• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
I'm still absolutely baffled that a club with their recent success can't find another 15-20 blokes champing at the bit to take on First Grade duties, while the guys who got them there can settle back into Second Grade after hitting their peak

If I had 4 Cups in the last 3 years (see below), as well as a Club Championship, I'd be riding that pony hard in order to recruit more players.

Of course, we won Noice Cup back in 2010 and fell apart the year after, so maybe I shouldn't crow too hard :)

2015 Noice Cup (Div 6 South) + Meldrum Cup (won playoff against Div 6 North)
2016 Meldrum Cup (Div 6)
2017 Jeffrey Cup (Div 5 First Grade) + David Swan Shield (Div 5 Club Champs)

Some of their guys are well and truly above subbies level. So some of them come and play a year(with their mates I'm guessing, or some other clever recruitment method) and go back to their 'career' afterwards.
Their 10 from 2 years was the 10 for Parramatta firsts last year, the 12 was the leading point scorer for the toyota cup u20's for the st george dragons. I don't think he backed up last year either.

They aren't a group that's stayed together for the 3 years, they've magically had these great players drop into their lap year after year.

Bernie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Some of their guys are well and truly above subbies level. So some of them come and play a year(with their mates I'm guessing, or some other clever recruitment method) and go back to their 'career' afterwards.
Their 10 from 2 years was the 10 for Parramatta firsts last year, the 12 was the leading point scorer for the toyota cup u20's for the st george dragons. I don't think he backed up last year either.

They aren't a group that's stayed together for the 3 years, they've magically had these great players drop into their lap year after year.

I recall one of there players from a few years back being called 'Rhino'. Discovered this after being trampled several times.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I can see why Lane Cove forfeited to them last year.

Going to be an interesting trip to Yarrawarrah in Round 2.

We've got a tough draw:

Savers at home
Menai away
Merrylands away

Those are probably the best teams in the comp as far as First Grade goes. We haven't even trained as a team yet!

Rugby Ref

Herbert Moran (7)
The game between Cronulla and Dundas Valley at Forshaw #2 (Division 6) was cancelled late last evening, not sure by whom... not a good start to the season for either team...

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Also really random question, are we able to register for more than one team so long as they aren’t in the same division?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Also really random question, are we able to register for more than one team so long as they aren’t in the same division?

Nope - definitely not in the same comp.

Also you technically shouldn't be registering even in different comps. Tho RA would love to count the extra numbers ;)

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Nope - definitely not in the same comp.

Also you technically shouldn't be registering even in different comps. Tho RA would love to count the extra numbers ;)

Sorry meant different comps not divisions.

Maybe they should look into it, know it would be very few people that would do it but may help a team or two out over the course of the year

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Strolled down to Roseville Chase to watch brothers and Bobs. Geez she was hot, tough way to start the season. Fairly good game but plenty of stop start with penalties. Bobs a much smaller side but appeared to have bigger engines. Brothers looked to have a fair few back from the side that dominated backend of last season. Bobs got the win with the Barker half’s dominating. Barker 8 probably best on ground. Brothers were willing right until the end. The brothers 12 and 14 looked dangerous when they got the ball. Final score 37-16.

Any other updates?

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Sorry meant different comps not divisions.

Maybe they should look into it, know it would be very few people that would do it but may help a team or two out over the course of the year

Can't happen, as soon as a side can't make the finals, their best 5 players suddenly appear in another team.

laura.ainslie

Peter Burge (5)
Division 5 - this is only a draft draw but I think it'll stick. Hard to judge any form at this stage:

Rouse Hill v Manly Savers - given we haven't trained for a month, and I have no idea who is showing up, I'll go with the visitors

Merrylands v Menai - these two will probably fight it out for top spot this year. Home side this time.

Maccabi v Lane Cove - the men from Rose Bay will probably look to consolidate some First Grade wins after stretching themselves to 2 Grades last year..

Convicts v Dukes - both clubs will field two grades, but I back the home side to get up.

Pretty spot on. Lane Cove got up to Maccabi though, 36-31.

Our match against Menai was tough, very patchy. Good numbers but not a lot of fitness on the paddock. Finished up 38-34 to us, but it could have been anyone’s game. We played better 1st Half, and Menai definitely played better 2nd Half.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Our match against Menai was tough, very patchy. Good numbers but not a lot of fitness on the paddock. Finished up 38-34 to us, but it could have been anyone’s game. We played better 1st Half, and Menai definitely played better 2nd Half.

Saw the score at halftime and you looked like you were caning them!

laura.ainslie

Peter Burge (5)
Saw the score at halftime and you looked like you were caning them!

Yep, first half was great, then the guys just dropped their game. We only scored once in the 2nd half, which was in the last two minutes.

The Menai guys were great, came back to our Pub also, which was a rarity last year!

How’d your match go?

whassaname

Bob McCowan (2)
Forest beat Mountains with a bonus point. The set piece was dominant, and in fact they kept Mountains tryless until the last 10 minutes. Great game of rugby - both teams looking fit with big packs and mobile backs who weren't afraid to back themselves. Always tough to win at Lapstone so good start for Forest.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Our game against Savers was fairly typical - they were younger overall and fitter, while we had a bit of size and a whole lot of experience.

They took a 19-0 lead into halftime, but we shot back with two quick tries to get it to 19-14 early in the second. When we held onto the ball we looked pretty good. They scored a couple of nice tries toward the end, and the score finished 33-14.

If a few of our "stars" showed up, and we actually had some training together, I'm pretty confident that was a home victory. As it is, great day of well-contested rugby and a few beers back at the pub.

Savers.png

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
Had a look at Shammies v Hunters trial. HH look to be in for a long season. Petersham not as strong as last year imo. Missing a bit of speed. The new pommie 10 kicks as good as last year's pommie 10 and probably a bit better in general play. The 9 and 7 (8 on his back today) again the dominant players though the 15 probably MOM. Actually now I consider it the hooker had an outstanding game as well. Haven't seen him for a while. Not sure if that's the top side out there today but if it is I wouldn't be taking short odds on Petersham going back to back.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting 3rd DiV results.

3 blow outs in 1st grade. Saints, Hawkes Valley and Breakers beaten well although Newport had a player red carded early which effectively ended the contest when the scores were 14-8.

Brothers lower grades appear to have picked up where they left off last season with 95-0 and 50-7 losses. Going to make it tough on their colts to back up and play 2nds each week.

Colts surprise result was Breakers winning well over last years premiers.

I’ll call it early but HAC will win 1st grade and go through the season undefeated.

Saints look

Status
Not open for further replies.