• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Looks like same names who played 1st grade in round 1 are still playing in round 13. Not sure how that can be considered a stack?
Jeez.. you would've thought there'd be some improvement in that time.. does the coach have the "full support of the board"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Year Of

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looks like same names who played 1st grade in round 1 are still playing in round 13. Not sure how that can be considered a stack?

I can understand your mix up.

You mistakenly looked at the round 13 2nd grade side and found the round 1 1st grade team!

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I can understand your mix up.

You mistakenly looked at the round 13 2nd grade side and found the round 1 1st grade team!

Your right. There is two players from 1st grade round 1 team that have played in 2nd grade round 13 four months later. The stack is on!!!!!

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Interesting week for club champs results.

If you were subbies would you make Sydney Irish or Canterbury come up at the expense of Saints? Saints have had a couple of tough years and it might help them in the short term to be able to drop colts and go down a division. However are Irish or Canterbury capable of fielding a colts team? Canterbury most likely as they have juniors, however they didnt take promotion this year. Also if Saints drop into div 4 they will be subject to far more travel (Oatley, Blacktown, Quins etc) and the local derby would be against Mac Uni. Plus would dropping colts stops Saints being able to rebuild by attracting younger players?

Also would you be looking to push Merrylands up into Div 4. It would be a great achievement for them to grow to 3 teams in 3 seasons. Not sure how they would feel about that. Briars and Mac Uni haven't had terrible seasons so both might want to stay where they are.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting week for club champs results.

If you were subbies would you make Sydney Irish or Canterbury come up at the expense of Saints? Saints have had a couple of tough years and it might help them in the short term to be able to drop colts and go down a division. However are Irish or Canterbury capable of fielding a colts team? Canterbury most likely as they have juniors, however they didnt take promotion this year. Also if Saints drop into div 4 they will be subject to far more travel (Oatley, Blacktown, Quins etc) and the local derby would be against Mac Uni. Plus would dropping colts stops Saints being able to rebuild by attracting younger players?

Also would you be looking to push Merrylands up into Div 4. It would be a great achievement for them to grow to 3 teams in 3 seasons. Not sure how they would feel about that. Briars and Mac Uni haven't had terrible seasons so both might want to stay where they are.

The wording on it in the subbies ops manual is pretty ambiguous. Whilst promotion/relegation from Divs 1 & 2 is stated as a "will" (as is the winner of Div 3 Club Champs), the club finish last in Div 3 "may be liable" to be relegated. Basically I read that as, "if there is no one suitable to come up, you might not be relegated". I can't imagine Subbies would want a 7-team Div 3.

Looking at Div 4, the only Clubs that could reliably claim to be able to field colts next year are Briars & Oatley (both fielded Radford Cup this year). Both of these clubs are pretty low down on the Div 4 club champs.

Quite a concerning situation...

The Real Big Bopper

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think the change to mandatory colts last year in div 3 has hurt clubs.

Making the lower grades play earlier in the morning (when they hadn't been) may have seen a few older heads give the game away... especially the dads with kids playing sport early on Sat mornings

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Don't think Irish could field Colts. They've got high turnover and rely on guys coming over for work in the main.

Oatley look like they're falling apart in First Grade, with their Third Grade side attached due to players who can't/won't train.

I'd back Canterbury to move up and do it well. Good culture, lot of talent BUT will it make Third Grade too tough due to that early start mentioned above?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
If Penrith come into Subbies next year which DIV do they fall into?

Its a massive IF and would have significant implications for Mountains, HAC and Brothers.

Based on this year St Ives and Brothers would move down to Div 4 and make way for Penrith and relegated Beecroft.
Both bravely tried to field four sides before forefeits and 100-0 scorelines ensued. Brothers would be impacted if the Penrith scenario plays out above as they were heading for armageddon until the Emus folded. I could see St Ives volunteering for DIV 5 to rebuild with two teams.

You cannot field teams without players, and sadly each year there are less and less players out there willingly to commit to a season of rugby.

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)

Its a massive IF and would have significant implications for Mountains, HAC and Brothers.

Based on this year St Ives and Brothers would move down to Div 4 and make way for Penrith and relegated Beecroft.
Both bravely tried to field four sides before forefeits and 100-0 scorelines ensued. Brothers would be impacted if the Penrith scenario plays out above as they were heading for armageddon until the Emus folded. I could see St Ives volunteering for DIV 5 to rebuild with two teams.

You cannot field teams without players, and sadly each year there are less and less players out there willingly to commit to a season of rugby.

Forgive me if I have missed something over the past few months but is the Penrith subbies team a genuine prospect or is it speculative?

I haven't looked at the Shute Shield forum or anything like that. It certainly would be a interesting prospect and as far as what division they'd be in I think you'd have to leave to as late as possible to see what they can conjure in a preseason. Not sure whether subbies would be willing to leave all other clubs in limbo for that long.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)

I'd hardly call a 2 & 2 start "Armageddon" We won the same amount of games in our first four weeks as you pelicans have all year. I've played first grade for brothers all year and can confirm our club picked up 3 players after Penrith folded. This wasn't even through our club seeking them out whatsoever, but rather through an ex brothers player who was playing lower grades at Penrith and sent a few boys our way after their collapse.
We'll be sure to take a leaf out of the Newport book for next year and meekly surrender in first grade so we can become lower grade bullies.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'd hardly call a 2 & 2 start "Armageddon" We won the same amount of games in our first four weeks as you pelicans have all year. I've played first grade for brothers all year and can confirm our club picked up 3 players after Penrith folded. This wasn't even through our club seeking them out whatsoever, but rather through an ex brothers player who was playing lower grades at Penrith and sent a few boys our way after their collapse.
We'll be sure to take a leaf out of the Newport book for next year and meekly surrender in first grade so we can become lower grade bullies.

You sure have a bee in your bonnet about Newport. It is my understanding that the Newport club are proudly amateur and rely on local juniors to fill their player ranks. With the smallest forward pack in the comp and a limited backline they have never stopped trying and looking at results should of won 4 or 5 more games which would have them vying for a semi berth.

My Armageddon reference was to the overall clubs performance and clear lack of numbers. Forefeiting 2 from 4 in 3s and 2nds humiliated 95-0, 55-7 43-7 and 46-17 in the first four rounds didnt look like the dream start. 1st grade results mean nothing when it falls on a clubs colts to do the heavy lifting of backing up and turning out early because the other higher graders don’t believe it’s their problem.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
If only we could all be as virtuous as the shining beacon of morality that is Newport Rugby Club.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Anyway, back on to actual Subbies: looks like Convicts conceded the win to Dukes on their postponed match, and therefore drop out of the finals. That means the finals match ups are decided, regardless of the results this weekend.

58 Menai
54 Merrylands
43 Lane Cove
39 Manly Savers
32 Sydney Convicts
24 Maccabi
9 Rouse Hill
5 Alexandria Dukes

ROUND 14
Maccabi v Menai - I think given the home side's injury list, Menai will finish top of the table and take the Minor Premiership.

Lane Cove v Merrylands - the Wolves will find Covies a tough ask at Tantallon, after trailing for long parts of their Round 7 fixture. But they'll also be hungry to take some form into the finals, and the Club Championship with it.

Convicts v Savers - the wind is well and truly out of the Convicts' sails, their Bingham Cup wins seeming to derail the entire season. Shame really as I fancied them capable of upsetting Menai and Merrylands.

Dukes v Renegades - in what is undoubtedly the match of the round, the Renegades will take a bus over to Dukes for their charity day, followed by a touch of Mad Monday On Saturday to close out the season at the Captain Cook. On the line is 7th place, and avoidance of the spoon.

But the beer and karaoke is the most important thing.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Should have added: congratulations to Merrylands Wolves who are David Swan Shield recipients as Division 5 Champions.

DIVISION 4

McLean Cup Finalists are decided with 2 rounds to go. Only possible change here is Harlequins might slip into 2nd above Canterbury if they win their last 2 games (Round 16 is Quins v Berries), to get the all important second bite of the cherry.

Oatley v Sydney Harlequins - backing the Quins away from home.

Irish v Briars - the home side are looking like Minor Premiers and will be hoping the Berries trip up so they can grab the Championship as well.

Canterbury v Blacktown - this will be a fierce contest, but I back the Berries at home.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 6

Top four - and the finals matches - already decided.

Dee Why v Chatswood - last throw of the dice for both sides. Chatswood have finished the season strongly, and would like to give themselves every change to get into 5th spot ahead of Wakehurst.

Burraneer v Dundas Valley - not listed as a forfeit yet, but it'll be a pounding if it goes ahead and Dundas are on life support.

Engadine v North Cronulla - I'm on the home team here to spring an upset against the minor premiers.

Wakehurst v Collaroy - neither side has anything to play for. One in the finals, one isn't. Only northern beaches rivalry to set up as a trophy, and injuries to avoid.

laura.ainslie

Peter Burge (5)
Laura, would the wolves be in a position to field 3 teams next year and move up to Div 4? You guys have had a great season so far

We would love to achieve 3 teams in 3 years, but I’m not sure if we’d be viable to do it. We’ve certainly got the players currently, and I believe some of our new guys from this season will stay around but a few will leave - I.e. some will retire, some will go elsewhere. We also have a number of players where we’re struggling to get fees off them, so we’d likley not be able to afford 3 teams. It’s definitely a dream though and who knows. It would be a great achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.