• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2019

Cranky Penguin

Stan Wickham (3)
There's cheap shots and then there's intentionally stamping on someone's nut-sack. And since Subbies have made mid-range striking 6 weeks, you can no longer deal with fwits on the field.

Seagull stepping on someone’s groin intentionally is terrible. There is no room for that sort of stuff in the game. I’m not talking about those extremes. To be honest I have never seen that in my time in the game either. That should have been addressed then and there. Was it not?

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Seagull stepping on someone’s groin intentionally is terrible. There is no room for that sort of stuff in the game. I’m not talking about those extremes. To be honest I have never seen that in my time in the game either. That should have been addressed then and there. Was it not?

No, it was something that the ref and both touchies missed last year - admittedly play had moved on near the try line so they had a reasonable excuse.

Understand that you weren't talking about the extremes, I was more trying to point out that the restrictions on rough play has made it more likely. Bring back Rucking!

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
What happened to the days where what happens on the field stays on the field? Someone gets a cheap shot on you. You wait patiently and get them back at some point during the game. All is not forgotten but it’s definitely left on the field. The game is getting soft as it is, but then to add to that we have clubs dobbing on each other post game now.

St Pats have built that unfortunate reputation in recent seasons. I have spoken to numerous opposition clubs and they have been on the end of St Pats trying to send in videos to the judiciary (without being asked too) numerous times about incidents that they felt needed justice that were missed by the on-field officials. Most of the time this occurs when they have lost the game or even the grand final as was evident last year against Blue Mountains. Just looks like sour grapes.

They should probably focus on building the game in their area and let the officials worry about serving justice in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of this growing trend. Iggies come to mind as a club that film games and turn dibber dobbers.

I think it was 2017 one of our blokes got 4 weeks for something that wasn't even penalised during a game. Completely missed by all officials. To be fair, if it was seen, it wouldv'e been a red, he punched a bloke in the head completely off the ball...

However, something about the dibber dobber attitude rubs me the wrong way.. and as you say, it was after a game where we had given them a fairly convincing touch up.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Just wondering what everyone else thinks about clubs like Mosman fielding 10 teams as a club some weeks and Colleagues 9 teams..

Is this really healthy for subbies rugby? I would suggest that it isn't..

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Just wondering what everyone else thinks about clubs like Mosman fielding 10 teams as a club some weeks and Colleagues 9 teams..

Is this really healthy for subbies rugby? I would suggest that it isn't..

I would say it only appears unhealthy due to the troubles other clubs have of attracting players. Trying to force these extras to play elsewhere would only result in the majority of them leaving the game, so you can't attack the clubs themselves for actually providing the teams for these gents to play in.

It's the same issue as some Shute clubs having 4/5 Colts teams and any fix for it needs to be permissive rather the proscriptive.

Edit: Please note that I am not attacking nor blaming clubs that have trouble attracting players

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of this growing trend. Iggies come to mind as a club that film games and turn dibber dobbers.

I think it was 2017 one of our blokes got 4 weeks for something that wasn't even penalised during a game. Completely missed by all officials. To be fair, if it was seen, it wouldv'e been a red, he punched a bloke in the head completely off the ball.

However, something about the dibber dobber attitude rubs me the wrong way.. and as you say, it was after a game where we had given them a fairly convincing touch up.

Mate, you had an ex professional player king hit someone off the ball, when his back was turned. Broke his nose and he needed surgery. We got it on film so we sent it to the judiciary. He's a grub and deserved the suspension.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
I would say it only appears unhealthy due to the troubles other clubs have of attracting players. Trying to force these extras to play elsewhere would only result in the majority of them leaving the game, so you can't attack the clubs themselves for actually providing the teams for these gents to play in.

It's the same issue as some Shute clubs having 4/5 Colts teams and any fix for it needs to be permissive rather the proscriptive.

Edit: Please note that I am not attacking nor blaming clubs that have trouble attracting players

Yeah, and I get that point of view. I don't know, nothing is perfect I guess. Just seems like potentially those clubs are cannibalising the rest of subbies, albeit unintentionally.. and you can't tell me they all have some undying allegiance to those clubs either. Blokes drive way across town to be part of those clubs.

Can't help but think what I'd do if my own club folds this year and the appeal of going to one of those clubs where you don't need to constantly worry about numbers etc would be appealing..

S

Show-n-go

I think it was 2017 one of our blokes got 4 weeks for something that wasn't even penalised during a game. Completely missed by all officials. To be fair, if it was seen, it wouldv'e been a red, he punched a bloke in the head completely off the ball.

cant believe you'd even bring that up as an example

you do that you deserved to get dobbed in

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Mate, you had an ex professional player king hit someone off the ball, when his back was turned. Broke his nose and he needed surgery. We got it on film so we sent it to the judiciary. He's a grub and deserved the suspension.

Oh come on, he's hardly a superstar these days. He's in his mid 40's and couldn't get a start in our 1st grade pack on Saturday, and we are awful. If he has played "professionally", I'm certainly unaware of that, I'll take your word for it though.. Not sure what the relevance of it is anyway.

In any case, what he did was absolutely shithouse.. indefensible and not on. I guess the only thing maybe I use to forgive those guys is that they've grown up playing rugby in Fiji where I'd imagine some of this stuff is pretty par for the course. They're absolutely THE most kind, gentle lovely blokes you'd ever meet off the field, it's quite strange.

I still maintain I don't like clubs dobbing each other in - I don't care if someone was beheaded. If subbies ask for footage or even want to film games themselves that's fine... I just reckon its a bad look, sets a dangerous precedent where you might find clubs trawling footage to get players suspended for upcoming finals etc.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
cant believe you'd even bring that up as an example

you do that you deserved to get dobbed in

okay, thats your opinion, mine is different.

Plus, lets remember, the incident I'm referring to saw our player get 4 weeks. 4 weeks, not 12. If it was terrible an incident as was suggested above, it definitely would have been far more. I disagree to an extent with the description above but that was never my point.

I just don't like clubs volunteering information in the hope of dishing out their own justice.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
Oh come on, he's hardly a superstar these days. He's in his mid 40's and couldn't get a start in our 1st grade pack on Saturday, and we are awful. If he has played "professionally", I'm certainly unaware of that, I'll take your word for it though.. Not sure what the relevance of it is anyway.

In any case, what he did was absolutely shithouse.. indefensible and not on. I guess the only thing maybe I use to forgive those guys is that they've grown up playing rugby in Fiji where I'd imagine some of this stuff is pretty par for the course. They're absolutely THE most kind, gentle lovely blokes you'd ever meet off the field, it's quite strange.

I still maintain I don't like clubs dobbing each other in - I don't care if someone was beheaded. If subbies ask for footage or even want to film games themselves that's fine. I just reckon its a bad look, sets a dangerous precedent where you might find clubs trawling footage to get players suspended for upcoming finals etc.

The relevance is he's a big bastard, not a scrawny half back.

There is an easy solution.. Don't king hit people when they have their back turned and you won't get suspended.

I really hope that if one of your players required surgery after being king hit and you had it on film you would submit it to the judiciary.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah, and I get that point of view. I don't know, nothing is perfect I guess. Just seems like potentially those clubs are cannibalising the rest of subbies, albeit unintentionally.. and you can't tell me they all have some undying allegiance to those clubs either. Blokes drive way across town to be part of those clubs.

Can't help but think what I'd do if my own club folds this year and the appeal of going to one of those clubs where you don't need to constantly worry about numbers etc would be appealing..

Turn up, trot out in 6th grade, go watch first Grade with a beer. Maybe help pack up occasionally.

Better than spending 20 hours a week on it

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
The relevance is he's a big bastard, not a scrawny half back.

There is an easy solution.. Don't king hit people when they have their back turned and you won't get suspended.

I really hope that if one of your players required surgery after being king hit and you had it on film you would submit it to the judiciary.

Okay, look, it's been two years since I've seen the vision, but that isn't how I remember it, however I could very well be wrong. From memory it was on the edge of the ruck and I've just been reminded by a mate from the club that the punch was allegedly in response to something racial that was said.

I doubt that if the incident was exactly as you describe, he would only have received 4 weeks once subbies had seen the footage? You can get more for a lifting tackle.

Show-n-go - The bloke had a broken nose? He wasn't hit in the back of the head.

Obviously I disagree with the punch - as I have said several times. He deserved to be sent off. absolutely. He even deserved to be suspended. I am not disputing this AT ALL. What I disagree with is the method by which he came to be suspended....

This whole thing is insanely out of hand. I was trying to make a point about footage and the basic principle of a competing team not being allowed to act as a judiciary..... I would have thought that was a fairly basic concept.. but if its going to be blown up into something I don't think is fair, I will say so.

I'm interested - Do Iggies actually film every game or only when they play Brothers?

S

Show-n-go

This whole thing is insanely out of hand. I was trying to make a point about footage and the basic principle of a competing team not being allowed to act as a judiciary... I would have thought that was a fairly basic concept.. but if its going to be blown up into something I don't think is fair, I will say so.

I'm interested - Do Iggies actually film every game or only when they play Brothers?

i think the most basic concept here is don't be a grub and then there's nothing for people to film and submit.

Funny

Stan Wickham (3)
Hey HeavyB , just hear from our committee that Brothers are going to have a 3rd Grade on Sat.

Is this true?

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Hey HeavyB , just hear from our committee that Brothers are going to have a 3rd Grade on Sat.

Is this true?

Apparently so mate.... It is "Ladies Day" so if it ever happens it'll be this week you'd hope. Also pretty sure we've been given an ultimatum by subbies that if we don't field a 3's this week that it's binned for the rest of the year, so the club will be moving heaven and earth to get 3's on... again, probably to the detriment of the club when its probably just going to be a warm up game for 2's who are already going to get a fearful belting. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. what a situation...

We're copping it from subbies despite us expressing our concern about remaining in div 3 and fielding the teams. "Stay in div 3 they said... it'll be fun they said".

Funny

Stan Wickham (3)
Our worry is you guys were right to play 3s last year and then had to forfeit at the last second. Not a huge problems for the higher grades but its a long way for a 3rd grader to go and not get a run. We have found someone to play on sat and now may miss out both ways. Hopefully you boys will be right but if your not, hopefully you wont wait till 20 minutes before kick off to call it.

Apparently so mate.. It is "Ladies Day" so if it ever happens it'll be this week you'd hope. Also pretty sure we've been given an ultimatum by subbies that if we don't field a 3's this week that it's binned for the rest of the year, so the club will be moving heaven and earth to get 3's on. again, probably to the detriment of the club when its probably just going to be a warm up game for 2's who are already going to get a fearful belting. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. what a situation.

We're copping it from subbies despite us expressing our concern about remaining in div 3 and fielding the teams. "Stay in div 3 they said. it'll be fun they said".