• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2019

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Good subbies rugby at Porters today. Not a bad crowd considering Rats at home and how friggin cold it was.

Competitive footy all day and 1sts came back from 19-12 to score 19 unanswered points, with two yellow cards to boot. Breakers are Only a small side but super fit and super quick. Best defensive unit in the comp.

Twos a real arm wrestle and undefeated colts came back to salvage a draw against a very solid Iggies colts outfit.

Ref in 3s was comical but Iggies deserved the win running around a very young and large 3rd grade side that will be hard to beat come finals time.

I fear the best defensive unit in the comp is in for a bit of a touch up this weekend Heavyd..

Blacktown blew us away scoring 4 tries in about 15 minutes just before half time. The rest of the game was relatively even. 2 yellow cards and giving away 17 penalties doesn't help.

Blacktown have to win div 3 for mine. They have a simple gameplan but they're so hard to stop through the middle. Only thing is back end fitness and the lack of plan B.. Redfield are probably the only team with a kicking game good enough to consistently turn them around.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
I fear the best defensive unit in the comp is in for a bit of a touch up this weekend Heavyd..

Blacktown blew us away scoring 4 tries in about 15 minutes just before half time. The rest of the game was relatively even. 2 yellow cards and giving away 17 penalties doesn't help.

Blacktown have to win div 3 for mine. They have a simple gameplan but they're so hard to stop through the middle. Only thing is back end fitness and the lack of plan B.. Redfield are probably the only team with a kicking game good enough to consistently turn them around.

Certainly would be a big upset but we beat them in the 1st round when they ran out of puff so you never know. Potential cricket score or a small margin upset. Time will tell.

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)
Harry might be a wizard but you know Rumour Ron Weasley has a bigger wand and a fatter tip! 16 right last week. Not too shabby, Hermione

Div1 having a rest this week, allowing all the clubs to restock the paper bags for the 2nd half of the season.

Div2 - Well well well, here come Hunters Hill ready to stitch up the season with some "new blood". Some div2 clubs, they're starting to realise how the world turns for those in the leafier rugby enclaves. Barker, Pats, Forest, Epping

Div3 - Ag seem cooked. I certainly got that wrong but think my Redfield tip still has legs. Also, GO BLACKTOWN. I hope they win the comp, the club champs and go up to div2 and give that a shake. Brothers, Blacktown, Beecroft and BRedfield

Div4 Macq Uni, Berries, Irish, Quins

Div5 Burra, Lice, Lions

Div6 Savers, Wakes, Cove

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Div2 - Well well well, here come Hunters Hill ready to stitch up the season with some "new blood". Some div2 clubs, they're starting to realise how the world turns for those in the leafier rugby enclaves. Barker, Pats, Forest, Epping

Ok, well I'll bite just to show how far off you are (aaand I haven't posted in a while).

Our 1st Grade win on the weekend used 17 players - 15 who played in Rd 1 or 2. (13 1st Grade, 1 who started in Seconds against Forest last time and the other played in Thirds). Of the final two players, one played his first game for us in Rd 4 and the other played seconds Rd 5 after playing for us in the Sevens over summer (and the last few years).

Kinda get the feeling we're new like Alan Jones has modern ideas?

getemonsidesir

Frank Row (1)
A few interesting clashes this weekend in Div 2 & 3 with Div 1 having a rest. Be interested to see how some grounds hold up after the wet weather during the week

Div 2
St Pats v HH- This is shaping up to be very very interesting. Pats were knocked off last week by Hills & HH had a good win against Forest and are building momentum. This will be the case of how each pack fairs, if HH can do enough and give their backs some good ball they will win. Pats if they win the battle upfront with their big bodies they should return to winning form. Ill back Pats in a close one
Forest v Hills- 2nd v 3rd at Melwood. Hills would be happy knocking off Pats last week and Forest will be disappointed going down to Hunters. Makes for an interesting clash at Melwood that could go either way. Going to back Hills with the momentum of last week
Epping v Lindfield- Both teams have a chance to either get into the 4 or secure their spot and build a gap should HH lose this weekend. Epping smashed UNSW last week and Lindfield ground out a win v Barker. Should be a cracker and I think Epping will come away with the biscuits
Barker v UNSW- Barker need a win to stay in touch with the middle of the pack and UNSW well they need something to boost the spirits. Ill go with Barker here in a game that could go either way depending what team shows up for both clubs

Div 3
Blacktown v Newport- Match of the Round. Last time out Newport snuck away with the win at home. this promises to be a great clash at Glenwood. Ill back the home side to return the favour in a close one
HAC v Redfield- HAC look in tatters losing to Valley for the 1st time in God knows how long. But knowing them they re likely to pull something out when the chips are down and resurrect the season. But cant see that happening Redfield to take this one out
Beecroft v Valley- Valley will be flying after winning the local derby last week and Beecroft stuck with Redfield majority of the game. Think ill back Valley here to knock off the Croft
Iggies v Brothers- This game could be anything. Brothers need a Win to bridge the gap between them and Iggies with a win could almost and I say almost keep the chasing pack away with potentially a 14-15 Point margin with 5 games to go. Ill go with Brothers here as they will be desperate

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div 2
Bobs vs UNSW - Ski season is a dud so the BObs boys will be heading to europe to work on their tans. UNSW by 10
ST PATS/HH- A draw. What odds will anyone give me?
Forest vs HILLS - Battle of the knuckle draggers, I'll go with Hills for a convincing win over the men in green.
EPPING vs Lindfield - RAMs in a high scoring affair over old soldier.

Div 3
IGGIES vs Brothers - As the season wears on club depth through injuries will start to tell. Iggies at home for mine.
BLACKTOWN vs Newport - Would love to say otherwise but cannot see anything than a Blacktown victory. Newport to make it closer than many would think.
Hac vs ROBS - Im calling it, HAC are toast for the season with the clubs efforts going into a 2nd grade title defence from here.
BEECROFT vs Hv- Beecroft in a brutal battle.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
HeavyB's Div 3 Tips

Slow day at work so I'm back on the tips.

Iggies v Brothers - Fuck I hate these Ralph Lauren wearing concrete cowboys. Can't wait to hear the worst song in subbies rugby sung on the sideline while we kick off in 1's to get us nice and pissed off. Brothers by 17

Blacktown v Newport - Blacktown too big and too strong here. Notoriously poor travellers Newport to struggle back end of the year with a few big trips. Blacktown by 14

HAC v Redfield - Paper bags have stopped at HAC. HAC are the new Brothers, except we've managed to remain somewhat competitive in 1's at least. Redfield by 30+

Beecroft v Valley - Couldn't have been happier for Valley beating HAC last week. Can only imagine the scenes there at the bowlo afterwards.. They've worked hard all year and deserved a win. Can see them pushing Beecroft before fitness shows and Beecroft run away with it in the second half.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div6 Savers, Wakes, Cove

I'm going to say that Raptors will do Lane Cove, and hard.

We're actually going to have half-decent numbers for Manly tomorrow, which is a fucking shock given half these blokes couldn't be arsed showing up to some of our home games.

Will see what happens.

The Burke

Stan Wickham (3)
I suspect you might be right about the Raptors Pfitzy. The season has seen them get better and I suspect fitter than they were. I think the same could be said for some other teams where early season fitness issues are no longer a problem.

Div 2 - Bobs, Hunters Hill, Hills, Lindfield
Div 3 - Redfield, Beecroft, Iggies, Blacktown
Div 4 - Berries, Quinn's, Irish and Mac Uni (in a close one).
Div 5 - Lice, Lions and Burraneer
Div 6 - Raptors, Wakes, Savers

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I suspect you might be right about the Raptors Pfitzy. The season has seen them get better and I suspect fitter than they were. I think the same could be said for some other teams where early season fitness issues are no longer a problem.

I was talking to their skipper - a lot of them were also league players so they've also taken some time to get into the swing of defence for rugby. Nothing wrong with their attack, given their size and pace.

I'd say the only way to beat them now is playing 10-man rugby and making sure your defence is sharp.

I reckon they'll win the comp.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
HeavyB's Div 3 Tips

Slow day at work so I'm back on the tips.

Iggies v Brothers - Fuck I hate these Ralph Lauren wearing concrete cowboys. Can't wait to hear the worst song in subbies rugby sung on the sideline while we kick off in 1's to get us nice and pissed off. Brothers by 17

Blacktown v Newport - Blacktown too big and too strong here. Notoriously poor travellers Newport to struggle back end of the year with a few big trips. Blacktown by 14

HAC v Redfield - Paper bags have stopped at HAC. HAC are the new Brothers, except we've managed to remain somewhat competitive in 1's at least. Redfield by 30+

Beecroft v Valley - Couldn't have been happier for Valley beating HAC last week. Can only imagine the scenes there at the bowlo afterwards.. They've worked hard all year and deserved a win. Can see them pushing Beecroft before fitness shows and Beecroft run away with it in the second half.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
That result will derail their 2nd grade campaign. Plenty of rounds for the disintegration to wash throw the clu .

Just a harsh lesson in life after the cash. The sellsword guns for hire are gone.. we had the same. It's a tough adjustment

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We were 21-17 down against Savers with about 20 to go. We were down to 14 after a red card just before halftime. Pretty tough to come back from there and they finished over the top of us after a couple of injuries produced a drop in class for our outside backs - they capitalised.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That result will derail their 2nd grade campaign. Plenty of rounds for the disintegration to wash throw the clu .

Wonder how their player roster will look in coming weeks. The erosion may chase players off to other clubs.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Wonder how their player roster will look in coming weeks. The erosion may chase players off to other clubs.

Its already disintegrated pretty bad. Looking at fusesport from the weekend, I recognise maybe 1-2 blokes from last years team.

Then again 2nds are every chance of making a grand final...

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
CC race heating up.

In Div 2 to replace Balmain you have
Forest 1458
HH 1438
St Pats 1397
Lindfield 1371
of which only HH or St Pats would have an ambitions of 1st Div glory.

In the 2nd half fighting for survival you would think UNSw and HIlls are safe at 1091 and 1068.

So the fight is on with Epping or BOBS and I'd suggest BOBs may just put there hand up anyway given they cannot field a 4th grade.

In Div 3
ROBS 1614
Breakers 1532
Blacktown 1452
Iggies 1418
Top 4 all have a decent shoot at winning CC's but I know for a fact that none of them wish to go up.
In the fight for survival HAC 772, HV 600 and Brothers 518 battle it out to stay in the big league. Certainly some interesting match ups to come over the next few weeks that will decide several clubs long term futures.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In the fight for survival HAC 772, HV 600 and Brothers 518 battle it out to stay in the big league.

None will go down while they can field 3 Grades + Colts. Nobody in Div 4 has enough teams to come up, particularly with the utter shemozzle that Division has (once again) devolved to. No Colts options as far as I'm aware.

Divisions 5 & 6 have been pretty stable with only 1 forfeit this year, but when you look at what is happening in Divs 4-6 you can only come to the conclusion that something about the structure needs to change.

Northern Saints are good for 2 teams on a regular basis, and they're both running 7th (their Thirds are technically running 8th).

Oatley have given up Thirds, but will probably finish in the finals for 2s and are last in 1s.

Merrylands were always going to have a decent First Grade, right up until their numbers in 2s let them down. They were finalists in 2 Grades last year so no doubt they'll lose a few over that. You can't believe they'll be up for another crack at 4th Div next year.

None of the clubs in Divs 5 or 6 have run a 2nd Grade regularly except Convicts. I know Raptors have the numbers to do it right now but they're no guarantee of doing it again next year - winning the title might help that but they haven't been able to out-rugby a couple of teams this year.

Wakehurst have built some numbers but that north shore area is slowing crumbling under the weight of too many teams and the same player commitment malaise that is affecting many clubs it would seem.

So why not have a graded comp where up to 3 Grades + Colts play at different venues for the clubs of which they are composed? Harlequins, Canterbury, Irish, Briars, and Mac Uni can go ahead as stable units, then go up against a club where e.g. Merrylands are First Grade and Raptors 2s & 3s? Other clubs can fill gaps with the same rules they use in Rural comps: if you field 2 Grades, they must be consecutive.