Proud Of Where We Came From. The Club Could Have Folded 2 Years Ago. Hopefully We Can Win 1 Or 2 Premierships Next Week To Cap Off The Year.

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
Petersham v Drummoyne a very entertaining game. Early dominance by Drummoyne saw them skip out to a 12-0 lead. Petersham hit back scoring the next 24 points. Try by Drummoyne in the shadows of HT made it 27-26. Drummoyne still a hope in the 2nd half down 26-34 until two fairly soft tries to Petersham to take it out.

Petersham tight played well today. Strong effort. Tight five super impressive. George's kicking from the tee and for touch just outstanding. Our 9 really showed his class and physicality today. Wingers did well. Everyone played well.

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
Shammies have recruited their top 3 teams from overseas this year.

Completely different from last years teams which were also recruited.

Good on them but it makes a mockery of Subbies 4 import rule.

Why even have that rule if you're not going to enforce it.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Predictions
Clark Cup - Epping (defeating Iggies)
Farrant Cup - Newport (defeating Iggies)
Campbell Cup - Newport (Defeating Epping)
Colts - Iggies (Defeating BOBs)

My predictions from June 7.
Didn't see Redfield coming in Colts.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Well, Not The Day I Was Hoping For.

Our 1s Put In Their Worst Performance Of The Season. Trailing 22-5, We Finally Got Our Act Together To Level Back To 22-22, But Unfortunately Time Thats What It Finished, So We Were Made To Pay For 2 Losses To Hawkesbury Valley And As The Lower Ranked Team Barker Advance. Congratulations To Barker.

Our 2s Scrambled In Against A St Ives Team Who Had Put All Their Eggs Into A 2nd Grade Basket. Not Our Best Performance But Into The Grand Final.

Our 3s Had Their First Loss In Months To A Strong Newport Outfit. You Were Right HeavyD, Some Of The Players You Had "Returning From Injury" Really Strengthened Your Side.

Our Colts Are Also Through To The GF.

In The End, 2 Grand Finalists and 2 Third Place Finishes. When It All Settles, We Can Be Proud Of Where We Came From. The Club Could Have Folded 2 Years Ago. Hopefully We Can Win 1 Or 2 Premierships Next Week To Cap Off The Year.

Always easier for clubs in a couple of grades against clubs stretched thin in every grade. Breakers should go on with it and win both 2s and 3s next week.

laura.ainslie

Peter Burge (5)
What happened in the Meldrum Final yesterday at Holyroyd?

It was a pretty good game. Very close match with both teams pulling ahead at different stages, but Merrylands got up at the end 41-35. A bit was missed by the ref for both teams, but no ref can catch everything. 2 yellow cards for Merrylands and a yellow and a red for Engadine. A few pretty nasty injuries on Merrylands side. Unsure if any of the Engadine guys had any injuries.

I had a great chat with some of the Engadine officials before and after the game about how Subbies Rugby should be - going into a match with no preconceptions about the other side and just having a great game of rugby and a few beers after, as that's all anyone wants!! The bad blood between clubs shouldn't be there (between players or officials).

All up, I'm happy with how the day went. A few hiccups; which is to be expected when no neutral ground was sourced.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
It was a pretty good game. Very close match with both teams pulling ahead at different stages, but Merrylands got up at the end 41-35. A bit was missed by the ref for both teams, but no ref can catch everything. 2 yellow cards for Merrylands and a yellow and a red for Engadine. A few pretty nasty injuries on Merrylands side. Unsure if any of the Engadine guys had any injuries.

I had a great chat with some of the Engadine officials before and after the game about how Subbies Rugby should be - going into a match with no preconceptions about the other side and just having a great game of rugby and a few beers after, as that's all anyone wants!! The bad blood between clubs shouldn't be there (between players or officials).

All up, I'm happy with how the day went. A few hiccups; which is to be expected when no neutral ground was sourced.

Well done.

No bad blood on our side.

Just dirty at how we played.

I don't know what the ref saw with the red. But no excuses.

Fantastic game, one of the all times great prop tries from Merrylands, remember richard bands against the AB's, it was on that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.