• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2019

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
We've always enjoyed throwing some comments here and there at opposition players (as well as our own) which is always in good nature. I think every club gets those ring-ins that take it too far unfortunately.
Had a couple of good games against HeavyB and his boys on their ladies day where the banter has been flowing. Id have to say this is the silver lining with the numbers issue. smaller clubs have the camaraderie and light-heartedness to get involved in that stuff.
Tore shreds off the young brothers 1st grade winger last year. he took it like an absolute champ to be fair. Can't wait to see TC again!

Poor kid must have taken the banter to heart - Can confirm said winger bitched it and isn't playing this year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Challenge is you get groups of guys who show up to a public oval, not associated with the club, bring their own booze and then think its funny to abuse the ref, touchies and opposition players as their Saturday arvo entertainment. Its very hard to control.

The Dee Why squad showed some differences from the week before, so maybe they brought down a different crowd - a few guys with a very rugby league style. One of our Old Boys who lives up that way said a local league comp had collapsed the week before so maybe they were ringers?

The Burke

Stan Wickham (3)
Tips for this week.

Div 1 - Waves, Colleagues, Mosman, Petersham
Div 2 - Hunters Hill (they have to get it together surely), St Pats, Lindfield, Epping
Div 3 - Old Iggies, Newport, Redfield, Hawk Ag
Div 4 - Oatley, Canterbury, Quinns, Briars
Div 5 - Lice, Maccabi, Convicts
Div 6 - Savers, Lane Cove, Chatswood

Some tough match ups across many of the divisions this week. Sad to hear Oatley having to pull the pin on 4th grade, effectively making that a 5 team comp. Better for the club to make this call early in the year then struggle to make it work all year and have a large level of departures by the end of the year and start of the following year.

uziel malifa

Bob McCowan (2)
Even pro players don't like getting boo'd now.

Friggin joke, did people wanna play in front of a bunch of clapping robots.
i believe theres people who boo and people who seems to think its ok to get the away team's physiotherapist approach me during a jog back to the half way line and her saying to me "do you know those supporters on the hill" now thats bad

uziel malifa

Bob McCowan (2)
Tips for this week.

Div 1 - Waves, Colleagues, Mosman, Petersham
Div 2 - Hunters Hill (they have to get it together surely), St Pats, Lindfield, Epping
Div 3 - Old Iggies, Newport, Redfield, Hawk Ag
Div 4 - Oatley, Canterbury, Quinns, Briars
Div 5 - Lice, Maccabi, Convicts
Div 6 - Savers, Lane Cove, Chatswood

Some tough match ups across many of the divisions this week. Sad to hear Oatley having to pull the pin on 4th grade, effectively making that a 5 team comp. Better for the club to make this call early in the year then struggle to make it work all year and have a large level of departures by the end of the year and start of the following year.

yeah sad to see the oatley boys having to cut 3rd grade but its better because the numbers we got to training last night and this week has been quite sad 6 last night and one on tuesday but if anyone can get out of this alive and make through the season its us

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Fairly dominant road win over convicts.

Didn't see it, but the 3 eastern suburbs teams looking at a long season.

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
Blue Mountains 40 Petersham 29. Well done to the Men From The Mountains. Shammies looking not as strong as 2017 2018.

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wow!! When was the last time a newly promoted side beat the two time Premiers? Has that ever happened? I doubt it. Amazing stuff!!!

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Redfields dominance continues as they lead all grades bar colts. How did HV beat ROBS colts yesterday? Throw the form guide out the window.

At Porters Brothers colts fielded only 12 players yesterday and whilst they tackled their hearts out a cricket score was inevitable with that player mismatch.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Redfields dominance continues as they lead all grades bar colts. How did HV beat ROBS colts yesterday? Throw the form guide out the window.

At Porters Brothers colts fielded only 12 players yesterday and whilst they tackled their hearts out a cricket score was inevitable with that player mismatch.

That they did... Special mention to one of those colts who ended up playing all of 2nds, then half is 1st grade when we had an injury and no bench.

Was just a real shitfight of a day for the club, our 1st grade backline ended up having 3-4 debutants from 2nd grade and as most would know, our 2s haven't won a game in 2 years so that was never going to end well.

Was actually really pleasantly surprised by Porters and Newport. The genuine Newport club corner were actually pretty respectful and well bevahed. Only chat came from the random locals on the hill, which is fine and obviously can't be helped. They were even told to shut up a few times by Newport guys.

Even went back into the clubhouse and had a few beers. Met a few genuinely good blokes who explained they were trying to make an effort to change how they're viewed as a club.. Spent a bit of time talking to their 1's coach who was also a top bloke.

You wouldn't happen to be the bloke singing about "filling corpses with your jizzum" would you HeavyD?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
That they did. Special mention to one of those colts who ended up playing all of 2nds, then half is 1st grade when we had an injury and no bench.

Was just a real shitfight of a day for the club, our 1st grade backline ended up having 3-4 debutants from 2nd grade and as most would know, our 2s haven't won a game in 2 years so that was never going to end well.

Was actually really pleasantly surprised by Porters and Newport. The genuine Newport club corner were actually pretty respectful and well bevahed. Only chat came from the random locals on the hill, which is fine and obviously can't be helped. They were even told to shut up a few times by Newport guys.

Even went back into the clubhouse and had a few beers. Met a few genuinely good blokes who explained they were trying to make an effort to change how they're viewed as a club.. Spent a bit of time talking to their 1's coach who was also a top bloke.

You wouldn't happen to be the bloke singing about "filling corpses with your jizzum" would you HeavyD?

I took off after 1st grade, were there speeches? Normally only those clubs on bus trips hang around and come up so credit if there was a Brothers presence up there. Blacktown loved it last week and HV and HAC always rock the house on their big bus trips. (Funnily enough I cannot recall ROBS ever doing a bus trip to Porters).

Shame the crowd numbers were down but when RATS are at home it smashes our crowd numbers. Think there are only two home game conflicts this season and you guys fell into one.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
I took off after 1st grade, were there speeches? Normally only those clubs on bus trips hang around and come up so credit if there was a Brothers presence up there. Blacktown loved it last week and HV and HAC always rock the house on their big bus trips. (Funnily enough I cannot recall ROBS ever doing a bus trip to Porters).

Shame the crowd numbers were down but when RATS are at home it smashes our crowd numbers. Think there are only two home game conflicts this season and you guys fell into one.

One of the Newport blokes came over and asked us up. There were probably half a dozen of us up there.. Our president/ late 50 something 1st grade prop made a bit of a speech. Obviously not enough there to go through 3 2 1's etc..

I'd say next time we're there we will all go up on the back of Saturday. Likewise hope we can do the same when Newport visit RCO.

Hopefully next time we can field a more competitive 1's team in particular. The team we fielded against Iggies for instance was decent, just no depth when we lose 3-4 key players.

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)
RUMour Ron Zacapa. Tasty tasty RUMours for you to sip on as the mercury begins to drop.

15 out of 22 on the tipping front. Not my best work but hey, I can't always be amazing.

On the rumour front, one of my spies in the bushes tells me that a one club, perhaps a little sour after losing 1st grade on the bell, cancelled speeches despite 20 odd of the opposition hanging around to do the right thing.

I refer to my previous comments about banter and speeches going the way of the dodo... the fabric of the game is becoming increasingly threadbare

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
I wonder if you are talking about my club (Bobs) or Iggies?

Both clubs lost high scoring games from seemingly unloseable positions on Saturday in the last few minutes

RUMour Ron Zacapa. Tasty tasty RUMours for you to sip on as the mercury begins to drop.

15 out of 22 on the tipping front. Not my best work but hey, I can't always be amazing.

On the rumour front, one of my spies in the bushes tells me that a one club, perhaps a little sour after losing 1st grade on the bell, cancelled speeches despite 20 odd of the opposition hanging around to do the right thing.

I refer to my previous comments about banter and speeches going the way of the dodo. the fabric of the game is becoming increasingly threadbare

Cranky Penguin

Stan Wickham (3)
What happened to the days where what happens on the field stays on the field? Someone gets a cheap shot on you. You wait patiently and get them back at some point during the game. All is not forgotten but it’s definitely left on the field. The game is getting soft as it is, but then to add to that we have clubs dobbing on each other post game now.

St Pats have built that unfortunate reputation in recent seasons. I have spoken to numerous opposition clubs and they have been on the end of St Pats trying to send in videos to the judiciary (without being asked too) numerous times about incidents that they felt needed justice that were missed by the on-field officials. Most of the time this occurs when they have lost the game or even the grand final as was evident last year against Blue Mountains. Just looks like sour grapes.

They should probably focus on building the game in their area and let the officials worry about serving justice in my opinion.

Attachments

• 100B908D-12DC-4D93-A2D0-D966B81AB02F.jpeg
    100B908D-12DC-4D93-A2D0-D966B81AB02F.jpeg
    639.3 KB · Views: 228

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
What happened to the days where what happens on the field stays on the field? Someone gets a cheap shot on you. You wait patiently and get them back at some point during the game. All is not forgotten but it’s definitely left on the field. The game is getting soft as it is, but then to add to that we have clubs dobbing on each other post game now.

There's cheap shots and then there's intentionally stamping on someone's nut-sack. And since Subbies have made mid-range striking 6 weeks, you can no longer deal with fwits on the field.