• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2019

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
HeavyB's Div 3 Tips

Brothers v HAC - Based on the team that has been named (hopefully thats the team that shows up), expect more of the Iggies draw form than the Newport and Blacktown away floggings form. Even still, realistically hard to see a W against HAC, not that the players won't be giving it a red hot crack..

Blacktown V Valley - Valley will be gutsy as they always are and compete for maybe a half before the power of Blacktown shows and they pull away in the second half. Blacktown by 17

Iggies v Redfield - Based on form, can't see anything but Redfield continuing their dominance and flogging Iggies here. Redfield by 40+

Beecroft V Newport - Match of the Round. This should definitely be the tightest game of the round. Newport have kind of changed the way they play this year. Previous years they've been a bit more bash and barge but Saturday against us, they were a lot less direct and ran us around. Won't work against Beecroft. Newport scrum was pretty custard too.. they defs need to sort that out. I'll go with Beecroft given Newport are travelling. Beecroft by 10.

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)
Rumour Ron Dufficy back again for your reading displeasure. I've got the Rumours to make Fleetwood Mac sound like the Kings Old Boys virgin choir and I'll pick more than a snotty nosed 8 year old.

Div1 Shammies, Whales, Reds, Blueys
Div2 Hunters Hill, Pats, Hills, Epping
Div3 Ag, Redfield, Blacktown, Beecroft
Div4 Quins, Irish, Merrylands, Berries
Div5 Convicts, Lice, Dukes
Div6 Chatswood, Raptors and Covies

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 5:
Dukes v Maccabi - the blue and white hoops took out Burraneer last week, and its a short trip to Botany
Engadine v Sea Lice - Got a feeling about the Lions this week after they smashed Convicts despite 3 yellow cards in a row. Lice haven't been as dominant as last year.
Convicts v Burraneer - after last week I reckon the Convicts will be eager to set things to rights, but Burraneer were close last week so will be equally determined

Div 6:
Chatswood v Renegades - the staggies probably have the youth, fitness, and cohesion to do this. They handily beat the Raptors, who look a bit like us in terms of strengths.
Lane Cove v Manly Savers - this will be a cracker. Covies at home probably too good with some of their Halligan team backing up.
Raptors v Wakehurst - a lot of this will come down to how Wakehurst travel. They've been fairly solid, beaten only by a good Lane Cove side at Tantallon.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div 1
Colleagues vs PETERSHAM: Shammies by 15
Mosman vs Waverley: The Whales to win it for Abbott
DRUMMOYNE vs Balmain: Dirty Reds by plenty
MOUNTAINS vs Knobs: The big men to trample the little men

Div 2
UNSW vs Hunters: Something is a miss at Boronia
Bobs vs ST PATS; Will be tight by St Pats too big
HILLS vs Lindfield: Will go with HIlls at home in a high scoring encounter.
Epping vs FOREST: Will take the Hillbillies over the Rams to register a vital away win.

Div 3
Brothers vs HAC: Sorry HeavyB but form line says HAc by plenty.
Iggies vs ROBS: Same as above
BLACKTOWN vs HV: After a couple of the road Balcktwon will relish a big home ground victory.
Beecroft vs NEWPORT: Beecroft will make life hell for bitter old rivals Newport but with 4 1st graders returning and a lightening quick back line I'm hoping for the Breakers by 1.

The Burke

Stan Wickham (3)
Div1 - Mountains, Mosman, Reds and Colleagues (just have a feeling).
Div2 - St Pats, Forest, Lindfield and Hunters (my faith has one more week).
Div3 -Redfield, HAC, Blacktown, Newport
Div4 - Quinn's, Irish, Canterbury, Merrylands
Div5 - Maccabi, Burraneer and (coin tossed) Lice
Div6 - Chatswood, Covies and Wakehurst

Drove past Saint ground last night in St Ives. Hoping they train on Wed nights cause only 2 blokes kicking at the posts about 7.30 at night.

ValleyGirl

Bob McCowan (2)
ValleyGirl back for some vital tips... decided to keep a low profile after last weeks happenings.

Div 3 Tips only from me this week.

Brothers vs HAC: Can see HeavyB and his pals getting an absolute walloping here. In saying that, last time I tipped HAC so confidently they lost to Reddies... I wish Brothers the best but I hope they have something up their sleeve... otherwise it'll get messy infront of their ladies.

Iggies vs REDFIELD: Redfield at a canter here...

Blacktown vs VALLEY: wishful thinking, but i love us.

BEECROFT vs Newport: I like HeavyD's confidence... a few blokes returning... bitta pace.... does wonders to a teams confidence. The Man-Bun brigade still just a bit too strong. Beecroft by 7

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
ValleyGirl back for some vital tips. decided to keep a low profile after last weeks happenings.

Div 3 Tips only from me this week.

Brothers vs HAC: Can see HeavyB and his pals getting an absolute walloping here. In saying that, last time I tipped HAC so confidently they lost to Reddies. I wish Brothers the best but I hope they have something up their sleeve. otherwise it'll get messy infront of their ladies.

Iggies vs REDFIELD: Redfield at a canter here.

Blacktown vs VALLEY: wishful thinking, but i love us.

BEECROFT vs Newport: I like HeavyD's confidence. a few blokes returning. bitta pace.. does wonders to a teams confidence. The Man-Bun brigade still just a bit too strong. Beecroft by 7

The famous ValleyGirl kiss of death for HAC

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Does anyone know why the 2nd Grade match between Forest and Epping was 'abandoned'. My only though would be a serious injury?

Blue Mountains have really made a good fist of their opening 4 rounds. There upcoming match v Drummoyne is shaping up as a beauty!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Oatley 1s Forfeit to Canterbury. That was after their 2s got done 44-22, having already forfeited 3s.

Concerning.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

3 from 3

2 from 3. Raptors at home took it to Wakehurst but grabbed 2 red cards in the process. If proven, they're 1 Red Card away from losing points.

We had a really good contest going with Chatswood but one wayward kick, a couple of handling errors, and they pulled away.

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)
15 out of 22 seems to be the magic number... it's the lower divs costing me here but I'll start getting them right.

Blue Mountains doing big things in div1. Bravo
Picked Hunters Hill to wake from their slumber and got the Forest v Epping game wrong by a Forest 100m intercept with only moments to go. My spy at Epping also tells me the 2nd grade was postponed due to serious injury. Epping player in hospital. Not out of the woods yet. Godspeed.

After the first few weeks, who would have predicted Redfield and HAC going down? Not I... kudos to Iggies and the Bros who seemed to have rallied some troops from somewhere....

Strange days indeed mumma

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
I thought you'd never ask... Firstly, I do agree now that HAC aren't the club they have been. Personally, I think this is probably the 1st year they have completely moved away from any form of player payments (although I believe they probably cut down substantially last year after the Barraclough win in 2017). I think you guys are every chance of beating them this week also if you match their physicality up the middle. The 1st grade team we fielded on Saturday was very similar to the team we fielded against you in our recent draw. I'd probably say you guys beating Redfield is still the upset on the round. I did notice the Redfield 9 was out who is the best player in the comp IMO.

As for the lower grades, after the threat from subbies about canning our 3rd grade for the year, there was a massive push from everyone in the club to get blokes down for the game, which really seemed to work. This combined with ladies day made for a great turnout both on and off the field. Lots of old boys came down and we fielded a 3s for the first time. There were probably also a few ex 1's players that made the lower grade sides competitive. 2's were up 17-5 and should have gone on with it.

Talking point of the day was definitely one of the HAC second rowers that ran into the crowd and started swinging. He was soon joined by a few of his mates and it was on. Not a pretty sight in suburban rugby. All the boys being back combined with ladies day probably did make our crowd pretty feral, but still you can't leave the field and punch on with the crowd. Amazingly, in an age where you get yellowed for intentional knockdowns and repeat infringements, the ref didn't catch any numbers and everyone stayed on the field.

To the blokes credit, he actually came back into the clubhouse and participated in speeches and boat race etc and a bit of fun was had and all seemed to be forgotten and thats where it ends hopefully.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
I thought you'd never ask. Firstly, I do agree now that HAC aren't the club they have been. Personally, I think this is probably the 1st year they have completely moved away from any form of player payments (although I believe they probably cut down substantially last year after the Barraclough win in 2017). I think you guys are every chance of beating them this week also if you match their physicality up the middle. The 1st grade team we fielded on Saturday was very similar to the team we fielded against you in our recent draw. I'd probably say you guys beating Redfield is still the upset on the round. I did notice the Redfield 9 was out who is the best player in the comp IMO.

As for the lower grades, after the threat from subbies about canning our 3rd grade for the year, there was a massive push from everyone in the club to get blokes down for the game, which really seemed to work. This combined with ladies day made for a great turnout both on and off the field. Lots of old boys came down and we fielded a 3s for the first time. There were probably also a few ex 1's players that made the lower grade sides competitive. 2's were up 17-5 and should have gone on with it.

Talking point of the day was definitely one of the HAC second rowers that ran into the crowd and started swinging. He was soon joined by a few of his mates and it was on. Not a pretty sight in suburban rugby. All the boys being back combined with ladies day probably did make our crowd pretty feral, but still you can't leave the field and punch on with the crowd. Amazingly, in an age where you get yellowed for intentional knockdowns and repeat infringements, the ref didn't catch any numbers and everyone stayed on the field.

To the blokes credit, he actually came back into the clubhouse and participated in speeches and boat race etc and a bit of fun was had and all seemed to be forgotten and thats where it ends hopefully.

To others it may have been an upset, but we had 5 of our best players (probably the 5 best players in the club) returning from injury so we were always confident we were going to win.

Interesting about HAC, I'm sure they will rally this week at home after 2 big losses.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
To others it may have been an upset, but we had 5 of our best players (probably the 5 best players in the club) returning from injury so we were always confident we were going to win.

Interesting about HAC, I'm sure they will rally this week at home after 2 big losses.

Fair enough then. I imagine Jono Jenkins is pretty handy in div 3 subbies. Comp is pretty wide open probably with the exception of Valley. In reality we will continue to struggle away from home too, however if we can sneak into the 4 I'm confident we can beat anyone on our day.

S

Show-n-go

Fair enough then. I imagine Jono Jenkins is pretty handy in div 3 subbies. Comp is pretty wide open probably with the exception of Valley. In reality we will continue to struggle away from home too, however if we can sneak into the 4 I'm confident we can beat anyone on our day.

At what stage does duty of care come into this? Surely its not the safest thing in the world having Jenkins, a very recent professional retiree, up against Div 3 park footballers

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
At what stage does duty of care come into this? Surely its not the safest thing in the world having Jenkins, a very recent professional retiree, up against Div 3 park footballers

The only person he has injured this season has been himself. Subbies cleared it and we went through the correct international release process. Your 'recent retiree' claim is wrong, when he played rd 1 that was his first game of rugby in 2.5 years so well outside the current Subbies guidelines. He is 33, 2 kids and just wants to play some footy on the weekend.