• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

grobbo

Stan Wickham (3)
Struggling to get 15 up to HAC for the weekend anyway, so might be best that way.

Would love a draw to come out some time though.

HAC play on uni grounds not council, what are the chances that they will still be able to play this weekend even with the weather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapanuiPirate

Frank Row (1)
Word on the street is that HAC's day of trials has been cancelled due to the weather.

I was under the impression that as a private ground they always played but perhaps not.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Spoke to HAC today - Council closed all their grounds in the area, so despite the No 2 Oval at HAC being "bone dry" it was closed as well. Relieved.

Other phone calls today turned this up:

Menai might go up to 4th Div as a 2-team operation. They'll enjoy the level of competition up there I think as they've proven themselves well in Div 6 and then 5 over the last few years. They're rightfully sick of beating everyone to a pulp in the bottom 2 Divisions, and can't do any worse than we did last year.
Literally.
Fucking.
Can't.

Terrey Hills are goneskis.

The makeup of Divisions 5 and 6 therefore won't be finalised until something can be worked out in terms of it becoming either regional or broken down into 4 x 2 Grade clubs + nearby participants in Div 5 + The Rest in Div 6

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looking at the numbers: if Kings Old Boys and Dundas can't get into regular competition, that leaves 14 teams sifting around Div 5/6, and therefore I think Subbies would look at a single Division and some kind of playoffs.

2 Grades
Rouse Hill
Dukes
Lane Cove
Convicts

1 Grade
Chatswood
Collaroy
Wakehurst
Maccabi
Dee Why
Burraneer
North Cronulla
Engadine
Savers
Merrylands

Maybes
Dundas
KOBs

o_O

laura.ainslie

Peter Burge (5)
Looking at the numbers: if Kings Old Boys and Dundas can't get into regular competition, that leaves 14 teams sifting around Div 5/6, and therefore I think Subbies would look at a single Division and some kind of playoffs.

2 Grades
Rouse Hill
Dukes
Lane Cove
Convicts

1 Grade
Chatswood
Collaroy
Wakehurst
Maccabi
Dee Why
Burraneer
North Cronulla
Engadine
Savers
Merrylands

Maybes
Dundas
KOBs

o_O

It’s all up in the air at the moment. Hoping that some more clubs can try to get at least an occasional second grade to make the whole split a bit easier.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm hearing KOBs are definitely Halligan only. Clubs that can play Halligan after 1PM are going to be at a premium for us if both our Grades stick.

Bernie

Allen Oxlade (6)
That's going to be a bugger to sort out.
Would be interested to hear from any of Roseville's or Terrey Hill's former players as to what the go is.

Anywho, there's a trial 5-some going down at Wakehurst tomorrow arvo between Chatswood, Dee Why, Dukes, Lane Cove and Wakehurst.

From a personal prospective Lane Cove numbers are good with solid numbers showing at training to field two sides. However, Colts this year are struggling for numbers.

Bernie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Didn't you have an U19 and U21 colts last year? I heard something about 2 x Colts.

To be honest (generally, i'm a compulsive fibber) not too sure of the mechanics of last years Colts age groups as not involved with the admin but to go from two sides to barely one is disappointing.
The Colts sides of previous years have served and benefited the club in feeding the seniors. A fair few of the first Colts side of three years ago have stuck around.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Important to have that. I'm trying to butter up local juniors that don't have a senior side into some sort of partnership. Must be a heck of a lot of kids leaving the game based on how e.g. Norwest Bulls are going.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We’ve got a trial tomorrow at Blacktown with Blacktown and Macquarie Uni. Hopefully going to be a good day!

Its not far from my place, so I may get the opportunity to drop down and have a look at some point. Pending other engagements and all that.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
DIV 3 stuff

Forest played Newport, Terrigal and an impressive Canberra club on Saturday.

Newport colts looked sharp, Forest looked like they have plenty of numbers and the club from Canberra was very solid.

In other news Brothers have had two consecutive weather cancelled trials with Saturdays cancellation also impacted Iggies.

Challenge for many clubs is to maintain player momentum at training with Easter weekend and then crossfingers for round 1 turnouts.

Bernie

Allen Oxlade (6)
5 way trial
between Chatswood, Dee Why, Dukes, Lane Cove and Wakehurst.
Conditions where tough for the first few games but by mid afternoon had cooled down significantly.
I would say that all the sides generally were fairly even. Bit had to gauge how things are going when the games were only 20 minutes in duration, some even less. To use a mixed metaphor, no point crying over the way the cookie crumbles. Great to have a run around again though after 6 months off.
Credit must go to the ref who covered 8 of the 9 trials. Unfortunately the Wakehurst player who had the whistle for the 1st game between Lane Cove and Dukes took a nasty knock to the head when he was running around for Wakehurst.
Cheers to Wakehurst for the hosting the day too.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Also: Menai to give their answer on Division 4 as of tomorrow. I hear they've been doing some last-minute recruiting to make sure they've got covered for 2 and *maybe* 3 grades. Good work!

Bernie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any substance to the rumour that Chatswood may go 2 Grades?
There is substance to that rumour from what i saw. Fairly close to having a full side on the side lines when their trials were on. Whether that number of players can sustain two sides over a full season is another question. Maybe an optional second grade side is a better bet as per last season.
I hope Chatswood can stay in Div 5 as it's always good battle between us.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Looks like there are going to be some definite issues with colts numbers (more of the trend i guess...). Hearing several clubs in Div 2 and 3 are in trouble, as are Waverley. UNSW meanwhile apparently had over 40 colts at their trial with St. Pats on the weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.