• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It's shit that plenty of guys won't get to play footy past the end of July.

Season started too early

Mate, believe me when I say it can't fucking finish soon enough for some of us! :(

I can't get guys to more than a couple of weeks at a time, so a longer season won't help that.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Mate, believe me when I say it can't fucking finish soon enough for some of us! :(

I can't get guys to more than a couple of weeks at a time, so a longer season won't help that.

I'm expecting plenty of lower grade forefeits this week with the 1st weekend of school holidays signalling the departure of many which will take its toll on many clubs whom have just been getting bye. Watch this space.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm expecting plenty of lower grade forefeits this week with the 1st weekend of school holidays signalling the departure of many which will take its toll on many clubs whom have just been getting bye. Watch this space.

I'm also losing a couple of guys to end of overseas trips for the last month - going home to visit relatives e.g. South Africa etc. Hard to lose particularly when they're props.

The Year Of

Allen Oxlade (6)
This weekend in 3rd div looks very one sided

Newport vs BOBS - Bobs could win by 80+
St Ives vs HAC - RSPCA should be called in to stop this one. 100+
Red Men vs VALLEY - Valley on fire and will win again by 15
Redfield vs BROTHERS - Redfield haven't been going too well for over a month. Going to continue Brothers by 20

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Jezz Div 2 has some big matches coming up to decide the top four. The best thing for Epping is they play both Hills and UNSW.

UNSW have Blueys home, Epping home and Forest away. That is a tough draw to finish the season. Big advantage having two games at home although I think the Epping game will decide both teams chances of making the four!

Hills have: Beecroft home, Forest home and Epping away. I think they will get the Beecroft game however the other two will be tough. Once again two games at home is a big advantage.

Epping have: St Pats home, UNSW away and Hills home. Big advantage having two home games and playing the two teams directly above them on the ladder.

So my predictions.......................... UNSW will lose all 3 games. Hills to beat Beecroft but lose the rest. Epping to lose to Pats but win the rest. With no bonus points that would mean...................Epping to finish on the 38 points in 4th, Hills 5th on 36 points and UNSW 6th on 31 points

Big call but we will see what happens

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Div 3 interesting games this weekend.

1st Grade:

Redfield vs Brothers. Brothers knocked Redfield out of the top four in the final game last season so I am sure they will be up for this one. Brothers in the top four for the first time this season. Brothers have HAC at home next round which will be tough so they need a win here. Redfield at home should be too strong

Iggies vs HV, Both teams will be cheering on Redfield in the other game. But teams still cling to the chance of a top four finish. If Valley lose then I think their top four chances are gone. I am going to pick HV to keep their season going.

2nd Grade:

Newport vs BOBs: BOBs had a tough victory against Newport at home. However with school holidays and the end of season fast approaching what BOBs team will we see? I think Newport will be too strong at home

Colts

Top of the table clash between Newport and Bobs. Bobs won by plenty home but as with above what sort of team are they going to put together for the Newport trip? Going to tip Newport in a close one

Redfield (4th) vs Brothers (5) this clash will decide 4th spot. Going to pick Redfield at home.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
HeavyB's Div 3 Tips

Newport v Barker - Porters will be an absolute crimescene on Saturday, and this week not just in the crowd. Barker 80+
Redfield v Brothers - Biggest match of season for us by far. Hopefully we can sneak home. Brothers by 1.
Iggies v Valley - Should be a relatively tight game but can see an in form Valley dominating a small Iggies pack. Valley by 10.
St Ives v HAC - Huge respect for every Saints player that pulls on a jersey in this one knowing full well that they will be towelled up by over 100 points. To be honest, with the focus on player safety (introduction of blue cards etc) you could argue this game probably shouldn't go ahead. There are 50+ yr olds running out in 1's for Saints and surely it has to be an issue. This game does nobody any good.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
St Ives v HAC - Huge respect for every Saints player that pulls on a jersey in this one knowing full well that they will be towelled up by over 100 points. To be honest, with the focus on player safety (introduction of blue cards etc) you could argue this game probably shouldn't go ahead. There are 50+ yr olds running out in 1's for Saints and surely it has to be an issue. This game does nobody any good.

There's a point where duty becomes hubris.

I had high hopes of us competing in our division but so many factors against that, and I don't know what else to do.

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 2 Tips

Hills v Beecroft - Hills have far more on the line here with Epping and UNSW hot on their heels. They will be desperate to recapture the form they showed in the early rounds. Hills by 12

UNSW v Blue Mountains - It's a long drive for the Blueys but with Division 1 within their grasp I'm expecting a strong turnout from the Mountain men across the grades. In first grade I'm expecting Blue Mountains to be far too strong and take it out by 10.

Forest v Lindfield - Forest host it's Ladies Day for the local derby. I'm expecting Forest to bounce back to form in a big way after a tough day out against St Pats. In whats will be a massive day for Forest I'm predicting them to get a big win. Forest by 15.

Epping v St Pats - Match of the round from my view. Epping hosts its Ladies Day with a top 4 spot on the line against an in form St Pats line up. Both teams have some big boys upfront so will be a very physical match up. St Pats stood up as true premiership contenders last week and I'm expecting them to continue the good form with a 5 point win in a nail biter at Somerville.

The Real Big Bopper

Allen Oxlade (6)
Epping's coach is on the piss in Vietnam this week so expect the Rams to get up... and get up well. The real coach is in charge this week AND footy_footy tipped against us.

PS Vietnam is a fucking great place to visit

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Maccabi have forfeited leaving us without a game this weekend. We tried to rally up the guys for a make up next weekend, but it’s not going to work.

Can't say I'm surprised - they've been living on about 18-20 players all year, and one social event involving half a dozen blokes could take them out for a weekend. They got pretty badly smashed against Savers, so might also have some injuries.

And, to be honest, there's not a lot of joy travelling to Holroyd to get the shit belted out of you. Its not anybody's fault that stronger clubs exist, but the physical and psychological punishment of getting stomped will take it out of a club EDIT: particularly if there isn't a finals spot on the line.

Subbies need to do something to have graded comps in the lower divisions, or clubs are just going to shrug and walk away.

laura.ainslie

Peter Burge (5)
Can't say I'm surprised - they've been living on about 18-20 players all year, and one social event involving half a dozen blokes could take them out for a weekend. They got pretty badly smashed against Savers, so might also have some injuries.

And, to be honest, there's not a lot of joy travelling to Holroyd to get the shit belted out of you. Its not anybody's fault that stronger clubs exist, but the physical and psychological punishment of getting stomped will take it out of a club EDIT: particularly if there isn't a finals spot on the line.

Subbies need to do something to have graded comps in the lower divisions, or clubs are just going to shrug and walk away.

To be honest, Maccabi out played us in the first half last time we played them, so we possibly wouldn’t have belted them...

And having graded comps in those lower grades is a great idea, but you run into the problems of player retention, which is quite frankly, the main thing that dictates your position in the different divisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.