• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Can't happen, as soon as a side can't make the finals, their best 5 players suddenly appear in another team.

Jesus use some initiative, obviously you’d put some policies in place to stop stuff like that happening

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jesus use some initiative, obviously you’d put some policies in place to stop stuff like that happening

There are policies designed to stop that happening e.g. cutoff for registration in playing finals.

Of course, when you've got three types of ID that have your three different names on them, its easy to scoot around wherever you feel like playing that day.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Was looking at some team sheets and noticed 2 guys that trialled with us - who were part of the "pay by week" crew - are now over at another club. So pay by week clearly isn't what they wanted.

They played two grades each and lost both of them. Could have stayed with us and helped us do good things. Oh well.

The Real Big Bopper

Allen Oxlade (6)
Great numbers at Epping yesterday with over 100 players taking the field in gold and blue. 5th grade got in a halligans game against the Whales from Mosman then 5 grades against Beecroft. We took the bragging rights in colts, 3s, 2s and 1s with the crofties taking 4s. The number 10 in 4th grade for Beecroft certainly wouldn't have looked out of place in 1s or 2s and I imagine he'd be playing a higher grade next week.

The day was played in good spirits with some solid banter from the peanut gallery.

Great numbers at the pub from Beecroft too.

Great way to start the season.

How good is footy???

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
How good is footy???

Pretty good weekend overall I must say.

I am worried about next week tho: three key injuries yesterday might not come good. Two other guys are working. Got to go up against a massive side in Menai at their place, and I'm not sure we're going to come out of that unscathed.

Two Grades is looking unsustainable at this point, unless a heap of blokes come out of the woodwork.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)

Tell me how the policy works?

If you've got 2 teams, as soon as one looks a good thing and the other doesn't, you dump one.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
For southsider's benefit: There are a couple of policies in Subbies - the one I mentioned above i.e. must be registered for the club before a certain date (usually about 4-5 weeks before finals)

The second policy is about qualification for finals, which is only relevant when you have more than one Grade. Majority of the last 7 matches are what qualifies you for that Grade or higher BUT starting is more valid than bench.

If you start 2nds and bench 1st for every week of the season, you're 2nd Grade or higher.
If you bench both grades the whole season, you're First Grade only.

Of course, you have other situations where a Premier Club's lower grades might be copping a flogging, and suddenly a Subbies club nearby will have a frightfully good run home in the last month and maybe even win a trophy.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Should add: it follows that you must have played at least ONE game for the club to get a qualifying grade :)

Also: Subbies amateur rules have restrictions on how long you have to have been out of the semi/pro game. If you've been playing above a certain level in the last 12 months, chances are you'll need a dispensation from Subbies.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Pretty pleased with BOBs start to the season. 50th anniversary season for us this year so I hope they will have a good year.

Bobs have Saints next which is always a good local derby but then we have a double road trip to Iggies and HAC. Good to get these tough two trips out of the way early as I am sure the first grade games are going to be tough ones!

Well done to Epping on their strong start to the season in the new division!

Two interesting results i noticed came from colts over the weekend. Lindfield undefeated premiers last season lost first up to UNSW (They normally have a strong colts team) and last years 3rd div colts premiers Redfield going down to Newport.

Apart from Dundas in Div 6 did we get through the round with no forfeits?

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bobs looking reasonable with passable depth. Im told newport are the threat this year. They seem quite confident going by the local media.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Bobs looking reasonable with passable depth. Im told newport are the threat this year. They seem quite confident going by the local media.

It would appear given they were beaten 52-18 you don't believe everything you read in the newspaper.

Subbies_Bloke

Frank Row (1)
Some interesting results in Div 2 in Round 1

- UNSW 32- Lindfield 31. looks like UNSW picking up the form they took marching into last years finals series to scrape home past the old soldiers

- Hills 38 - St Patrick's 14. Looks like this was definitely the surprise of the round, looks like last years 1st Div team must have lost some players. That or Hills young first grade team of the last couple of years are finally clicking and producing the goods.

- Forest 27 - Blue Mountains 15. Strong start from the boys in green. Must have had some good numbers travel up the M4, did not see this one coming. although it is always a great fixture each year.

Epping 26 - Beecroft 24. Div 2's new boys on the block off to a winning start. Beecroft must have put them to the sword by the looks of it. be interesting to see how the season will turn out for the Rams. Hearing good things out of Sommerville.

So Round 2 this weekend looks like:

Lindfield vs St Patrick's - Lindfield by 2
Beecroft vs Blue Mountains - Mountains bounce back and win by millions
Hills vs UNSW - Close one im predicting could go either way. Backing Hills by 7
Forest vs Epping - The Green Machine to keep rolling this weekend, the new boys to taste their first defeat of 2018

Would like to hear your thoughts out there? am I right am I wrong? show me the banter

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 2 Round 2 Predictions

Lindfield v St Pats- Lindfield went close in round 1 and will be looking to make amends in their first home round. St Pats were last years Kentwell Cup wooden spooners and have lost a couple of the dominant players from that side. There 1st Grade woes I think will continue on Saturday. Lindfield by 10.

Beecroft v Blue Mountains- predicting a close one. Hoping that Beecroft can step up and prove to the comp they are going to be a contender in 1st Grade this year but think Blue Mountains will be too strong on the day. Blue Mountains by 2.

Hills v UNSW- Hills to continue there good form after an impressive late surge v St Pats. Long way for UNSW to travel out to Yattenden. Hills by 7.

Forest v Epping- Epping to continue there premiership winning form this week and knock over Forest in the match of the round. Epping by 1.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Lindfield had 7 debutantes in the 1st grade team last weekend - could be another frustrating year in 1sts for a club that has good depth but lacks certain key ingredients (rugby tourists and islanders).

PS At least 5 of the 7 were colts or lower grades last year.

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Lindfield had 7 debutantes in the 1st grade team last weekend - could be another frustrating year in 1sts for a club that has good depth but lacks certain key ingredients (rugby tourists and islanders).

St Pats demise has come on the back of losing those 'certain ingredients'.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division Four:

Briars v BYE - will be licking their wounds after a tough day at Latham Park last week

Blacktown v Sydney Irish - think the home side will go up a gear from their defeat at Canterbury and overpower the men in green.

Mac Uni v Oatley - first game of the year for the Beacons but Oatlery will be stinging from the defeat to 'Quins.

Sydney Harlequins v Canterbury - the Berries are not travelling far, and they'll be formidable in all three grades.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division Five:

Lane Cove v Sydney Convicts - Convicts absolutely towelled Dukes last week, but Lane Cove won away against Maccabi despite 3 Yellow cards. This one will be interesting. Home side favouritism for both Grades leans toward Covies.

Alexandria Dukes v Maccabi - could be another close one with Dukes' 2nd Grade having the week off. Still betting on sky blue and white tho.

Manly Savers v Merrylands - Merrylands will be finals contenders, while Savers look to have hit a bit of a lull even with a 33-14 over Rouse Hill last week. They're missing some players from their finals campaign last year, though their fitness and technique will serve them well.

Menai v Rouse Hill - I've been hassling guys all week, and got a couple of new faces at training last night. Still, it would take a mighty effort for us to get within cooee of these blokes at home. Menai and Merrylands will probably fight it out for the Jeffrey Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.