• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Hunters Hill:
10th March: Hastings Valley Vikings and Walcha at Port Macquarie
17th: UNSW and Brothers at Boronia 3.
24th: Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury Valley at Boronia 3.
7th April: Petersham at Camperdown

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Emailed the guys at Parramatta to inform them of the juniors folding. I said I'd provide feedback if they wanted it.

They did, so I gave them the lot.

Got a call yesterday from the Western Sydney dev officer (who was cc'd on the emails) and he apparently wants to have a chat. Not sure what that could achieve - I've already admitted we could have done things better in terms of engagement, but against the massive tide that is soccer and league out here, with AFL coming up fast, how fast can you row?

There are factors beyond rugby's control. The only thing is to get the Wallabies winning again, which they can't do because - in the spiral rugby has put itself on - they're not prepared to make the hard decisions about political bullshit.

End rant, part 1.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Rant part 2:

What is shitting me at this point? Well, let me see- oh yes: Hills Council decided to oversow our field (along with about 30 others) during March,which basically fucks our last month leading into preseason, and ensures we'll host no trials.

Still looking for a ground to train on for March. I emailed Blacktown Friday after 4PM to inquire about availability. At 0854 hours today they replied "nup. Go back and talk to Hills"

That is some kind of record for Council responsiveness - less than 1 business hour!

So now I need to turn to beer economy to ensure we get at least something. Or basically kiss the club goodbye because March rain shat all over us last year, while 2018 shapes up to be The Year That Council Fucked Us.

I have a follow up to this!

After going cap in hand to several local soccer and league clubs, I finally had a deal worked out with Newbury Bulls, bless their cotton socks.

And then Blacktown Council got wind of it.
And they told Newbury Bulls that under no circumstances were they to sub-let their ground.
Or Blacktown Council would fuck them. Hard.

So now I don't have a ground for March again, unless I want to train on a Tuesday or Thursday night, during which my coach isn't available because he's doing the slog with rep sides or his own boys at Hills Juniors.

While trying to implement the new age/weight rules as one of three dozen Level 2 coaches across the state.

Fuck running a club, honestly. If its not the fuckers who want to pay $5 a week, its the fuckers at Council, or the fuckers in administration who wouldn't know the truth if it painted itself purple and dickslapped them across the face.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
News from Div 5 & 6 meeting:
Roseville are gone
Dee Why are gone
Kings are still deciding between Div 6 or Halligan Cup.

Fifth Division is looking like these 5:
Rouse Hill Renegades
Alexandria Dukes
Lane Cove
Menai
Sydney Convicts

Plus another 3 from this melting pot:
Burraneer
Chatswood
Collaroy
Cronulla
Dundas Valley
Engadine
Maccabi
Manly Savers
Merrylands
Terrey Hills
Wakehurst

If they DO put a couple of clubs up, I hope its someone a bit central like Dundas, Chatswood, and

Tim Richards was making noises about forcing some long-term 6th Div clubs up.
*cough* Savers *cough*

We shall see.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I should add: meanwhile clubs like Colleagues and Mosman etc. are fielding 8 fucking sides. How are small clubs suppose to do anything good compared to that?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I should add: meanwhile clubs like Colleagues and Mosman etc. are fielding 8 fucking sides. How are small clubs suppose to do anything good compared to that?

When you say Roseville and Dee Why are gone do you mean as in ceased to exist? Or gone down a Div.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
When you say Roseville and Dee Why are gone do you mean as in ceased to exist? Or gone down a Div.

exparrot.jpg

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wow how sad. We used to include Roseville in our trials and they always had 25+ young fit blokes turn up and where pretty handy players. I wonder if Brothers will pick any of them up? Likewise Dee Why, maybe some will head to Collaroy or Forest but as is normally the way when a clubs folds most will just stop playing.

Rugby on the northern beaches has seen particpation numbers for junior clubs like Narrabeen and Newport fall away significantly, its that serious that for some age groups they are talking about running a combined team. 5 years ago they would have been fielding 3 or 4 teams each!

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Wow how sad. We used to include Roseville in our trials and they always had 25+ young fit blokes turn up and where pretty handy players. I wonder if Brothers will pick any of them up? Likewise Dee Why, maybe some will head to Collaroy or Forest but as is normally the way when a clubs folds most will just stop playing.

Rugby on the northern beaches has seen particpation numbers for junior clubs like Narrabeen and Newport fall away significantly, its that serious that for some age groups they are talking about running a combined team. 5 years ago they would have been fielding 3 or 4 teams each!

Dee why weren't a young club, so I'd say they'll just die out.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
Sad times. I always marvelled at Roseville's resilience over the years, being so close to Lindfield, Brothers and Chatswood.

What's the story with Kings? Why would they be tossing up between Div 6 and Halligans? I don't really see Halligans as a legitimate competition, more a place for the 'extras' to have a run around every 2 or 3 weeks.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sad times. I always marvelled at Roseville's resilience over the years, being so close to Lindfield, Brothers and Chatswood.

What's the story with Kings? Why would they be tossing up between Div 6 and Halligans? I don't really see Halligans as a legitimate competition, more a place for the 'extras' to have a run around every 2 or 3 weeks.

That tells me they don't have the numbers to commit to a regular competition. The once mighty Kings all but gone. Sadly there will be more to follow.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
From my observations seeing Kings last year, they were a bunch of guy who looked they played together 10 years ago, getting the band back together for one final hurrah.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Maybe, however the Div 6 comp is entry level for any one team clubs looking to get a start into subbies so if you cant handle Div 6 they are in trouble.

Some of the Div 6 First Grade teams are pretty good. Let's not forget Redfield started there and kicked all kinds of arse (Premiers 2010, 2011) as they marched through Divs 5 (Premiers 2012) and 4 (Premiers 2014).

First Grade is First Grade for the lower divisions. If you want a social grade, and you're playing there, expect to get regularly smacked. If you're resilient enough, by all means keep going.

I don't really see Halligans as a legitimate competition, more a place for the 'extras' to have a run around every 2 or 3 weeks.

Higher Division Clubs are running Halligan teams almost every week. Having seen what Waverley put out as their "Fourth" Grade against Irish's Third Grade last year in Round 4, there is no shortage of players at top Div clubs of reasonable skill, youth, and fitness.

How to get a better spread of players across the divisions is a question that pretty much has no answer besides "you can't".

Success breeds success. Young blokes can join a club where they don't have to volunteer and can go hit the piss with their mates while watching the big games at a well-appointed home ground, with ample volunteers and history to sustain it.

Subbies have brought on a resource to help clubs deal with local and state government bodies, but you're still going to lose an argument when its your Club with 2 Rugby Grades up against the local soccer club with 50+

Particularly when you're travelling over an hour for some games, and the soccer guys don't do even half that.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There were a few desperate/resigned faces in that meeting, looking back.

We're one of 5 clubs who have nominated for a 2nd Grade, and I'm fielding very few new starters at this point - lost another experienced prop today who is now helping out at his kids' sport.

Unless the Wallabies start winning - a lot - then I don't think rugby is going to survive as an amateur game.

Status
Not open for further replies.