• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2020

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah thats fair enough, unlikely to ever have more than 1-2 teams though.

Agreed - they've got seasonals like a few teams; of late it has been South Americans who have the happy coincidence of playing front row. But when they're not around, the old guys have to front up and

Will be interesting to see which clubs show up at the AGM. I've pinged Div 5 & 6 via email to encourage them to get down there and at least show enough to give a shit.

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)
Which clubs have the biggest beef? Who really hates who out there in Subbies land?

It's so dry out here in the food bowl, I need something to keep me moist. So juice me up with all your dribble about how much everyone hates Newport

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No hate. A new age has begun: Pfitzy is officially Div 5/6 delegate so its plain sailing from here.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
No hate. A new age has begun: Pfitzy is officially Div 5/6 delegate so its plain sailing from here.

We should arrange a match between Rouse Hill and Brothers 2nd/3rd Grade to crown the worst team in Suburban Rugby.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
How you guys shaping up for next year, BTW?

Not sure, haven't had a lot to do with it lately but I'd imagine horrendously. We're a 2 team club at best and I believ we've told subbies as much. Whether that means they'll put us in div 4 and let us not play 3rds like a few teams did this year, not sure. Otherwise div 5, but we would definitely have more than 1 grade every week,

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not sure, haven't had a lot to do with it lately but I'd imagine horrendously. We're a 2 team club at best and I believ we've told subbies as much. Whether that means they'll put us in div 4 and let us not play 3rds like a few teams did this year, not sure. Otherwise div 5, but we would definitely have more than 1 grade every week,

I'm doing everything I can to get Div 5 as a solid 2 Grades this year, and have as many clubs get Radford Cup up and about as I can.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm doing everything I can to get Div 5 as a solid 2 Grades this year, and have as many clubs get Radford Cup up and about as I can.

Issue with Radford is the colts being away from the rest of the club. Works okay for some clubs but I know we would lean towards playing essentially our colts as 3rd grade in div 4. We did that in 2016 before colts was a thing in div 3, played a team of colts in 3rd grade

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Also true but if we can at least get home games playing together that will be a step forward.

Would help if certain clubs weren't warehousing multiple Colts teams

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
NSW Rugby Maps based on 2019 competition (no juniors at this stage)

Sydney Rugby Union
https://www.google.com.au/maps/d/view?mid=19F6VHzq0INVMih7brFYPVnVK3A1n_cBA

NSW Schools Rugby
https://www.google.com.au/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Z9AN6ZgIGSyG6OAN9zhlHcvzPtvY5dyG

NSW Rugby (Country & Sydney)
https://www.google.com.au/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Dn13okv04n_SAFWxCaMyxRE68_fRAQ-3

I will look at combining Schools, Club, Premiership in 1 map next.

Sydney Rugby Clubs.png

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Based on that map they really should be targeting the South West of Sydney for serious rugby growth. I do remember that Liverpool and Campbelltown used to be giants of Sydney subbies. I also believe their should be a club from Bankstown (I know they previously had a club in the mid 2000's.

Of course I know this comes down to player numbers and resources

Sydney Rugby Map. Subbies plus Premiership clubs (filters available) based on 2019 structure. I will update once the 2020 structure is finalised.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/d/view?mid=19F6VHzq0INVMih7brFYPVnVK3A1n_cBA

This one is for all of NSW https://www.google.com.au/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Dn13okv04n_SAFWxCaMyxRE68_fRAQ-3

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Based on that map they really should be targeting the South West of Sydney for serious rugby growth. I do remember that Liverpool and Campbelltown used to be giants of Sydney subbies. I also believe their should be a club from Bankstown (I know they previously had a club in the mid 2000's.

Of course I know this comes down to player numbers and resources

I previously did this same map showing 2012 population data from the census. Some of Sydney's most dense population runs straight west from McDonaldtown through Dulwich Hill, Campsie, Bankstown, & Liverpool. The only club in this region is Canterbury.
Rugby_PopulationMap-NSW_Seniors-Sydney.png

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Massive blank spot around Kellyville?

If you are referring to the population data it is from 2012 census. The scale isn't shown, still plenty of population around Kellyville, just lower density compared to other parts of Sydney.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Well Menai is already gone. No Seniors team.
Add to that Souths Junior clubs struggled in '19 with 16s and Opens only fielding single combined sides.
Also note south west has Campbelltown and Camden playing in the Illawarra competition.
you'd just be fucking up Oatley, Canterbury, Menai and Engadine by doing that

S

Show-n-go

if you want south west Sydney teams to be formed look at Liverpool, casula area

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Menai played Halligan Cup in 2019 every round I think. Maybe missed 1.

Subbies have told them to join a formal comp if they want to play in 2020.