• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
I believe its because Brothers may not field a Third Grade?

I think they were having Mad Monday last week, so we haven't seen any of them. Suspect most might just keep up their League commitments and do another shift on Saturdays. A few will try Blue Mountains and 2 Blues no doubt.

A shame they have been lost to rugby if they do intend to pursue league f/t...

On a personal note: they didn't pick us as first choice, so while I'd like to try and keep them in rugby, I'd need to see a fair bit of commitment before I start paying money for a Halligan Cup game every week.

Well done on turning the club around Pfitzy!

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
DIV 1
WAVERLEY vs Drummoyne - Waves too strong for the dirty reds at home by 14
MOSMAN vs Balmain – Whales are in for a struggle here but I think they should just get home over a rejuvenated Muzzled wolf.
Hunters vs KNOX – hunters would have loved a week off to mend a few sore bodies and this weekend gives them their best chance of victory, however I see more pain with Knobs just getting over the top of them.
Colleagues vs PETERSHAM – Shammies to solid across the park for the yuppies. Petersham by 14

DIV 2
Beecroft vs HILLS – I expect Hills to bounce back from their last start towelling by Mountains and be too strong for the Beecroft boys at Headon.
MOUNTAINs vs Unsw – the Uni boys can expect more than a chilli reception at a freezing Lapstone as they should get pumped by 20+ by the Mountain men.
Lindfield vs FOREST – Lindfield has been there or thereabouts in all starts and Forest will be wary of an old solider ambush. Forest will run away with it in the last 20 winning comfortably in the end.
St PATS vs Epping - Will be the closest contest of the weekend which could go either way but will go with the home side over the RAMS by 3.

DIV 3
St Ives vs REDFIELD – Will be a cold windy day at Hassell and I cannot see much joy sadly for the struggling Saints. REDFIELD by 60+
BOBS vs Hawkesbury V – BOBS will not like the size match ups all day but they will have way to much class and win by 40+
Iggies vs NEWPORT - Iggies have been a little hit and miss and I’m hearing Breakers have a few back. This will be my upset of the round with Newport just getting over the top of Iggies in a nail biter.
HAC vs Brothers – Lower grade results could be ugly but think Brothers will give a good account of themselves in 1s. HAC in the end but not without a few scares.

Don't forget the top of the table clash in Meldrum Cup Div 6 this Saturday - Sea Lice vs Burraneer at Forshaw; I reckon the Sea Lice will win this one comfortably

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Div3:

St Ives vs REDFIELD: Too much speed outwide for Redfield. St Ives to hangtough early but get belted late. Redfield 30+
BOBS vs Valley: Similair story to above. Valley physical early but way to much class in the backs for BOBS and too run away with it late 15+
MOTR: iggies vs NEWPORT: Should be a cracker. Agree with you HeavyD, Newport are on the rebound and will win this in a tight one. Newport by 3
HAC vs Brothers: Physical game and if wet could stay tight. HAC by 15.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
DIV 1
WAVERLEY vs Drummoyne - This should be a close one, this will sound very stereo typical but if there is ain around this will suit the boys from Bondi massively. Waverley by 8
MOSMAN vs Balmain – Balmain to hang in right to the death but feel Mosman pack will help get them across the line in this one
Hunters vs KNOX – Hunters slowly starting to show they can score points but defence seems to be optional, Knox by plenty even if it Hunters Ladies day
Colleagues vs PETERSHAM – Petersham look to be as strong as they were last season especially in the top grade, expect them to continue on their merry way this weekend v colleague

DIV 2
Beecroft vs HILLS – Hills were embarrassed last week by the men from Lapstone, the local derby that Beecroft have had in their Calenders since the draw came out. Beware of a team and club that are down especially in local derbies, think Hills will be too good though in this encounter and will want to prove a point that last round was just a shocker
MOUNTAINs vs Unsw – This will be interesting Mountains have lost their leader of line speed in Brown in the backrow and UNSW seem to have picked things back up and if given the opportunity to hang in there will take it. I do feel though if Mountains put on a performance as they did against Hills this will be a belting. Mountains by 15+
Lindfield vs FOREST – Lindfield they know how to just hold in there and then lose it at the death. Forest proved they are in it for tough matches this year grinding out a tryless 12-6 against Pats in the battle of the forward packs. Being the battle of the packs Forest will look to assert their dominance nice and early and just grind down the young Lindfield side. Forest by 18
St PATS vs Epping - St Pats Ladies day and dominant scrum and pack this could be a long day for the Epping lads. they'll need to unleash their backline to have the best chance of winning this one but I think the battle of the packs will be the difference

DIV 3
St Ives vs REDFIELD –Cricket score on the cards here Redfield by plenty in all grades
BOBS vs Hawkesbury V – BOBS to have too much fitness and not sure the boys from the valley will enjoy the travel out to Turramurra ( they'll be hoping for the rain to come on Friday morning so they can move out to Windsor)
IGGIES vs Newport - reports of a few back for Newport but again the age old truth on them not travelling I feel will come back to bite them here and Iggies will look for a much improved performance this week to prove a point that they mean business this season. Iggies by 12
HAC vs Brothers – Will be interested too see if HAC have picked up any lads from Penrith. Brothers as noted by HeavyD will struggle in lower grades but should win colts. Cant see them matching it with HAC though in 1st grade

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well done on turning the club around Pfitzy!

Not out of the woods yet, but we're busting arse to get 2 teams on the field every week from this point, with the occasional breather as the tougher teams come to town.

We basically laid down the gauntlet in terms of commitment, and the players have to respond.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 4:
OATLEY v Briars - too much at home for Briars to overcome.

Mac Uni v BLACKTOWN - Warriors will be a bit too strong I think, though its the hot time of year for the students before the midyear exams shoot them in the foot.

Canterbury v SYDNEY IRISH - the Irish look ready to win a title at last, and they'll probably put Canterbury away comfortably.

FINALISTS:
McLean Cup - Irish are leading the field by a distance after only 4 rounds, and it will take a mighty effort from Canterbury or Harlequins to unseat them. Oatley may get a look in again but they seemed to run out of steam badly at the back end of 2017.
Grose Cup - Irish again! They don't score many points but they concede a helluva lot less, and its up to Harlequins to change that. As the First Grade finalists solidify, expect Oatley, Blacktown, and Mac Uni to start stacking back.
Walker Cup - uh... Irish? They'll definitely be there or thereabouts, though Canterbury hold a slim lead and will continue to use their experienced personnel to push for that cup. Oatley are always strong in 3s because they have good players who don't train. Expect them to run home and take it.

Division 5:
Dukes v SAVERS - the Dukes are struggling a bit for numbers, and Savers welcomed a few back in the past couple of weeks.

Renegades v CONVICTS - it comes down to training together, simply put. We had 15 at training but mostly Second Grade, and our starting 9/10 pair are young, inexperienced, and have never played together before. Convicts are looking the goods to challenge Menai and Merrylands for the big prize.

Maccabi v MERRYLANDS - the men from the west will probably touch 50 if they bring all their talent

MENAI v Lane Cove - it is a genuine shame that Menai won't field a Second Grade, as they probably could at home games. Covies will concentrate on bringing their best, but it most likely won't be enough.

FINALISTS:
Jeffrey Cup - gotta say that, having seen Merrylands and Menai, they're the front runners. Convicts will be quietly confident of upsetting a few people though. While Lane Cove are looking well-positioned, I think their technique and speed aren't going to survive the onslaught from Menai and Merrylands.
Noice Cup - its a four-horse race with Dukes out and the Renegades back. If we can keep our guys on the field, momentum will build and we can challenge Merrylands for the title.

Division 6:
Chatswood v WAKEHURST - not too far a drive for Wakehurst, and with 4th spot up for grabs this will be

Dee Why v COLLAROY - the Cougars picked up a lot of Terrey Hills boys, and should make short work of the 7th-placed Lions.

ENGADINE v Dundas Valley - should be a reaming.

NORTH CRONULLA v Burraneer - this would be a very interesting game to watch. Both sides undefeated and riding high.

FINALISTS:
Meldrum Cup - this is looking like a three-way race between the Sea Lice, Burraneer, and Collaroy. At this point you'd be hard-pressed to say the Sea Lice will fail in their first year back.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Collaroy's form line is a bit of an illusion.

2 of the 3 sides that will finish in the bottom 3, and a forfeit, makes up their 15 points.

Smacked fairly handily(at home too) in the one game against decent opposition.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Collaroy's form line is a bit of an illusion.

2 of the 3 sides that will finish in the bottom 3, and a forfeit, makes up their 15 points.

Smacked fairly handily(at home too) in the one game against decent opposition.

Given North Cronulla's average winning margin in games played is over 50, I'd say a 34-10 loss to the comp leaders is not a bad result.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That we will.

I'll know more about the mettle of my guys too. One bloke signed up last game, then got sick and couldn't make it. Now he's announced he can't make this weekend due to a surprise party for his wife, and will be on holiday the next month!

FFS.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
One bloke signed up last game, then got sick and couldn't make it. Now he's announced he can't make this weekend due to a surprise party for his wife, and will be on holiday the next month!

FFS.
He must be a back, ergo you can probably do without him.

Far out, how do coaches/managers/administrators stay relatively sane?

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Dee Why v COLLAROY - the Cougars picked up a lot of Terrey Hills boys, and should make short work of the 7th-placed Lions.

Why wouldn't the Terry Hills guys have gone to Wakehurst which is 5 minutes down the road or even stepped another 5 minutes to Forest? I'm sure Forest would have welcome 5 or 10 blokes who all could have still played together in 3s or 4s?

Nath

Bill Watson (15)

Why wouldn't the Terry Hills guys have gone to Wakehurst which is 5 minutes down the road or even stepped another 5 minutes to Forest? I'm sure Forest would have welcome 5 or 10 blokes who all could have still played together in 3s or 4s?

A lot of those northern clubs in the lower divisions hate each others guts. I'm guessing Terrey Hills and Collaroy didn't have an axe to grind against each other.

Bernie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Lane Cove Reggies where scheduled to play Mosman 6th at Balmoral tomorrow but are now playing, wait for it, wait for it, hold, hold, hold-UP, Menai 2nds. Yes Pfitzy. It has happened. Don't know the background but come 2pm tomorrow Menai will have two sides.....

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He must be a back, ergo you can probably do without him.

Far out, how do coaches/managers/administrators stay relatively sane?

I'm not. He's a second row/flanker so maybe I set my expectations too high.

Well, when you consider one of those Terrey Hills guys lives 5 minutes from the Renegades' home ground, its not that simple apparently. :rolleyes:

In other news: found a couple of guys from a club currently in 2nd Div who are looking for a local club. Come on in, lads.

Lane Cove Reggies where scheduled to play Mosman 6th at Balmoral tomorrow but are now playing, wait for it, wait for it, hold, hold, hold-UP, Menai 2nds. Yes Pfitzy. It has happened. Don't know the background but come 2pm tomorrow Menai will have two sides...

Yeah saw that on FB this morning.

I looked at Menai's teamsheets for rounds 1-4 and they've used a total of 32 players. So hopefully that continues. I don't think the quality of their teams will be much different and Covies should play 10-man rugby against them and attack the shit out of their set piece.

Will be interesting to see if they play 2 grades away.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
HAC 134-0 over Brothers in 2nd grade. That’s a 20 try romp, and their 1sts got pumped 76-0. They forefeited 3s with their only bright spot being their colts. Hopefully they can keep it together for the rest of the season. It maybe touch and go.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah that's a fair old paddling.

We ended up having almost two distinct Grades run today with guys showing up at various times. Fucking frustrating.

Seconds got a win and our first competition points of the year! Firsts got roundly hammered by Convicts' superior fitness and teamwork, and a ref who had no fucking idea about ruck or scrum.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 4:
OATLEY v Briars - too much at home for Briars to overcome.
Mac Uni v BLACKTOWN - Warriors will be a bit too strong I think, though its the hot time of year for the students before the midyear exams shoot them in the foot.
Canterbury v SYDNEY IRISH - the Irish look ready to win a title at last, and they'll probably put Canterbury away comfortably.

Missed the Irish result. A bit shocked actually as Irish lost 4 Grades today.

Division 5:
Dukes v SAVERS - the Dukes are struggling a bit for numbers, and Savers welcomed a few back in the past couple of weeks.
Renegades v CONVICTS - it comes down to training together, simply put. We had 15 at training but mostly Second Grade, and our starting 9/10 pair are young, inexperienced, and have never played together before. Convicts are looking the goods to challenge Menai and Merrylands for the big prize.
Maccabi v MERRYLANDS - the men from the west will probably touch 50 if they bring all their talent
MENAI v Lane Cove - it is a genuine shame that Menai won't field a Second Grade, as they probably could at home games. Covies will concentrate on bringing their best, but it most likely won't be enough.

100%, though it was a pretty easy round to call. Next week will be much tougher with Maccabi v Renegades, Covies v Savers, and Convicts v Merrylands.

Division 6:
Chatswood v WAKEHURST - not too far a drive for Wakehurst, and with 4th spot up for grabs this will be
ENGADINE v Dundas Valley - should be a reaming.
NORTH CRONULLA v Burraneer - this would be a very interesting game to watch. Both sides undefeated and riding high.

100% here, tho some of those results were closer than I expected - Chatswood going down by 1 to Wakehurst, and the Sea Lice pipping Burraneer by the same margin.

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
Bit surprised by the ease of the Petersham victory. Colleagues a very tough opponent last year but just outclassed today. Our Pommy 10 is out injured. Didn't seem to matter too much. Ladies Day at Colleagues. Holy Crap!!! The quantity and quality of the Totty down there today was breathtaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.