• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
There were a few desperate/resigned faces in that meeting, looking back.

We're one of 5 clubs who have nominated for a 2nd Grade, and I'm fielding very few new starters at this point - lost another experienced prop today who is now helping out at his kids' sport.

Unless the Wallabies start winning - a lot - then I don't think rugby is going to survive as an amateur game.

Should piss the 2nd grade off and grade it then. Make sides good enough move up play competitive football every week, instead of galloping around putting up 70+ scores every week.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
How to get a better spread of players across the divisions is a question that pretty much has no answer besides "you can't".

Success breeds success. Young blokes can join a club where they don't have to volunteer and can go hit the piss with their mates while watching the big games at a well-appointed home ground, with ample volunteers and history to sustain it.

Nailed it with that one mate.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yep nailed it.

I think having Colts is also a big difference, most guys are retired by 25 so if you don't have an influx of 19yr olds coming into your club each year you will suffer.

Can't get Colts without Juniors.
Can't establish Juniors without a club.
Can't start a club without players.
Can't keep players without a lower grade.
Can't have a lower Grade without a youth injection.
Can't get a youth injection without Colts.

Repeat ad nauseam.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Should piss the 2nd grade off and grade it then. Make sides good enough move up play competitive football every week, instead of galloping around putting up 70+ scores every week.

Well, I've just jettisoned all the older guys from my club who want to play rugby, then.

And my club with it, because they're the ones I rely on week in and week out to fill gaps that the young blokes apparently don't want to with holidays overseas, ski trips, bucks nights, etc.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Well, I've just jettisoned all the older guys from my club who want to play rugby, then.

And my club with it, because they're the ones I rely on week in and week out to fill gaps that the young blokes apparently don't want to with holidays overseas, ski trips, bucks nights, etc.

How often do they play anyway if there's only 5 sides?

Couldn't Halligans serve that purpose?

Guys getting physically manhandled by bigger younger teams, will slowly kill off clubs.

Given that 5th div was bought back to provide a pathway for clubs who want to grow(which I think we can safely say isn't happening) wouldn't it be better for all involved to have 2 evenly matched divisions?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
How often do they play anyway if there's only 5 sides?

4 opponents makes 8 times per year guaranteed :)

Having to find 6 Halligan Cup games a year (or giving guys a week off to recover) is easier than finding 14 of them, I think you'll agree.

Once you play 4 Halligan games you're up for the cost of another Grade anyway, so might as well get a bunch of clubs to try their hardest to maintain a footprint for "all ages, all sizes".

I'm fortunate in that there is a local club (Hills) who ran Halligan Cup nearly every week last year, and might be able to help at our home games. Hopefully some of the away clubs can tee something up as well.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hearing that Division 4, being left with 7 clubs, might have to alter their playing structure to ensure everyone gets a home and away game. Might mean they drop a wet weather weekend and have to run the season a bit longer.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Barker have a trial with Knox and St Ives tomorrow.

Any other games going on?

Yep - bit of fun n games at Grantham Oval tomorrow for anyone interested.

HAC - 3rd Div
Blacktown - 4th Div
Renegades - 5th Div
Dundas - 6th Div (likely)

PACIFIC UNITY FINAL DESIGN.JPG

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
How did these trials go?

Well, Dundas were short on numbers, and we had just enough, so they pitched in as our bench in the first game, then started in some of the next.

Blacktown 46 - 7 ReneVikings
ReneVikings 15 - 12 HAC - I'd spoken to HAC on Friday and they were using one of their lower grades to give the guys a hit out against us. We definitely would not have taken their higher grades on at all.
That was our day done before lunch, but it was probably enough as a first run for guys who haven't trained as a team.
Blacktown then lost to HAC I think.

Both of them played a "final" with a few First Grade players by the looks - I was leaving at that point so didn't see who got up.

I guess I had two issues with the day - first one being the early start hampered a lot of our blokes who might have been looking for an afternoon game.

Second probably was some of the dickhead behaviour. After being told it was a "fun day of cultural celebration" I've had knobs from other clubs either drop the knee into my guys, threaten physical violence, or throw punches. FFS idiots...

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bobs apparently won a couple if games but dont know in which grades.
Bobs have newport and iggies this weekend.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Epping are hosting Petersham over at Dundas.

The Vikings will be Epping's Fourth Grade for the day, and a few of our blokes are going over for a run off the bench to return the favour from Saturday. Also good as we don't have anywhere to train at the moment.

I might even pull the boots on if there's a need. It'll give me another opponent on the checklist, and as I'm unlikely to ever play in First Division, probably my only shot at Petersham.

The Real Big Bopper

Allen Oxlade (6)
Cheers to Dundas and Rouse Hill for joining in.

Think it worked out to suit everyone. Shammies get 4 grades plus colts, Dundas get a trial at a time that suits more of their guys (at their home ground), Rouse Hill lads get a gallop and the Rams can have a big trial against one of the powerhouses.

Should be a good day. Nervous and excited in equal measure. Looking forward to seeing a few new recruits hit the turf and we get to see if we're up to the standard required to have another crack at Div 2.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Now I'm hearing:

Dee Why are back!
Terrey Hills are shaky.
Collaroy are looking iffy.
Menai are now thinking hard about the second team not being in - so maybe only four clubs with 2 Grades.
Savers might be pushed up into 5th Div in order to make the First Grade comp a bit more even and encourage them to get the fuck out of 6th Division.

Life comes at you fast.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
Now I'm hearing:

Dee Why are back!
Terrey Hills are shaky.
Collaroy are looking iffy.
Menai are now thinking hard about the second team not being in - so maybe only four clubs with 2 Grades.
Savers might be pushed up into 5th Div in order to make the First Grade comp a bit more even and encourage them to get the fuck out of 6th Division.

Life comes at you fast.

I couldn't even imagine the stress of pre season in a one team club.

Anyone have word on Kings Old Boys?

Status
Not open for further replies.